Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #19
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMo View Post
Funny but valid questions. Of course, but it isn't like you can test it out over a longer period of time. You can't drive it for say 30 miles.
I agree with you!! I had a couple of surprises myself when I took the Yaris home, even though I test-drove 2 yarii before purchasing mine. You can't find out everything during the test drive, especially when you have the sales guy yakking in your ears non-stop...

There is a transition time with every vehicle.

I know I had a hard time at first with the Yaris and wasn't all that happy with it in the beginning. I come from Honda (I had 3 Hondas b/f this Yaris) and the manual transmission in a Honda is VERY different. Plus, my last car was a CRX HF, very small, light, and low to the ground, almost half the height of the Yaris. Much different handling, completely different sitting position and visibility. So yeah, the first week was frustrating.

The good news is that you'll get used to it. The Yaris really grows on you.

Last edited by tomato; 09-18-2009 at 01:27 PM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #20
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
Remember that the Yaris also has a lever on the driver's seat that allows the seat to be moved up and down. Not for sure if that would help your problem though.
only in sedans
Old 09-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #21
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
The seating position is very different than most cars but, in my experience, can be made pretty comfortable by taking advantage of the pluses in the set up. The yaris is actually much more like the original mini than the modern mini (which is actually much lower than the original mini and the yaris) with its upright seating and somewhat horizontal steering wheel.

Original mini drivers (I'm 62 so I remember it first hand- my wife had a mini) developed what was then called the "mini slouch" which is similar to a bus drivers position vis a vis the steering wheel and pedals. In the slouch position you sort of lean your shoulders forward with your butt back and slouch towards the steering wheel to make the reach easier. I think some people can adapt to it better than others.
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #22
UncleMo

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan base model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Oh how true, oh how true.
UncleMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #23
advocate

Drives: car
Another tip is just to change the way you're comfortable with your foot on the gas. To be honest that's going to be hundreds of times easier than any changes you would have to make to the seat / its position / the harness etc.

I got used to the car one way but switched to a position much closer to the wheel for better clutch-stomping ability. It took some getting used to but it was worth it in the end.

I'm sure you'll feel the same way.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #24
2+2

Drives: 09 3Dr Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
have to tried puting the back of the seat in a more upright position? i find that helps
Another co-signer here. I find that putting the back of the seat just a single click forward makes all the difference.

But you wanna know something OP? It's not entirely PC to say so on this forum but this little car is a little weird that way. But it's got other things going for it so I guess it all balances out.
2+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #25
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Hi. Has anyone else felt overly uncomfortable when they first started out driving this thing? The radio and A/C controls are too far away by about 5 inches, and the steering wheel feels too far away too. I feel this way when I move my seat to the most comfortable spot in relation to the distance I want to be from the gas pedal. So, if I get comfortable in my seat position relative to the distance I want to be from the gas pedal, then I am too far from the steering wheel and the radio controls. However, if I scoot up so that I am only about one to two inches "too far" away from these controls and the steering wheel, my leg is too close to the foot pedal. I'm really uncomfortable driving this thing.
When I first got mine back in dec 07, the wheel was about 1" too far away. I'm used to it now... no longer an issue. Probably took 6months to a year to get used to.

Now, After doing probably 30-40 5+ hr one way trips.... my seat starts to get uncomfortable after about hour 3. The nice thing is... if I stop every 3 hrs, and get out and walk for 2-5 minutes all is good. I usually do 7-9hr drives tho with only one stop near halfway through it.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #26
2bad4u

Drives: 06 Toyota Vitz RS
I sat in mine and test drove it home after paying for it, sorry no test drive in JA
2bad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #27
2+2

Drives: 09 3Dr Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bad4u View Post
I sat in mine and test drove it home after paying for it, sorry no test drive in JA
That's harsh.

They let you sit in it and that's all you get? Buy or no buy.
2+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #28
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bad4u View Post
Bummer.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:40 AM   #29
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
only in sedans
I'm aware of that...the original poster has the Sedan....
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #30
2009BBPliftback

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB in Blazing blue
Send a message via AIM to 2009BBPliftback
I've found that the steering wheel would greatly benefit if it telescoped the only other gripe i have is the electric steering it seems a bit darty but its nothing i havn't been able to adjust to. I am surprised at how well it rides compared to my 1st gen xB i happen to love the design of the center stack hvac controls very symetrical.. good luck with your yaris buddy.
2009BBPliftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:38 AM   #31
Aothachos
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Aothachos Send a message via Yahoo to Aothachos
i test drove a yaris sedan before i bought one, after flooring the gas and everything i loved it and told them to ship a new one, got one with about 45miles on it.

After the first couple weeks the car is awkward but i got used to it and im really comfortable in it now, the steering wheel its perfect length away for my arms and legs
Aothachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:40 AM   #32
Aothachos
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Aothachos Send a message via Yahoo to Aothachos
Quote:
only in sedans
thats why they are better =P, and the seat adjusts pretty damn high, If i go all the way my head is touching the roof haha. A sedan can make a small person look 6'8" sitting down
Aothachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #33
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
i wish my seat would raise up since im only 5ft4. besides that i really dont find it to be uncomfortable.
DandiDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #34
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
I used to be uncomfortable when I first bought the car, but now I've lost 50 lbs and it's much better. If the seat doesn't fit, change the shape of your body!
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #35
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir A.Y. Atoyot View Post
I used to be uncomfortable when I first bought the car, but now I've lost 50 lbs and it's much better. If the seat doesn't fit, change the shape of your body!
Congrats on the weight loss!!!
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #36
andaconda

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
my leg is too close to the foot pedal. I'm really uncomfortable driving this thing.
Same problem here. I resolved it by raising up the front part of the seat by about 5/8" with a large nut. I tried several different heights and found this to be the most comfortable. You will need an "inverted torx" E-10 socket to fit the bolts. Be ultra careful not to cross thread them when you put them back in. I needed to replace the front bolts with a new longer metric with a hex head.
Attached Images

andaconda is offline   Reply With Quote