Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
Auto Transmission Fluid Change

Hey Guys.. & Scott :)

Wanted to get your feedback in regards to a simple auto transmission fluid change

The basic drain and refill indicates in the manual indicates 2.5L replacement of fluid... But if you pull out the filter (drop pan etc), a lot more fluid comes out... And in the shop manual it looks like the refill amount is 2.9L.. but a lot more them 400ml of fluid comes out when you pull the filter off...

Thanks guys.
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
You'll need 3.75 quarts, at least thats what mine needed, but I did use ramps.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Theres quite a bit more oil than that, maybe another 5 or 6 quarts, which is in the torque converter and cant be changed by removing the oil pan.

Because there is so much oil and because there are no combustion by products as there are in an internal combustion engine its probably not necessary to change the oil in an automatic transmission under typical operating conditions..

The 2000 ECHO I bought for my son racked up ~200k miles when we sold it and its transmission oil was never changed. The trans and engine ran normally when we sold it.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Not a 100% true. After I changed the trans filter, I no longer had a rough idle. It would seem that a dirty filter raised the hydraulic pressure (or pump load)enough to increase the load on the engine, causing a rough idle.

Had a small but noticeable increase in mpg as well.

So will a Toyota run till 200K miles with out a fluid change? Yes. Will it run better with fluid changes? Very much Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Theres quite a bit more oil than that, maybe another 5 or 6 quarts, which is in the torque converter and cant be changed by removing the oil pan.

Because there is so much oil and because there are no combustion by products as there are in an internal combustion engine its probably not necessary to change the oil in an automatic transmission under typical operating conditions..

The 2000 ECHO I bought for my son racked up ~200k miles when we sold it and its transmission oil was never changed. The trans and engine ran normally when we sold it.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Well if you really want to change all of the oil there are shops that will pump it all out even the oil in the torque converter.

But I hate to think what they get for that...