Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
robkay

Drives: Hatch
2007 hatchback making a weird whirring sound

Last Friday my wife came back from a 45 minute drive and told me that car was making a "noise." I drove it for a few minutes and it was definitely making a new noise. As soon as you start it you can hear this sound, not an raspy grind or anything, just sort of a steady whirr in the front.

During my test drive it was present at all times, all gears (automatic) all speeds--forward, reverse, park/stopped. All the time. The car seems to run fine, shifts through all the gears OK. The sound is almost a gear-like sound, but not quite. Tried A/C on and off, no change.

So, the next day I took the car out around town and the sound was gone. Gone until yesterday (Monday) when my wife again came back from her 45 minute drive. I made a couple short drives with the car today and the sound is still there. Not 100% certain, but I "think" the sound is coming from the end of the engine where the belts are. Fluids, including tranny, are all up where they should be.

I'm getting ready to off on a round trip of about an hour and a half drive each way, so I'm sure hoping it goes away again.

Mileage is 82,000. Haven't had to do a thing to it.

Anyhoo--anybody have a thought?

THX
robkay is offline   Reply With Quote