Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
PlowTown Missile

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, '11 Yaris 5dr
New tires for our '08 & '11 Yaris...P4 vs Defender?

We have owned both cars since brand new and put at least 3k miles a month on them. They are our commuter cars but also do our long distances trips in them.

Her 2011 5door hatch needs new tires to replace the factory ones at 60k miles. Has averaged 37-39mpg since new.

My 2008 4door sedan needs new tires at 160k miles. I replaced the factory ones at 60k miles with Pirelli P4's and have 100k miles on them now. They actually still have decent tread left but they've been vibrating continually worse the last 30k miles and are cracking where the tread meets the sidewall. When the P4s were put on new, the car had a terrible vibration. They said it needed an alignment which was then done. Vibration was still there and it turned out to be a bad passenger front tire. They put another new one on and it cured 90% of the vibration. I'm pretty sure the passenger rear has been bad since new also so I never rotated my Pirelli P4s. That passenger rear has wore feathered since new even though a 4 wheel alignment was done when they were all pu t on. I'm also going to be having the dealer replace the original brakes on this car at the same time since it needs them. I'm still averaging 39-42mpg depending on how much I use my remote start to warm up/cool off this car.

I'm planning on keeping both cars til at least 250k miles (the sedan paid for itself a long time ago) so I've narrowed it down to these two tires. I'm happy with the way the P4s have performed except for the vibrations they've had (its 100% sure the tires are the vibration cause). I've also loved the Michelins on our RX350 and our Tundra so I'm torn between ordering another set of Pirelli P4s or the Michelin Defenders. Anyone have any experience with the Defenders that would make me feel they are worth the extra $$$?
Btw, I won't consider any other model tires but these two and both cars will be getting 4 wheel alignments immediately after the new tires go on.

Last edited by PlowTown Missile; 03-25-2013 at 11:51 PM. Reason: added additional information
PlowTown Missile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Michelin's all the way, Got the Harmony's now, very nice. But like what I see on their newest Defender. I also use Michelin X-ice for my winters-totally amazing after 4 seasons of use.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
People state gas mileage loss with the Defenders , but gains in handling , etc.. Go to Tirerack for reviews of both tires of interest . Let us know of your decision and how it goes for you .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
olgray
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 3dr.
Buy Hankook optimo 727's you will love them ! Have them on my 07 3 dr. best tires I bought in a long time !
olgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
I like my Defenders, I had no loss in mpg. They handle like an expensive sport compound from a few decades back. I have zero issue with these tires.

Driving today in rain, I found they handled just as good as dry.

Payed $107 each from Costco. 15/185/60.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yaris stance-1.jpg (460.3 KB, 122 views)
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
Hershey

^ Handsome devil . ^
Old 03-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
UberSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
^ Handsome devil . ^
Thank you, but how do you like the car?
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlowTown Missile View Post
We have owned both cars since brand new and put at least 3k miles a month on them. They are our commuter cars but also do our long distances trips in them.

Her 2011 5door hatch needs new tires to replace the factory ones at 60k miles. Has averaged 37-39mpg since new.

My 2008 4door sedan needs new tires at 160k miles. I replaced the factory ones at 60k miles with Pirelli P4's and have 100k miles on them now. They actually still have decent tread left but they've been vibrating continually worse the last 30k miles and are cracking where the tread meets the sidewall. When the P4s were put on new, the car had a terrible vibration. They said it needed an alignment which was then done. Vibration was still there and it turned out to be a bad passenger front tire. They put another new one on and it cured 90% of the vibration. I'm pretty sure the passenger rear has been bad since new also so I never rotated my Pirelli P4s. That passenger rear has wore feathered since new even though a 4 wheel alignment was done when they were all pu t on. I'm also going to be having the dealer replace the original brakes on this car at the same time since it needs them. I'm still averaging 39-42mpg depending on how much I use my remote start to warm up/cool off this car.

I'm planning on keeping both cars til at least 250k miles (the sedan paid for itself a long time ago) so I've narrowed it down to these two tires. I'm happy with the way the P4s have performed except for the vibrations they've had (its 100% sure the tires are the vibration cause). I've also loved the Michelins on our RX350 and our Tundra so I'm torn between ordering another set of Pirelli P4s or the Michelin Defenders. Anyone have any experience with the Defenders that would make me feel they are worth the extra $$$?
Btw, I won't consider any other model tires but these two and both cars will be getting 4 wheel alignments immediately after the new tires go on.
Wow. 100k on an entire set of 4 and still you still have tread remaining. Outstanding.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
RikBakke

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 Dr LB
I've never been disappointed by buying Michelins for my cars. I went to Yokohama for a while but switched back after issues with the Discount Tire private labels Yokos. Then tried Kumhos made in China - never again will I buy chinese made car or truck tires.
Now back to Michelin. I can't quite bring myself to pay the premium for Michelin for truck tires these days, though. The 2003 Expy has Generals now.
When the OEM Bridgestone RE92s wear out on the 2010 hatch, I'll likely get Defenders. By the way, those RE92s are lasting a lot longer than I expected for a tire with a wear rating of 160. At the current rate, I think I'll get 50k miles out of 'em or replace em after 4 years.
RikBakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #10
PlowTown Missile

Thanks for the replies. I'm scheduled to have the Michelin Defenders, brakes, and alignment done tomorrow at my dealership.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #11
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I know its not on your list but I would go with hankook optimos one of the best bang for your buck tires. I am looking to get some new tires within the next month and are going for some hankook ventus. I used to work for wheel works many years back and have seen a lot of back perilli tires we had to warranty not so much on Michelin.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #12
Hershey

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm scheduled to have the Michelin Defenders, brakes, and alignment done tomorrow at my dealership.
Keep us informed on their performance and fuel economy . Enjoy .
Old 04-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #13
PlowTown Missile

They're almost done with the '08 dr sedan. All new Michelin Defenders, four wheel alignment, transmission flush, spark plugs, battery, and clean/adjust brakes. All the Pirelli P4s had lots of life left but the fronts were cracked/dry rotted, passenger rear was cupped REALLY bad, and driver rear was in excellent shape. Amazingly, brakes weren't needed with 160k miles on them with plenty of pad left
Old 04-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #14
UberSilver

Quote:
They're almost done with the '08 dr sedan. All new Michelin Defenders, four wheel alignment, transmission flush, spark plugs, battery, and clean/adjust brakes. All the Pirelli P4s had lots of life left but the fronts were cracked/dry rotted, passenger rear was cupped REALLY bad, and driver rear was in excellent shape. Amazingly, brakes weren't needed with 160k miles on them with plenty of pad left
If there charging you for a four wheel alignment? After the work is done, tell them no way! as there is no adjustment for the rear wheels(other than a very large hammer).
Old 04-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #15
PlowTown Missile

Put a few hundred miles on it so here's some initial tire reviews...

Good: the Defenders are extremely smooth and very quiet. Traction is about the same as the P4s when new.

Bad: the Defenders have more tire roll when on onramps/offramps. Not even close in cornering.

Personally, I'll take the smoother/quieter ride over the cornering since I log a lot of miles. Overall, the car feels/sounds like new again. No more hard starting or rough idle with the new plugs. The vibration from the old P4s is completely gone. I can notice the difference in shifting (especially from a cold start) with fresh clean fluid. I was hoping to get another 100k out of the Yaris sedan before but I'm confident I can get another 150k miles out of it now.

Our 5dr hatchback goes in for Michelin Defenders Friday along with an alignment.