Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2016, 07:59 AM   #1
Vinceb

Drives: 2008 5 Speed Sedan
Transmission just died I think

Ok so great car, no major issues until yesterday.

Car is a 2008 Yaris sedan 1.5L Manual - no options
345,000km - all fluid changes performed as per toyota schedule

Drove to work yesterday, noticed nothing (85km drive), I left work yesterday, started driving and noticed a flapping sound, like something was caught in the wheel, stopped checked the car, couldn't see anything, kept driving, flapping noise went away around 3rd gear. As I was accelerating from 3rd to 4th I herd a whining sound, eased off the gas then back on and shifted to 5th, sound went away.
drove about 5 min, got up to 110km/h and I hear a noise like somebody was trying to murder a cat... or a serpentine belt slipping but really loud. I pulled off the highway as quick as I could. checked engine, couldn't see anything, serpentine belt was tight, no burning smell, nothing leaking.

started car, revved engine while in neutral with clutch disengaged, loud whining sound was there. revved engine with clutch engaged and no noise. at this point I was still able to shift gears. moved through gears as normal, clutch peddle still has normal pressure at this point. Attempted to shift into reverse and at this point lost control of gear selection.

With clutch engaged, not engaged, car running or car off, I can't cycle through the gears - doesn't matter what I do, shifter won't go left or right, seems like it could be in 3rd gear or neutral but can't tell.

took it to a mechanic my father trusts, they said they wouldn't charge me more than an hour to diagnose, they said based on what I told them, needs a new transmission.

My wife says junk the car due to age and KM's - I like it and want to keep it :)

How do i figure out if a 2014 yaris transmission will fit the 2008 ? I found one at a junk yard for $385 and only 45,000km on it.
or a 2008 with 100,000km on it for $215

I've done transmission swaps before (Subaru & Chev) just not on toyota.

I've had no major issues with this car until now and think it's still got life in it so i'm willing to put some money in even if my wife isn't lol.

sorry for the book, thanks in advance for any help.
Vinceb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission