Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Considering seasonal oil weight changes?

...or am I just wasting my time? I was considering using M1 0w-30 in the cold months and then switching back to the M1 5w-30 for the warmer months. Should I just stick with the 0w-30 all year round? From what I gather....it's better due to the cold flow efficiency.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Where do you live, northern Alaska........ southern Florida? Just how cold does it get?
For most regions, 5w-30 is just fine..

Last edited by RedRide; 08-05-2009 at 11:00 AM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
I would not bother with seasonal viscosity changes, particularly with those two oils as the specs are virtually identical- though from a technical stand point to be labeled a 0W the 0W-30 has to have better cold cranking specs. Luckily seasonal changes are no longer necessary.

My recommendation would be to use 5W-20 year round. Here is why:

1. Approved by Toyota via TSB (you can find and print it from the TSB collection on this site) for the 1NZ-FE engine in the Yaris. Keep a copy of the TSB in your glovebox just in case your dealer is asleep.

2. The 5W-20 will maximize fuel economy, ESPECIALLY during the period your engine is warming up.

3. The 5W-20 will be thinner at start up=less wear/fuel used.

4. The 5W-20 will provide better cooling due to better flow AND more turbulent flow. The thicker the oil the more tendency it has toward laminar flow which does not cool as effectively.

5. Based on the above the 5W-20 will be a better choice no matter what area of the country you live in or what your driving conditions are (unless you are racing or have a heavily modded engine).

Toyota did us a solid by allowing the use of 5W-20 and protecting our warranty coverage. Also if you are a Mobil 1 fan and are not opposed to shopping at Wal-Mart they have the 5W-20 in 5 qt jugs for $22 (great deal for more than enough to change the oil in a Yaris!) as well as the 5W, 0W-30.

They also have Pennzoil Platinum in 5W-20, 30 for $20.

These deals make it feasable to run syns and still change at 5k/6 month intervals to avoid warranty hassles.

Happy motoring!

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
DerFlosser

R2,
Great feedback. I am certainly not opposed to buying motor oil at WalMart, especially when they tend to offer the BEST price and have it readily available. 5w-20 it is from now on. Thanks again!
Old 08-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

DerFlosser,

No problem. I unfortunately have spent many sleepless nights pondering oil related questions such as these and doing years of research. One gentleman in particular has been very influential on me and he runs light weight oils such as these in exotic high horsepower cars including a Ferrari Enzo. I will try to find a link to his papers and post it. Like my brother told me-"If he can run 20 wt in an Enzo you can run it in a Yaris!". LOL

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

Old 08-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Here is the link to the papers I was referring to-thank you Dr Haas! I have always been fascinated by your papers and oil analysis reports!

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php...tor_oil_basics

Before the question comes up, Yes, as soon as my warranty is up I'll be switching to a 0W-20. I won't until then nor can I recommend it as the TSB specifically warns against it in engines not on the 0w-20 list (the 1NZ-FE is not which makes no sense, but it is what it is).

R2
-The Fitful One

Old 08-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
DerFlosser

excellent read and yes it appears as 0w-20 should be best based on what the guy states.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

DerFlosser,

Glad you enjoyed it. If you find this this kind of thing interesting Google bitog. Be forewarned-life may never be the same, LOL!

R2
-The Fitful One

Old 08-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
DerFlosser,

Glad you enjoyed it. If you find this this kind of thing interesting Google bitog. Be forewarned-life may never be the same, LOL!

R2
i never found bitog very user friendly for new people to the site.... Maybe I should give it another look, but the stuff I wanted to know wasn't in the articles section, and the forum is just a cluster ..... too hard to find what you want.

maybe I just have weird questions.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
PhilD424

Drives: Red Yaris
In NYC 5W30 is not good to use anyone living in NYC shouldn't use anything below 10W30 for the kind of driving we do here.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #11
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD424 View Post
In NYC 5W30 is not good to use anyone living in NYC shouldn't use anything below 10W30 for the kind of driving we do here.
Please explain...
-The Fitful One

Old 08-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #12
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
i never found bitog very user friendly for new people to the site.... Maybe I should give it another look, but the stuff I wanted to know wasn't in the articles section, and the forum is just a cluster ..... too hard to find what you want.

maybe I just have weird questions.
I know what you mean-it can take some digging to find specifics and some of the members get irritated answering the same questions over and over. It's unavoidable given the search function doesn't work for beans. There are a lot of great and knowledgable members there though.

R2
-The Fitful One

Last edited by R2D2; 08-08-2009 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Sp/Gram