Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #451
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
I'm keeping all these notes for later, once the time comes I'll stop playing and get some real numbers.

As of today I only have the LOW frequency mid-bass (6.5 drives in the doors) working with one amp. I hope by next week I'm going to have all 3 amps running and start playing with the location and orientation of the Mids and Tweeters like you did with a towel next to the A-pillars. For sub right now I'm just going to plug in a 10" Bazooka that I was saving for my wifes corolla.

As you wish... there are many colors one for each day!

derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #452
derickveliz2

This one is for you sqcomp...

Old 08-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #453
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Good man...you found the illumination setup...

:D
Old 08-10-2010, 01:22 AM   #454
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Good man...you found the illumination setup...

:D
I know, this is the only fancy feature of the Carrozzeria, after that it's pure SQ

Old 08-10-2010, 02:48 AM   #455
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

...and the stellar EQ, crossover section, TA, and four DACs...
Old 08-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #456
derickveliz2

Thumbs up

For the first time in months I put back my son's car-seat and took him for a ride, What a pleasure to talk to him and to listen to him without screaming each other, it felt so good!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #457
derickveliz2

In the last few days... I put up a shed, sanded and painted my deck and last night I came to the conclusion that I hate wires!. Yes I just don't like them I'm glad that the P99 installation is so simple and I don't have to run active cross overs or EQ's and deal with more wires.

But! it has to be done, 2 amps are running now 1 for Low Frequencies (63-500) feeding 6.5 speakers in the doors the other one for Mid Frequencies (500-6.3) [this numbers are for reference only, I don't remember the exact numbers] feeding the HL-70.

What can I say... sounds awesome!!! I have never ever hear and feel music coming from little speakers like these. I swear there is a woofer some where in my car but no the 6.5 speakers are working great! the rear view mirrors started to blur a little bit (I'm going to have to apply some Mat behind them) and the HL-70 (I only plugged one on the left) produces the most beautiful sounds I ever heard coming from a speaker. All songs suddenly sound pretty.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not an installer or an EQ guy with experience but I had LOUD SPL systems in my previews cars (one day I was at MacDonalds -this is back in Guatemala- and at the drive-thru I turned the volume up and the ceiling tiles with a light fixture fell off on top of my car, people could hear/feel me coming 3 or 4 blocks away) so all this new thing about EQ it's new for me and a wonderful experience.

I also played with Time Alignment on the HL-70 and suddenly feels like the speaker is outside the car to the left, this is truly amazing and something different for me, I can't wait to go back in my car and listen to more music! and do some more work, even though that means dealing with wires

Old 08-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #458
derickveliz2

Hertz HL-70s shown on A- Pillars and now lets play with aiming and location. Still don't know if I'm going to integrate in one peace into the A-pillars or maybe I'll build a separate semi sphere and attach it mechanically.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:32 AM   #459
derickveliz2

Ok, I'm convinced ....

What ever I hook up in this system is going to sound good!

All 3 amps are running now, the 4 channel amp it's only running 2 channels, it's waiting for the tweeters that I haven't connected.

2 Hertz 3" at the A-Pillards
2 Hifonics Zeus 6.5 in the OEM front doors
1 Bazzooka Tube 10" in the trunk

Yes! a Bazooka !!! and sounds awesome!!!
I still remember how my three 10" Solo-Baric sound, and it hurts to recognize that the Bazooka out performs them, now I have to give them a try and compare! and I don't know if its because I had a Tacoma X-tra cab and the Sedan configuration helps with bass, also all the Matt applied and here is wher I make the difference in Deadening a car for Road noise or make it rattle free and better acoustical environment; what I can tell you is that all the sound deadening works it's way out too, I crank up the volume and step outside, it was very quiet!

Honestly I think is the magic coming from the P-99 with all the audio control to each speaker you can make everything sound GREAT! I was playing this morning turning on/off the woofer and NOW I understand why is so important a good mid-bass in the system, I used to do the same, but every time I turned the woofers off there was no bass left over, instead with this system when I turn the woofer off, there it is all the bass I was missing in other systems, this is more like a drum what we call tight bass, and then when I turn the woofer on, a wonderful deep bass fills in naturally.

I still have a few tweeters to play with or decide to go HAT $$$

Premier small tweeters

JBL T-25 Tweeters

and the tweeters that came with the Zeus

But I'm sure what ever I put there it's going to sound good, the tweeters are going in small spheres near the 3" Hertz.

