Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
Save gas tip, install lightweight wheels

I didn't think this would make much of a difference

but it really does.

I am averaging 1.5-2 mpg more on a whole tank just with the
use of lightweight aftermarket alloy wheels in stock 15 inch size

[this is interstate driving on rolling hills pinned at 68mph. this route is
where I do all my occasional mpg checks. out and back is 490 miles]
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Can you make the entire round trip on one tank or do you have to refuel?

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
Can you make the entire round trip on one tank or do you have to refuel?

I do 225 miles steady interstate, and then about 20 miles surface traffic which includes a fillup,
then 20 more miles surface speeds, then drive back 225 miles on same highway back to origin

I get 41mpg to 39mpg on my route, depending on traffic
and if I have to pass someone, or get accidental drafts, weather/wind...normal variables

it'll go to 42+ if i go slower than 65mph but I can't do that, it is not reasonable for the other
users of the interstate to deal with a slowpoke
Old 10-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
[devilsadvocate] What is the expected fuel cost savings over the life of the investment? Do you break even before the rims are unusable?

[/devilsadvocate]
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
It's always good to save gas. However depending on the cost of the rims it might take 80,000 miles to break even.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
[devilsadvocate] What is the expected fuel cost savings over the life of the investment? Do you break even before the rims are unusable?

[/devilsadvocate]
what ? rims unusable ? they have no lifetime. they will last forever if I don't damage them

I am not concerned with any of this, or hypermiling, or anything else along these lines.
I am just saying that MPG's will increase if you use lighter rims, which is a no-brainer anyway due to weight.

I am not going to factor anything else in, or compare the carbon footprint of manufacturing a steel
rim vs an alloy cast and all that tree-hugging crap.

cost benefit x time ?

the yaris handles better (steering is improved), accelerates quicker, stops faster, gets better MPG's, and these benefits are immediate

lessee...
I will throw out a wild guess...I reckon it will be somewhere near 47,000 miles
before I reap the cost of the rims if gas is 3.5 bucks a gallon. good enough if you are
going to keep the car for 100,000 or more miles
Old 10-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby View Post
what ? rims unusable ? they have no lifetime. they will last forever if I don't damage them
Well, I realized that as I was posting it, I just couldn't think of a better way to describe the length of time they will be in use, barring some catastrophic and premature end of your car. =) I'm very curious to see how this holds up long-term.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
I am thinking of getting an extra set of wheels just for my dedicated winter tires, so this is good to know.... there is a reason the big rigs use a lot of alloy wheels, and it ain't because they look good, they save fuel.
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
Ah Yum

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I have 11 lb wheels and NST underdrive pulley set. I hypermile, and last tank was 52.7 MPG US city. But that's through rigorous efforts. Lightweight wheel doesn't pay itself off through the marginal fuel savings. This coming from a city driver too. With constant load on the highway, any wheel-weight savings have even less impact on rotational inertia or fuel economy. It's mostly cosmetic and some acceleration improvement on first two gears. The length of your trip keeping your drivetrain in optimal operating temperature has more to do with your noticeable mileage improvement.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Yum View Post
I have 11 lb wheels and NST underdrive pulley set. I hypermile, and last tank was 52.7 MPG US city. But that's through rigorous efforts. Lightweight wheel doesn't pay itself off through the marginal fuel savings. This coming from a city driver too. With constant load on the highway, any wheel-weight savings have even less impact on rotational inertia or fuel economy. It's mostly cosmetic and some acceleration improvement on first two gears. The length of your trip keeping your drivetrain in optimal operating temperature has more to do with your noticeable mileage improvement.
my post stands.

Last edited by A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby; 10-14-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:13 AM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Gonna quickly chime in. I had two sets of rims, one lighter and one heavier. My heavier set gives me better gas mileage on the freeway, but poorer if it's city driving; and vice-versa.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #12
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

^ agreed
I am seeing even better mpg improvement on my short, daily work commute

avg usually 29 +-, now steady 32 +-
Old 10-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #13
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Gonna quickly chime in. I had two sets of rims, one lighter and one heavier. My heavier set gives me better gas mileage on the freeway, but poorer if it's city driving; and vice-versa.
Same diameter, width, and tires? The biggest factor in rotational inertia (by an exponential factor is wheel radius and not weight).

Rot.Inertia = Mass x (Radius^2)

But in terms of maintaining speed (e.g. highway driving), I imagine that rolling resistance (tire and width) would be a bigger factor than weight.

Reducing wheel weight and radius will increase acceleration and braking performance, which will have a positive effect on city/performance driving. It's the reason that any REAL sports car has the smallest wheels possible that will clear the brakes.

I suppose that increased rotational inertia will help keep the wheels from losing momentum. However, any reduction in losses will be 100% offset by the increase in energy needed to recover lost momentum. I'd do the math and equations for all to see, but I'm just too lazy.

I think the gains/losses people tend to associate with bigger (and sometimes heavier) wheels are attributable to the fact that they use a completely different set of tires, hence making any comparison invalid (e.g. grip, handling, traction, etc), or they completely ignore the relevance of wheel width, comparing stock 185mm wide 15's vs 215mm 17's.

PS I have no idea if that even applies to you, Kaotic, (and I think it doesn't, but I'm just rambling venting about a complete different subject matter).
Old 10-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #14
flg

Drives: Silver Toyota
I do better in the summer months than the fall and winter and spring. What hemisphere do you live in. Is warmer temperatures responsible for your improvement?
As many have posted wheel weight alone is an unlikely reason for such a gain. If you want better milage, don't install a CAI!
flg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #15
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

ok I am done testing with my new rims with the old goodyear L-crap OEM tires

just put on the new Michelin Harmony and they are .3 % smaller diameter, even though
the size on the sidewall is the same. odd. anyhow I will run new mpg sets with
the .3% offset programmed into scangauge for accurate results.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #16
flg

Drives: Silver Toyota
Your new tires are .075" smaller? How are you measureing that?
It is not uncommon for the tire size, as specified, to vary in actuall dimensions between styles and brands.
The actuall diameter for calculations should be 2 x the axle to ground measurement (Radius). That will also vary with tire presure/temperature and speed.
flg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #17
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flg View Post
Your new tires are .075" smaller? How are you measureing that?
It is not uncommon for the tire size, as specified, to vary in actuall dimensions between styles and brands.
The actuall diameter for calculations should be 2 x the axle to ground measurement (Radius). That will also vary with tire presure/temperature and speed.
with a GPS, car odometer, highway mile markers,
and canbus tool taking readings of speed from transmission

I have a lot of free time on my 225 mile trips

with the new Michelins mounted my car says I am going 70.2-.5 mph when
I am actually going 70...roughly. figured that is close to .3 percent smaller tire

so since I think I am very accurate (or nearly accurate) when I calculate
MPG's, I want to program the appropriate offset into my scangauge
Old 10-20-2011, 04:48 AM   #18
ljming99

Drives: Yaris '06
Take low rolling resistance tyres and install light weight wheel lug nuts =D
ljming99 is offline   Reply With Quote