Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
mckulley1

Drives: Yaris
Exclamation Toyota Yaris Crash

If you are thinking of purchasing a Toyota, please watch this video.

2010 Toyota Yaris Crash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D80aC8g9mI
mckulley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Andrew should drive a little more carefully.
I really like the 2010 LB in Red, that will be my next purchase.
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
mckulley1

Andrew was not faulted in this accident.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
We have seen a lot of pictures like this over the past couple of years. The good news is that in each case the person has survived (which says a great deal about this little car). You didn't say what he hit head-on, but obviously is was something large enough to do significant damage.

I have only seen a couple where there was concern about the airbag not deploying. As for that, the sensors require a specific threshold to trigger, and considering where and how they are mounted, I can understand there being cases where significant damage occurs, without the airbags deploying.

As for your mention of Toyota's response to your inquiry: Any admission of questionable function would be a liability, so that is probably the reason for the pompous response. Did you file a report with the NHTSA (www.safecar.gov), as they would be the appropriate body to conduct an unbiased evaluation?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Not surprized . We're having a hard time getting TOYOTA to cooperate with us . See our posts in the D.I.Y. section referring to our matter . Those who have had their air bags not deploy may want to contact CONSUMER REPORTS ( http://www.consumersunion.org/pub/p/...omobiles_suvs/ , will find other organiztions to contact ) , http://www.consumersunion.org/about/...ld_l_mays.html , or the NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION ( www.nhtsa.gov/ ) to get TOYOTA to step up to the plate . Hope he is doing well . TAKE CARE .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
We have seen a lot of pictures like this over the past couple of years. The good news is that in each case the person has survived (which says a great deal about this little car). You didn't say what he hit head-on, but obviously is was something large enough to do significant damage.

I have only seen a couple where there was concern about the airbag not deploying. As for that, the sensors require a specific threshold to trigger, and considering where and how they are mounted, I can understand there being cases where significant damage occurs, without the airbags deploying.
+1, i couldnt have said it better.

air bags in some situations are better, in others they are worse. in early days of air bags many were killed due to lack of technology and they would always simply delpy under almost any impact. now they are so percise and will only deploy under certain conditions. the injuries andew suffered would not have been prevented/made worse by an airbag deployment.

if it was said the seat belt didnt lock or andrew flew out of the window and it WAS PROVEN he had his seatbelt on, then i could understand an official complaint but what info was given i dont see it as an issue.

my dad owned a stock pathfinder and one night a car made a left infront of him and he litterally ran the car over. the truck was a total loss, no air bags went off and my dad walked away (after the truck continued to hit 2 more cars)as for the accord that got ran over, air bags went off in accord and driver was seriously injured (accord was only doing about 20km/h and my dad was doing about 90km/h) accord was held at fault and my dad was thankful the airbags didnt deploy.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
not surprised hershey came into this..... lol, no hate
Old 11-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
not surprised hershey came into this..... lol, no hate
. . Whatever . .
Old 11-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
mckulley1

Yes, we reported it to the NHTSA.

The cracked ribs and compression fracture certainly could have been prevented or reduced with an air bag.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckulley1 View Post
Yes, we reported it to the NHTSA.

The cracked ribs and compression fracture certainly could have been prevented or reduced with an air bag.
That said, air bags have been shown to do their own damage, although less so to men.

Thank God he was wearing his seat belt. He would've landed into the following Tuesday if he wasn't. The cracked ribs are clearly the result of the seat belt force, but I'm not convinced that the airbag may have prevented that. Most of the seat belt pressure would still be there. At most, it provides just a bit more cushion to the chest. It mainly helps the head from snapping forward violently.

In any event, this particular crash should have resulted in deployment. Clearly, the entire front end collapsed and should have triggered the sensor.
Maybe there's the possibility of the sensor be crumpled in such a way that it gets disabled. Yes, ironic, but conceivable.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
Hershey

Try to have some more compassion and understanding to this matter . . The airbags should of deployed . There was another post regarding to this , www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31530 . We have a 2010 which the other 1/2 drives to work . Would be good to know that the airbags would deploy when some pinhead pulls out in front of the vehicle or passes someone on a double line on a blind corner , etc.. Happens quite often . Guess they don't see the YARIS as a threat .
Old 11-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #12
freedame
I've made a post!

