Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
ProYaris

Drives: '11 5dr Meteorite Metallic
42mpg first tank heavy traffic not even trying.

I'm a self employed car currier I drive 200+ miles every day (minimum) and bought a 2011 5 dr AT on Wednesday... Got over 42 MPG on Thursday... not even fully broken in yet. And not at all trying.

Was doing 70 on freeways, AC on about half the day. hit several patches of DC/MD/VA beltway stop and go (probably a couple hours worth by the end of the day), lots of light to light, city driving as well.

The next fill up I pretty much did everything I could to get lousy mileage... I Ran the AC on full blast all day, drove the car harder (intentionally because it's damn surprising how peppy that little 1.5 is) and as luck (bad luck) would have it ended up in crawling traffic for nearly half the day (at least a third of my working day) still managed 37.9 MPG...

I can't imagine what the EPA did to manage their rating. They must have really flogged that poor test Yaris

I'll admit when I'm driving normally (Wednesday) I am a natural at getting decent fuel economy. I scoff at people who accelerate into red lights and brake hard, I roll eyes at people who are in a hurry to catch up to the car in front of them in stop and go (seriously do these people ENJOY sitting still instead of at least rolling along?); but that said I employ no specific "hypermiling" techniques, so I can't wait to see what kind of MPG I can squeeze from my Meteorite Metallic fun-box.
42mpg on first tank not even trying car driven and enjoyed 200-300 miles daily (Currier). Past Toyota's: 79 Celica SR5, 81 Corolla SR5, 89 Corolla FX16. Other past Cars: 65 Mustang FB, 95 Mustang 5.0, 2001 Mustang Cobra, more Jeeps (XJ's and YJ) than I can list.

Currently: 65 Mustang Vert, 3 Jeeps, and a new '11 Yaris
ProYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
You made a great choice for a vehicle-in your line of work especially.

That's great mileage right out of the box!

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
i've thought the same thing...like WTF did they do to get that kinda of mileage.

i have to beat the hell out of mine to get lower 40s, my natural driving & route is low 50s, upper 40s

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
Pacquiao

Drives: Yaris 5 Door Liftback
Toyota underrated the Yaris so as to not make the Prius look stupid. Imagine if the sticker said 42 mpg for 14K. And then you have a Prius with 24K price tag. Yaris = low profit vehicle Prius = high profit vehicle
Pacquiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

i plan on making a sticker for my back window

"My Yaris > Your Hybrid" then somewhere else have "53mpg"

-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-96 Tercel 4dr
Old 07-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
mileage is excellent UNTIL you start throwing aftermarket parts on it......
ROCKLANDTOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
@ MALIBUGUY http://www.cafepress.com/+53_mpg_euro_sticker,14760938

I am a member over on gassavers. generally everyone over there gets 30-40% over epa.

I am pretty confident that i could do much better than I am doing but I literally drive my car once a week (ok, maybe twice) and my fillups are once monthly. I am in the process of squeezing every bit of life out of my other car. 1997 cavalier currently at 216,000+ miles. also has been totalled twice. the tax value on it was $516 (or a nice set of tires).

got the yaris as a spare. when my car dies, it is waiting in the wings. it is hard not to drive it since it routinely gets 5-7 MPG better than the cavalier.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
teddy

Drives: 2008 5-door hatchback
Send a message via MSN to teddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacquiao View Post
Toyota underrated the Yaris so as to not make the Prius look stupid. Imagine if the sticker said 42 mpg for 14K. And then you have a Prius with 24K price tag. Yaris = low profit vehicle Prius = high profit vehicle
Except that it is the EPA doing the testing, not Toyota. Toyota perhaps rigged the car to do poorly in the EPA tests somehow, but they don't just simply drop the MPG numbers to make another model look better.

It's the same here in Canada too where Transport Canada does the tests, I imagine in other countries the same as well. Who would trust the manufacturer to do their own tests objectively?

Point stands though, how did the Yaris do so badly in the EPA tests when it is so easy to demolish their official estimates?
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Are we all forgetting the EPA updated their testing methods for all cars across the board? Even the Prius took an initial hit in the numbers. I don't see the numbers for the Yaris changing anytime with this gen and its engine.

Good job man! My first tank was what got me wanting more mpg.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #10
teddy

Drives: 2008 5-door hatchback
Send a message via MSN to teddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
Are we all forgetting the EPA updated their testing methods for all cars across the board? Even the Prius took an initial hit in the numbers. I don't see the numbers for the Yaris changing anytime with this gen and its engine.
I don't think that really has anything to do with the new (better IMO) testing methods.
The EPA numbers are FAR more conservative than the Yaris generally gets unless you drive very aggressively. More conservative than the estimates for other cars in the same model year.
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:56 AM   #11
songa

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan (Black)
congrats! when i drive alot of highway, i get around 42mpg without even trying too.

one thing i noticed that i think makes a big diff. in your mpg is the psi in your tires. i think i upped them to 40psi one time (up from the recommended 32psi) and i had noticeably better mileage. be aware though that too much pressure in your tires can be a dangerous move...i think 40 is fairly safe tho.
songa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
digitalrain

Drives: 2011 yaris rs
I've got the 2005 Echo RS and this is the only car I've ever had that beat the EPA mileage on the side window. I was blown away by the difference. I used to get 43 MPG(Can gallon) in the city and 55-57 on the freeway(without trying). They talk about 40MPG being a big deal now. But we've had it for almost 10 years now! I smile every time I see guys filling up for 75$ , knowing I'm paying half that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProYaris View Post
I'm a self employed car currier I drive 200+ miles every day (minimum) and bought a 2011 5 dr AT on Wednesday... Got over 42 MPG on Thursday... not even fully broken in yet. And not at all trying.

Was doing 70 on freeways, AC on about half the day. hit several patches of DC/MD/VA beltway stop and go (probably a couple hours worth by the end of the day), lots of light to light, city driving as well.

The next fill up I pretty much did everything I could to get lousy mileage... I Ran the AC on full blast all day, drove the car harder (intentionally because it's damn surprising how peppy that little 1.5 is) and as luck (bad luck) would have it ended up in crawling traffic for nearly half the day (at least a third of my working day) still managed 37.9 MPG...

I can't imagine what the EPA did to manage their rating. They must have really flogged that poor test Yaris

I'll admit when I'm driving normally (Wednesday) I am a natural at getting decent fuel economy. I scoff at people who accelerate into red lights and brake hard, I roll eyes at people who are in a hurry to catch up to the car in front of them in stop and go (seriously do these people ENJOY sitting still instead of at least rolling along?); but that said I employ no specific "hypermiling" techniques, so I can't wait to see what kind of MPG I can squeeze from my Meteorite Metallic fun-box.
digitalrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:42 AM   #13
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

i read somewhere recently that the EPA does not test every vehicle, that only something like 10% are actually tested...the rest is BS that the manufacterers feed the EPA...look at hyundai & chevy compacts advertising 40+....yet in a recent testing they barely got 30mpg...along with many others getting much less

i truely believe Toyota "downs" these cars b/c there is little profit from these & more from selling Priusseseses.

everytime i drive by a prius i laugh at them

-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-96 Tercel 4dr
Old 07-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #14
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
In my area now the Toyota ads I see on TV are bragging up the mileage of the various models. They skip from the Corrola directly to the Prius. If I was an ignorant consumer watching that ad, I'd never even be aware of the Yaris! WTF?
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #15
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

^ exactly

-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-96 Tercel 4dr