I really would like to have HAT tweeters for sure, lets see how every thing goes!

Here is an image of the underestimated bazooka tube that sounds great!

These are the specs for the Premier:

PS... I still hate wiring

Last edited by derickveliz2; 08-16-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: added a new image
Old 08-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #460
changchewsoon

Drives: Vios Turbo
Send a message via MSN to changchewsoon Send a message via Yahoo to changchewsoon
the head unit looks wicked!
changchewsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #461
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by changchewsoon View Post
the head unit looks wicked!
Thank's it is wicked cool all what it does with sound!
Old 08-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #462
derickveliz2

Last night did some more wiring for the tweeters.

I played with all 3 tweeters been the JBL the best and loudest and the Premier the softest and less harsh, the Zeus tweeters fell off right in the middle.

I may just go with the Zeus for now, I know I can set it up to sound the way I like it. The JBL are so good but big, ugly and old. And the premiers are too small.

BTW the sound clarity was very similar on all 3 tweeters and the overall sound of all 4 channels (sub, low, mid, high) together is amazing. Now I have to do some more wiring and start working on the A-Pillars installation.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #463
FcukThis

Drives: yaris
just mold the h70's into the pillars and wrap them up!
FcukThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:36 PM   #464
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

He says JUST mold them into the pillars...

You're such an instigator sometimes. :)

It'll take a good while to fab up and make look proper. I'll offer this as well, look at placing the mids down by the kicks. Do a test with them facing 45 degrees off axis to you in the little kick panels down there. You SHOULD get the audible illusion that they're at ear level on your dash...

How about that for a teaser?

What were the crossover points, slopes, and levels you used on the tweeters? How's the center image with the mids?

AAK! I know it's just me...but that storage pocket on the mounting kit is making my clench my jaw. Are you going to do anything with it, like put a scan gauge piece there?
Old 08-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #465
FcukThis

Drives: yaris
Just a suggestion... :]

It really depends how far you want to go with your install. And whether or not you're comfortable with fabbing. Sure it takes a patience and practice, but once you learn how to do it--it really isn't hard.

I mean you could always use pvc cups like me. Took me 20 minutes to mount them.

Check out the diy mobile audio forums-- They got tons of build logs archived. A good way to get some ideas sparkin'.

Here's a link to the build log sub-forum-
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-build-logs
FcukThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #466
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FcukThis View Post
just mold the h70's into the pillars and wrap them up!
Yes, that's what I would like to do.

Doesn't sounds easy for a newbie, though
Old 08-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #467
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
look at placing the mids down by the kicks. Do a test with them facing 45 degrees off axis to you in the little kick panels down there. You SHOULD get the audible illusion that they're at ear level on your dash...

What were the crossover points, slopes, and levels you used on the tweeters? How's the center image with the mids?

AAK! I know it's just me...but that storage pocket on the mounting kit is making my clench my jaw. Are you going to do anything with it, like put a scan gauge piece there?
I rather not moving the mids down there, but will keep in mind as plan B

This is how far I've been playing with crossover points and slopes; all levels are at +/- 0

Center image (the person who is singing) is some where in front of me like 2 or 3 degrees to the left and 1 down. The TA on the graph above show how I have them just by ear. Honestly it's hard for me to know what I'm looking for, so far my good will has been where "Sounds Better" I mean awesome. But I'm sure my settings are all wrong so I'm hopping you can point me in a direction. I wish I had other SQ guys around here to listen to their systems.

So far sounds amazing and some songs that I just skipped last week just because didn't sound good, now I'm listening because they sound really good.

The storage pocket... mmm I don't like it either but for now I'm just going to use it as a sale point for my wife and tell her, "see and I even made more storage" jeje. we'll see what happens later.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:53 AM   #468
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FcukThis View Post
Just a suggestion... :]

It really depends how far you want to go with your install. And whether or not you're comfortable with fabbing. Sure it takes a patience and practice, but once you learn how to do it--it really isn't hard.

I mean you could always use pvc cups like me. Took me 20 minutes to mount them.

Check out the diy mobile audio forums-- They got tons of build logs archived. A good way to get some ideas sparkin'.

Here's a link to the build log sub-forum-
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-build-logs
I'm sure I would get some thing done, I've looking around other installs, and practice is what I need and don't have, I've been digging DIYmobileoudio for a while now trying to get ideas, it's a matter of time and choices.

Which one is your thread?

Thanks

D.

Last edited by derickveliz2; 08-16-2010 at 12:14 PM.