Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-04-2011, 02:04 AM   #1
badmofo

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback, Basic
Blow by

I don't post very much but have gotten a lot of good info from here and check the forums quite a bit, thanks everyone!

So tonight i changed the oil in my 07 LB then started it up to check for leaks. Upon exiting I noticed the engine sounded funny but proceeded to look underneath for leaks. No leaks, so got back up and noticed I didn't replace the oil filler cap then realized the odd sound was coming from there. No oil was shooting out, but could easily feel and hear the puffs of air from the oil filler hole.

I immediately think my rings are worn, but then think about how I am not burning any oil and averaging 45mpg. I've never checked this car previously for blow by.

Is this normal for this engine and has any of you noticed the same thing with yours?

My car (nicknamed the Sperminator by a certain unnamed friend - hey Bob, how much much do you spend filling your duelly?) has about 105k miles on it now and since I've purchased it and performed: regular oil changes, antifreeze drain/refill with toyota pink and regularly hugged her and told her how beautiful she is.

If you're interested, here's the car:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...583#post538583

Last edited by badmofo; 08-04-2011 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Injected some humor and other relevant information.
badmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
That is completely normal for every auto engine even when new..... nothing to worry about.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
badmofo

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback, Basic
Thanks!
badmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
victorddr

Drives: 07 Yaris CE
Theoretically in any combustion engine will have a minimum of 20% bow by due to mechanical limitation.
However, if you experience loss of power, noticeable oil lost or if you see bluish white smoke then you should start worry about your piston ring...
victorddr is offline   Reply With Quote