Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-21-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Seat cushion for thigh, center armrest left armrest

Hey, i have found that while in my Yaris fast city driving where i can keep my right foot down pretty far is pretty comfortable, however around the city i have to keep lifting it up and down and my thigh isnt getting any support cramping my right leg. I am planning to get a memory foam cushion and sew it together with some sortof of round tube like memory/regular foam cushion so that it will extend out over the edge of the seat slightly and offer my thigh some support, then have my mom sew a nice black suede or micromink cover for it. Anybody have any better ideas for getting that thigh support let me know!

left armrest. Part of the problem is that in order for me to relax my left arm and at the same time hold the steering wheel i have to sit real close to the steering wheel, cant really kick it back and relax (i guess i have short arms) so i am planning to get some sortof low density foam about three inches thick, cover it in the same material as the cushion and velcro it on (maybe cutting it for shape so as not to look too ghetto) thus allowing me to roll back the seat and rest my elbow closer to the steering wheel, again, any suggestions let me know.

the center consol, i dont have 80 bucks for a center consol, hell i can barely pay rent and i have to buy tickets to japan to visit my gf and am supposed to be saving for an engagment ring (she thinks i have but i dont have any yet...ugh anyway i am thinking to get about 5 inch thick medium density foam covered in the same thing, slightly shaped, cut at the rigth hight and just plop it in.

if anybody else has any better suggestions please let me know, i cant stand the cramping, short arms i think, and if anybody has any suggestions on how to keep it from looking too ghetto please let me know! also if you can get me free trips to japan i'll take you out drinking sometime hope you all like your yaris
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
MrMondayNite

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Toyota dropped the ball on this one, it is not your short arms, you have to sit closer to the steering wheel, because the steering wheel does not telescope out. Toyota has the same issue with the Corolla, just check the reviews. This uncomfortable sitting position is the main reason why I chose my 06 Civic Ex over a Corolla. I like to streach my legs out when I drive. Another mistake by Toyota was putting the padded fabric all over the door,but not in the one place we need it the most, the door armrest. It is that hard plastic, that hard plastic should be on the door armrest. But I knew that when I bought my Yaris, still love it.
04 BMW 330 XI (Traded in)
03 VW Jetta GLX VR6 (gave to Dad)
01 Civic EX (gave to Mom)
MrMondayNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Drives: 2 2007 Yaris 3 door liftback
I have the same problem with other brands of economy vehicles. Having the seat back too far puts extra stress on both arms and legs. With the Yaris having a electric gas pedal, keeping speed is harder than with older mechicanal gas pedals. But you should keep your chest a foot away from the air bag. Too close to the air bag when it deploys and the air bag can crush your chest.

This idea is only possible in a vehicle with a automatic. There is another choice that just might be possible. Years ago I had foot surgery. I needed to drive with my left foot for a month. I have the cup holders, and the bottom of the center dash, removed in my Gremlin. Then I had a plate made to cover the exposed transmission cables. I was able to place my right foot in the center of the car.

But the dash in the Yaris looks like it is one piece. The knobs in the center of the dash of the Yaris are lower than the controls were in the Gremlin. Check the Yaris repair manuals to see if the dash can be disassembled into pieces. If the center console is one piece of plastic, cutting away the extra plastic, requires someone with experence. Other wise it will look bad.
ellenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote