Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-22-2016, 08:48 PM   #1
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Uninterrupted power to stereo during startup ?

I'd like to find a way for the head unit not to shutdown when starting the car, so when I play music from my USB drive, I'm not out of music for 20 seconds every time I turn my engine back on at red lights/traffic jams.

I have an aftermarket Kenwood Excelon and also a powered sub (SSL LoPro 8) that is remotely powered when the radio turns on, so that would also have to stay on.

The ignition wire only powers when he key is in, what about the power wire ? Does it also shut off during startup and if so, any easy way to bypass it or am I on my own from there ?
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:12 PM   #2
bassmannate

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
You COULD run your accessory wire (red) to an ignition wire and cut it from the accessory at the factory harness.

I wouldn't do it though. The point of putting accessories on a separate circuit is to reduce strain on the electrical system during start. I do get it though. Kenwood stereos take forever to boot.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
bassmannate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:21 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The ACC cut relay pulls power from the radio and power outlet when the starter is cranking. You can bypass the relay by pulling it (brown relay in socket attached to left side of under dash fuse panel) and jumping the center top terminal to the bottom most terminal of the socket.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:31 PM   #4
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
hahaha! that'll work!^^^^
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:32 PM   #5
David C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The ACC cut relay pulls power from the radio and power outlet when the starter is cranking. You can bypass the relay by pulling it (brown relay in socket attached to left side of under dash fuse panel) and jumping the center top terminal to the bottom most terminal of the socket.
I'd do that and add a switch, so in the winter I can undo the bypass during cold starts.

Second question : When using the climate control dial, on a 2007 HB, when set to colder, and the fan on (anywhere from 1 to 4), but without the AC button actuated, is there any power being consumed to try to keep the air as cold as possible ? Or does the AC only starts when the AC button is being used ?
Old 08-22-2016, 09:35 PM   #6
bassmannate

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
You'll have some load on the alternator to run the fan but nothing like the compressor would if you had the AC on.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
bassmannate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:45 PM   #7
David C

So I did bypass the ACC cut relay and the voltage drop is too much to keep the stereo from rebooting, so I'll have to add a capacitor to that 7.5a ACC circuit to make it work.