Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
Yury

Drives: 2008 5 Door Liftback Auto
28 mpg?

Hi,

Just want to verify something quickly

Winter gas, no highway at all. Quite a few short trips (when the cold temp light only goes off only when the trip is almost over).

Getting 28 mpg. Sounds about normal to you, right?

PS When I do get to drive on the higtway, goes up to 33mpg on winter gas.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yury View Post
Hi,

Winter gas, no highway at all. Quite a few short trips (when the cold temp light only goes off only when the trip is almost over).

When I was in upstate New York I got about 28-29 mpg in the winter... Not the greatest, but still way better than my last car!

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Hi,

In line with what I get during the winter.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
Yury

ok thanks all.

my current cycle is pretty brutal. I am working from home and most drives are like 5 minutes. i basically run the engine cold most of the time.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
I guess it depends on how you drive as well. I get 36-38MPG with the snow tires on and 40-42MPG with the regular Goodyears.

The absolute worst mileage I've gotten in the Yaris is 32MPG and that was the first tank when it was new & shiny two years ago (~43K miles on the clock now). I drive it leisurely.....usually shift @ 2500 RPM and stick to the speed limit. My commute is 90% highway, so if yours is mostly city driving then it makes sense that your mileage would be low, but personally I would be upset if I got anything less than 30MPG!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
Yury

Driving style-not pushing it by any means.
It's not 'mostly' city, it 100% city with a cold engine most of the time. Can't think of a worst use mileage wise.

Before I started working from home, it used to be mostly highway. On winter gas going ~70 mph on the highway I got 33 consistently. However, the highway had slow traffic on occasion, so it's hard to compare.

When I started off with this car, it was pretty bad. I ran a few tanks of the injector cleaner, kept up the tire pressure, cleaned the throttle body and maf. Throttle body job increased the mileage to what it is now.
The car is low mileage and in seemingly great shape, so I can't think of anything else I can service...If anybody has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
ok thanks all.

my current cycle is pretty brutal. I am working from home and most drives are like 5 minutes. i basically run the engine cold most of the time.
That's pretty brutal, but 28 mpg isn't too bad considering. When I was in the Army it was a nine mile commute into work by 6:30 for PT. Took about 45 minutes with a lot of it just stopped in traffic waiting to get into the gate. I was pretty surprised that I did that well on fuel!

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
Altitude

Quote:
ok thanks all.

Pretty much my situation exactly. Work from home, mostly short trips. 33-36MPG's during summer, 28-32 during winter.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
Yury

Poured in half a tank today, did the math. 24 mpg...yikes, that's terrible.
Something is not right.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #10
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
I was getting mid 40's all summer, and then winter hit right about the same time my favorite gas station starting sell ethanol blended gas Since then my last tank came in at 38.6 MPG.

Mine is stripped of extra weight, 45 lbs of air in the tires, and I drive careful but nothing extreme. I'm always suprised to see other's getting the lower numbers, and have to think that barring mechanical issues it must be driver technique? No offense meant, maybe I'm just lucky and "got a good one"?

On a related note, I ALWAYS get better mileage in my light sport plane then others, and I mean like a full gallon an hour less fuel burn (3.2 GPH V 4.5). I think ANY engine pays big dividends in lesser fuel burns with what seems like minor backing off on the throttle with minimal speed difference. I have noticed that when I jump out of the Yaris and into my day job vehicle (42,000 lb. boom truck) I drive them both EXACTLY THE SAME, as weird as that sounds. And no, I have no idea if I get better milelage then other boom truck drivers, but I sure hope so.
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahotom View Post
I'm always suprised to see other's getting the lower numbers, and have to think that barring mechanical issues it must be driver technique?
Vehicle mods that add weight, driving technique, climate, terrain, regional ethanol levels etc. all these things can improve or harm MPG's. And, if you live where I do, that big-ass hill I have to climb every time I leave the house (over half mile of 10% grade.)
Old 12-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #12
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
28-32 is what I am used to seeing in Northern Maine during the winter. I let the car run about 2 min at most after initial starting. I did have some confusing situations last winter where I was actually only getting around 24-26mpg for several tanks. Took it to the stealership and they could not figure out why. I have seen no influence either way being boosted so far this winter compared to NA mpg performance over the first few years of having the car. I can tell you that this car does not like to idle without sucking down fuel. Comparing mpg really needs to be done with others in your areas. You cannot get accurate impressions from people around the country (ies) because of environmental variables. For example I ALWAYS get better mileage north of Virginia than I did south of the state. Barometric pressure, humidity, altitude, etc all need to be taken into account not to mention the quality of the provider and the fuel you purchase from them.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #13
Yury

Well, I hope that's one of those one off kind of things. Maybe abnormally high amount of ethanol.

Reminds me, I got an off tank or two with my Prelude this summer. I was getting 27 like clockwork, but all of a sudden it'd be 22-24 and next tank back to 27.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:03 AM   #14
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Even 24 MPG doesn't sound TOO off when you're doing all short city trips in the winter
Old 12-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #15
Yury

I'd still prefer better. I used to get this kind of mileage from a 2005 vibe, which is about 20% heavier. Admittedly, it was with mixed driving though.
I will see about what else can be tuned up. I have a new air filter, the tb is clean. The car is very low mileage, but it has been consistently subjected to a brutal city cycle for the last couple of years or more. Throttle body was definitely dirty before I cleaned it up this fall. Presumably it was like this for a while, maybe spark plugs got fouled up. Will replace and see.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:59 AM   #16
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
Consider a block heater. If your thermostat isn't even opening for a majority of your trips, that really is about as brutal and inefficient an enviornment as you can run an engine in.

Maybe run thinner synthetic oil, and consider a transmission flush and replace, or changing to Redline MTL if you have a manual box. Spark plugs and throttle bodies aren't something you normally would clean/replace inside the first 75K miles, but I guess it can't hurt. Also, it sounds like a myth but also consider where you purchase your gas. For a while I was buying the cheapest stuff I could find which was usually Kroger or what not. As Kroger gas got more in line with Shell and Texaco even with the 3c discount, I ran a few tanks of Shell gasoline through and noticed that I was getting 50-75 more miles a tank under the same conditions.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #17
Yury

good advice, thanks.

TB was indeed dirty and I got a good mileage improvement after cleaning it. Unusual, I know. That's why I wan't to try new spark plugs...who knows.

My gas comes from a reputable station that I have been using with my other car with good results.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #18
Yury

I just thought of something. Maybe the key problem is not the duration of the trips per se, but the overall amount of driving. I just realized that I barely consume a tank a month. Maybe I am getting a bit of condensation due to ethanol in the fuel. Not enough to cause any other issues, but enough to make the engine inefficient.
I should probably try stabilizing the fuel and see.