Drives: yaris'
Personally I think the Yaris held up exceptionally well especially with no airbags deploying, if that's even true. Notice how well the crumple zones protected the passenger cabin. This video has really helped to increase my confidence in the Yaris. I've seen larger cars get hit head on and the passanger cab was totally demolished. Way to go Toyota.

Too bad about Andrew, but he lived and that's amazing workmanship from Toyota in my opinion.
freedame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #13
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
It looks like the car did it's job.....the passenger compartment is intact, heck, the drivers side door still opens & closes. Do you believe that if the airbags deployed that less injuries would have been sustained? Just curious. I would think surviving a crash like that would be enough, what more could the airbags have done there? Again, just wondering.

I rolled my Yaris a year ago and the seat & sidecurtain bags deployed. There really was no additional "safety" for me....I would have fared exactly the same with or without them going off. Airbags are just there to make you feel better about the relative safety of the vehicle you are driving. What you really need to look at is how the chassis is put together....again, it looks like your Yaris took it like a champ and nobody died......it did its job.

I don't want to sound cold....I am glad everyone is OK, but I think you are looking for something that isn't there.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #14
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
I understand what you're trying to say, yes the airbags didn't deploy, but everyone is alive and well today. You seem to make a really big deal about the airbags, but quite frankly, there is more to safety then just airbags.

Looking at your pictures, the car did exactly what it should have done. It crumpled up to absorb the energy of the crash and though your husband ended up with some broken bones...he lived. Would you rather have a car that has it's airbags deploy and doesn't have crumple zones and has the steering wheel shoved up into you and the pedals shoved up in your legs?

Even after watching this, I still feel confident in my yaris. You should be thankful that the car did it's job and that everyone is alive and well, not complaining that the airbags didn't go off. It could have been much much worse.
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #15
Killchain

Drives: '10 Yaris LB Polar White
I'm thankful that all your loved ones are alive. Yet it seems you only signed up for this forum,to tell us of this accident.
Check your owners manual about AB deployment. The YT video stated that the car was hit from behind and causing a spin, to be hit at the front end.
Again, I sincerely say that all family members are alive. But this forum is not the place for your issue with the Yaris or Toyota.
Killchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #16
mckulley1

If you purchase a vehicle with safety devices, then those safety devices should work properly.

If this is your attitudes then I hope each of you get into an accident and your air bags do not deploy. Then you can tell me how you feel about a safety device that does not properly operate!

I did not realize it was such a privilege to drive a Yaris that I should be "just happy" to be alive. I figured it also involved getting what you pay for!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #17
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckulley1 View Post
If you purchase a vehicle with safety devices, then those safety devices should work properly.

If this is your attitudes then I hope each of you get into an accident and your air bags do not deploy. Then you can tell me how you feel about a safety device that does not properly operate!

I did not realize it was such a privilege to drive a Yaris that I should be "just happy" to be alive. I figured it also involved getting what you pay for!!!

What an asshat you are for wishing anyone here get into an accident. I have been in an accident with a Yaris....a 3-door hatchback like yours and while it sucks, the car did it's job. I walked away but the Yaris was totalled. Your husband (or whoever) walked away too.....walked away meaning did not die or have limbs ripped off, etc.

The fact that your airbags did not delpoy had no effect on the outcome of the collision....someone was going to get hurt (and being a small car it was likely to be the Yaris driver). You really should be channeling this energy towards the real cause of the accident, which evidently was someone else doing something stupid. THAT is why your husband is injured, not because the airbag didn't inflate.

I have a feeling you would be here admonishing airbags if they had gone off and as a result your husband was more severly injured or even killed. I guess it's the old "who can I blame" scenario. Just chalk it up to "shit happens" and move on.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #18
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
answer: be more aware when driving a car that is significantly smaller than most other cars on the road you gotta be able to skill some shit out there make moves dip out stuff like that
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air bag, crash, toyota, yaris