Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-14-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
vicky

Drives: Yaris 2010
Deactivating the lost key.

Sometime back, I bought a used Yaris 2010 sedan which came with 2 keys (with remote lock).

It looks like, I've lost one of the keys. I'm currently using the other key. However I'm worried about the lost key falling into the wrong hands.

When I asked my dealer about deactivating the other key, I was told that I have to replace the entire set (keys + car receiver) which will cost thousands.

I'm fine with one key for now. Is it possible at all to just deactivate the other key? Or if I have to replace the whole set, as the dealer told me, what would be the way to go about it without costing me thousands?

Any advice on what I can do at this point would be greatly appreciated. I tried searching on the forums but couldn't locate a direct answer.
vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Vicky, I believe your dealer is correct, and it would be cost prohibitive.

Perhaps a "kill switch" would suffice. Of course that wouldn't stop someone with the lost key gaining access to the inside of the car, just prevent driving away with it.

And since you're soliciting advice, I would get a second programmed key as a back up.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
vicky

@NEexpat

Thanks for your helpful reply.

Any pointers on how I can activate this "kill switch"? I apologize for not knowing the terms.

At this point, I'm just looking to prevent someone driving away with my car. I don't care about them getting access to the insides (atleast for now).

I'll try to get another key as a backup, but this could take weeks. Meanwhile, it'd be great if I can erase the lost key. I understand, the key also has an electronic code. Is it possible to perhaps erase/change the code?

Thanks...
Old 11-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Vicky, a kill switch which can be installed at a reputable garage inexpensively, basically interrupts the ignition of the automobile. Even with the correct key the car won't start.

It is usually hidden or disguised within easy reach of the driver.

Around here you can get a programmed key at ACE hardware for about USD $75.

As far as changing/erasing the code there are several others here who speak to that better than I can.

Good luck.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Individual keys can be deleted using the Toyota Techstream provided that the key that remains in your possession is the "master key" for the system. If the Master is the lost one, then unfortunately you would need to replace the keys and the ECM (engine computer) in order to have a new master.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
vicky

@CTScott

Thank you for the very helpful info.

I presume I have to go to the dealer for this. Or is Toyota Techstream downloadable somewhere? If it is easy enough, I can give it a shot.

BTW, I found one of your older posts on erasing the remote door unlock for older keys. ( http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29721 )
If I erase all keys and just add the current key (using rewrite and add modes), it won't affect the engine immobilizer system, correct?

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
vicky

I just replied, but can't find my post. Trying again.

@CTScott

Thank you for your very helpful reply.

For Toyota Techstream, do I have to go to the dealer? Or is it downloadable somewhere? If it is easy enough, I can give it a shot.

I also found a couple of posts with replies from you to similar issues.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29721
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29472

Thank you for your detailed replies. I have a couple of questions.

Am I correct in assuming that the keyless remote door unlock and the engine immobilizer are independent of each other? If I do the door unlock procedure, it shouldn't affect the immobilizer (and viceversa)?

I seem to have one of the master keys, so I should be able to do both. The keyless remote door unlock seems less scary :-). If something wrong happens, I should be able to open the door manually, correct?

Tags
key remote, lost key