Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-11-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
New Android Head Unit for My '06 RS

I found a great deal on an Android 6.0 factory fit head unit. This will be the 5th one of these factory fit Android units I've bought and installed in my own various vehicles.

Specs:

CPU & OS: Cortex A7 Quad-Core, Pure Android 6.0 Capacitive Multi-Touch Screen,1GB DDR3, ROM 16G

Screen Resolution Option: 1024*600 for 7inch&8inch&9inch&10inch 800*480 for 6.95inch&6.2inch

Features 1: Steering wheel control, Subwoofer

Features 2: Bulit in Bluetooth, Microphone, Mirror Link

Features 3: Support the dvd player, disc, MP3 Player, USB, SD

Features 4: Support Radio Tuner, RDS, FM Frequency: 87.5-108MH, AM frequency: 522-1710KHZ

Features 5: Internet:Built in Wifi, support via phone as hotspot, support 3G/4G Dongle (3G/4Gdongle is option)

Features 6: Built-in GPS Navigation, support online map, include free map card

Menu language and Cae logo: More Than 40 Kinds Of Language and Built-in 50 Kinds Of Auto Car LOGO

Optional: Digital TV, OBD, 3G/4G Dongle, External Mic, DVR, Special Cable, Parking Sensor, Camera, Canbus, Tools

I'm currently online shopping for a 4-channel amp (maybe a Clarion xc1410 as I've owned two and they are an excellent budget Class D amp), four 2 or 3-way speakers (probably NVX as I've found them to be a great balance between cost and quality), tweeters and a powered subtube (I really like the MTX 8" tube and have one installed in our van. I may see what 6" powered subs are available due to space constraints.

I'll be doing my own install.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Very nice. Android Auto is cool stuff.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:12 PM   #3
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
No HD radio? Bummer...
Old 01-12-2018, 04:54 PM   #4
hotracer_05
Hmm, I see...

Drives: 2012 Toyota Tundra and Yaris
Im running Android HUs in both the Yaris and Tundra. Best bang for the buck imo
Old 01-12-2018, 09:55 PM   #5
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
No HD radio? Bummer...
No, unfortunately not. I hadn't thought about it as I normally use the units for music (PowerAmp app), Torque Pro and other apps. Your post did pique my interest though. I've been doing a little searching for universal HD Radio hardware. :)

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 02-17-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:59 PM   #6
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotracer_05 View Post
Im running Android HUs in both the Yaris and Tundra. Best bang for the buck imo
Yeah, ya gotta love them. So much versitility. My first one - for my 4th gen Dodge Grand Caravan - was WinCE 5.0. It was totally lame compared to the Android units. Other than the Caravan unit, all of the others have been the standard 6.2" screen. The unit I just bought is 6.95". I think the difference will be noticeable.

I'm about to move on the 4-channel amp and speakers. Also, comparing the Kenwood and Pioneer micro subwoofer units for under the driver's seat. I can't spare any room in the hatch. We just arrived for a hockey tournament and between my son's gear, a couple travel bags and my laptop bag, the Yaris was filled to the ceiling.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #7
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Where did you buy it?

I'm a little skeptical about sound quality of these Android devices.
I was going to get one Joying brand, which seems to be quite popular.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #8
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Where did you buy it?

I'm a little skeptical about sound quality of these Android devices.
I was going to get one Joying brand, which seems to be quite popular.

I picked it up from Aliexpress - the same place I bought my others. I can provide a direct link if you'd like one. I always run PowerAmp on my android devices. It improves the sound considerably, especially with the multiband EQ. The system in my van sounds amazing with relatively inexpensive speakers (11 of them including MTX 8" powered sub tube) and 4-channel amp. But, yes, out of the box, these head units have just so-so sound.

PowerAmp app http://powerampapp.com/

One disclaimer...

If one of these units fail, they are basically throw away item unless you're electronics-savvy or a willing to find an electronics repair shop willing to take a repair on. The return shipping to China would be cost prohibitive. That said, I have only had one unit fail. It was the touch screen. I still have the unit in my closet and the replacement screen - which is connected with plugs only - is about $40.00. At some point, I'll repair it and have it as a back-up unit for my Sedona. It's a Kia factory fit.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 01-14-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #9
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Very nice. Android Auto is cool stuff.
Thanks! Yeah, I love the versitility of the android OS.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:48 AM   #10
vivalaflam
Enthusiast

Drives: 07 Yaris HB 1.3 (EU)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
I picked it up from Aliexpress - the same place I bought my others. I can provide a direct link if you'd like one.
Yes please, do post a link:)

Im trying to find a cheap unit with at least 2GB of RAM though. We're switching to DAB in Greece and my Sony CDX-MP80 doesn't support it, and DAB adapters cost around the same as a headunit.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:58 AM   #11
IllusionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalaflam View Post

Im trying to find a cheap unit with at least 2GB of RAM though. We're switching to DAB in Greece and my Sony CDX-MP80 doesn't support it, and DAB adapters cost around the same as a headunit.
This is the one I have my eyes on.

http://s.aliexpress.com/3yAjy6JN

Old 01-16-2018, 06:05 AM   #12
06YarisRS

Quote:

Here is the link to the one I bought. I got my DHL tracking number yesterday. Since I bought mine the price has gone up from $207 CAD to $255 CAD.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-Di...ceBeautifyAB=0

However, while waiting for my tracking number, I discovered another unit that I would actually prefer, and it's less expensive. I has no DVD which would make more sense for me as I don't used DVDs but rather MicroSD cards. Also, this unit has DAB+.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Seic...999.262.iIKV30

DISCLAIMER: I make no assurances that these units are direct plug and play, but I suspect that they are.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:21 AM   #13
vivalaflam
Enthusiast

Drives: 07 Yaris HB 1.3 (EU)
Here's a cheaper one with working dvd and camera from ebay
Android 6.0 head unit 2GB RAM for Toyota
Old 01-16-2018, 08:14 PM   #14
06YarisRS

Quote:
Here's a cheaper one with working dvd and camera from ebay
Android 6.0 head unit 2GB RAM for Toyota
That's a nice looking head unit. The prices on the units I linked are in Canadian $. I got lucky and paid $207.00 CAD before it went to $255.00. The one I bought does have DVD. I was wrong about the 2nd one I linked having DAB+. You actually have to buy a DAB+ unit to connect to the head unit.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:26 PM   #15
IllusionX

I'm watching the Joying brand because they are supported and seem to be well known on the net. But yes, you can find other ones much cheaper. Though, I would not only look for just the price.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:02 PM   #16
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Though, I would not only look for just the price.

Makes sense. There probably is some variation in quality but I have always gone for the cheapest factory fit radio with the features I'm looking for. I think warranty is a moot point as return shipping cost on any of these radios is probably more than buying a new one.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:21 PM   #17
Whiplash

Drives: 2009 Yaris 4DR
^This is true. I ended up punching mine out of frustration...

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59063
Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:50 PM   #18
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
^This is true. I ended up punching mine out of frustration...

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59063
Haha! I read your thread a while back and chuckled. Not at your expense, of course, but I totally get the frustration.