Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-24-2015, 07:40 PM   #19
Flammable

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
The 1NZ-FE does have noisy injectors, but if it increases in noise it could be your clearance. More than likely though I would check your front exhaust gasket, they tend to go every 120,000km or so and a leaking exhaust will cause a tick type noice during acceleration and a bit during idle. I just replaced mine on both my Echo and Yari and they are both much more quiet because of it.

In response to Bronsin's original post:

I checked my clearance at 125,000km on my Yaris, all were within range.

I am pullin the head off of my Echo next month to replace stem seals and clean out sludge. I will be checking the clearance before I pull it off and will replace the valve buckets if needed. The car has 347,000km on it so it will be interesting to see how the clearance is. It is only slightly louder than my Yaris other than the "new" water pump (replaced 1 year ago) that is now chirping on and off
Thanks for the info tmontague. My Yaris is a 2012 and only has 34,500 miles on her. I don't think the exhaust gasket is leaking but this is something I certainly will keep an eye on. When I get a chance I may post a vid of it running. :)
Flammable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:29 AM   #20
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I wouldn't bother checking clearances until the 180,000km range, based on the shape mine were in at 120,000km I won't be checking htem again for a while. My engine has stayed very clean under the valve cover so there is no reason for premature wear. My finacees Echo has some sludge (bought it used at 287,000km) so I'm not too sure what type of clearance I'll end up finding.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:03 PM   #21
Flammable

Quote:
I wouldn't bother checking clearances until the 180,000km range, based on the shape mine were in at 120,000km I won't be checking htem again for a while. My engine has stayed very clean under the valve cover so there is no reason for premature wear. My finacees Echo has some sludge (bought it used at 287,000km) so I'm not too sure what type of clearance I'll end up finding.
Sounds good and thanks again for the info.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:10 AM   #22
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
I'd be suprised if the clearance is out of spec high and expect it will be slightly out of spec low. But it might be OK. Many must be.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:20 PM   #23
Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I'd be suprised if the clearance is out of spec high and expect it will be slightly out of spec low. But it might be OK. Many must be.
It's funny there used to be a recommended mileage interval to check valve clearance and then Toyota did away with that recommendation all together. I have heard of people putting a ton of miles on their Yarises and never checking the valve clearances one time. I imagine there is the occational engine that will have valve issues but it appears that is rare with these motors.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:25 PM   #24
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
After dismantling the head I'm working on, I was surprised that the valve had no visible makes from their seats. It's like they were all new still. I think the head oly had about 60k KM though so relatively low milage but still, I thought I'd see something. I think they have a coating of some kind on them.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote