Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-17-2012, 04:23 AM   #1
4odh4n

Drives: 2001 Yaris 1.0l
2001 Yaris flashing hazards when ignition off!!!?!

hi all, first time poster, but am hoping you guys can help, as i am at al loss!!

i have a 2001 yaris since new and it has never given a days bother... until now! I came out one morning last week and the car battery was as dead as a nail, I got the car started with jump leads, no problem, left the car running a while to charge up the battery and all seemed fine, then when i turned the car off the hazard lights starting flashing!!... basically with the ignition switched off the hazard lights flash, doesnt matter if the key is in the ignition or out, car is locked or open, just once the car is switched off they start flashing! the car will still lock and open as normal, and from what i can see the 'security' light on the dash flashes normally too. (there is no alarm fitted to the car, only imobilizer)

once started, or even 'switched on' the hazards stop flashing and everything works perfect, including indicators, hazards (when the button is pressed) etc!

it started doing this after the car came back from a valet, i assume it started during the night and flattened the battery, as i have had no problems with the battery before this. I only got the outside valeted so no water near switches inside or anything.

what are the chance the jump start has fried the flasher relay?, or could there be damage done somewhere else?? The car has been jump started on may occasions before with no problems

I am going to hopefully get my hands on a relay today somewhere and try replacing that, is there anything else i should look at??

tia!
4odh4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
is it possible you got your hazard light button pressed on...?

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
My first thought was that it was an alarm system that got in a strange mode after the battery died, but as you don't have an alarm, that can't be the case.

On your 2001, all of the circuitry involved is located within the flasher relay module. The module gets ignition switched power from the 10A GAUGE fuse and constant power from the 10A HAZ fuse.

The flasher module has two outputs to the left and right side lights and three inputs from the left and right turn signal switches and from the hazard light switch.

If your car has power door locks, then there is an extra connection to the hazard input from the door lock control relay. Since the problem only occurs with the ignition off, if you have power locks then I have a feeling that the Door Lock Control Relay may be the culprit.

If you have power locks, try pulling the 25A D/L fuse from the under dash fuse panel to see if that makes the problem stop.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:29 AM   #4
4odh4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
My first thought was that it was an alarm system that got in a strange mode after the battery died, but as you don't have an alarm, that can't be the case.

On your 2001, all of the circuitry involved is located within the flasher relay module. The module gets ignition switched power from the 10A GAUGE fuse and constant power from the 10A HAZ fuse.

The flasher module has two outputs to the left and right side lights and three inputs from the left and right turn signal switches and from the hazard light switch.

If your car has power door locks, then there is an extra connection to the hazard input from the door lock control relay. Since the problem only occurs with the ignition off, if you have power locks then I have a feeling that the Door Lock Control Relay may be the culprit.

If you have power locks, try pulling the 25A D/L fuse from the under dash fuse panel to see if that makes the problem stop.
hey man, thanks for taking the time to post the info above unfortunately removing the 25A D/L fuse did not stop the hazards from flashing, removing the 10A HAZ fuse stops them, or removing the flasher relay itself.

I have since also managed to get my hands on a service/repair manual for the yaris, and as you said, all the circuitry for the hazards is located within the relay its self, so I am figuring it has to be at fault? I have found a local breakers yard were i can get another relay to try so I will see how i get on with that
Old 01-18-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4odh4n View Post
hey man, thanks for taking the time to post the info above unfortunately removing the 25A D/L fuse did not stop the hazards from flashing, removing the 10A HAZ fuse stops them, or removing the flasher relay itself.

I have since also managed to get my hands on a service/repair manual for the yaris, and as you said, all the circuitry for the hazards is located within the relay its self, so I am figuring it has to be at fault? I have found a local breakers yard were i can get another relay to try so I will see how i get on with that
Actually, you would prefer that the issue be the flasher module, rather than the D/L control relay, as the flasher is much less expensive. From your test I would agree that the flasher module is bad.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:32 AM   #6
4odh4n

Well the plot thickens on this problem!, I got flasher relay yesterday and it was no good, so i started a bit of further investigation.
I checked a few different things just to rule them out, i disconnected the hazard light button in the dash, i disconnected the connector from the dash fuse box that sends the power to the flasher bulbs, none of these made any difference so I went bac to the central locking as it appeared to be the only thing that could be causing the problem.

I decided to investigate what sort of electrics went to the door lock motors, as the car had been recently valeted i figured if water had got in there somehow it could be causing the problem. I started taking the door card off, and when i pulled out the plug for the door unit with elec. window switches and door lock button etc, the flashers stopped!!

I am slightly pleased in that i have finally narrowed down the problem down!, but now I dont know if it will be the swtich unit in the door, or if the problem does indeed go back to the door lock control unit. I have my suspisions it might only be the switch unit in the door, as if the door lock control unit was at fault, removing the fuses controlling it should have stopped the flashers?

I am going to try and source a used door switch unit, but if that does not cure the problem and as it is an 11 year old car I think i am going to source the wire which is going from the door lock control unit to the flasher relay and disconnect it, will leave me with no flasher confirmation that that doors have locked or unlocked, but it should cure my problem.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I just noticed that there are also power inputs from the DOME and GAUGE fuses to the door lock control system, so you would also have to remove those two to verify that the door lock control relay is the culprit.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:51 AM   #8
4odh4n

well I have this problem sorted!, it turned out to be the door lock control unit at fault, it was just sending constant power to the hazards for whatever reason! I took the easy way out and just nipped the wire from the door lock control unit to the hazard relay and this has cured the problem! I now have no flashes when i lock or unlock the doors, but as the buttons on the key for the remote central locking no longer work either i always just turn the key in the lock anyway!

Big thanks to CTScott for pointing me in the right direction