Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
MasterShake

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr 5 speed
TRD rear sway bar brackets and bushings

I've had my car for almost 3 years now and a few years ago I picked up a rear sqay bar that I never got installed...

Now that I want to get it installed, I seem to have lost the brackets and bushings for it.

Does anybody know where just the brackets and bushings can be purchased?
MasterShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
packetrace

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
you only need bolt nuts washer...
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
MasterShake

I need the brackets and the bushings though, right?
Old 10-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
Sirius-XM
Toyota (TM) Shareholder

Drives: 2007 Jade Yaris Sedan
If it's the TRD Rear Sway Bar it bolts directly on to the trailing arm, no brackets, no bushings
Sirius-XM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
MasterShake

I thought it came with the c clamps for under the car since it comes with no sway bar from the factory
Old 10-20-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
Sirius-XM
Toyota (TM) Shareholder

The Yaris has a torsion beam suspension so the sway bar isn't really a sway bar in the conventional sense but is instead a reinforcing spring for the torsion beam. It attaches to trailing arm part of torsion Beam. If this is the TRD Sway Bar for the Yaris (PTR11-52071), the installation instructions over at TRD Sparks where I got mine.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
MasterShake

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
At least you can get the TRD Rear Sway bar ... I have had 2 dealers here in Canada say that it is NOT available in Canada. So .. sucks to be us.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:53 AM   #9
403RS
#yyc

Drives: BSP '07 RS 5dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
At least you can get the TRD Rear Sway bar ... I have had 2 dealers here in Canada say that it is NOT available in Canada. So .. sucks to be us.
I called the dealerships in Calgary, and they said the same thing...

...Until I gave them the part number from TRD Sparks (p/n PTR11-52071), and they said that they could get it, but it would be coming out of Vancouver and be big bucks.

So that swayed me to get the UR instead.
403RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
The Whiteline sway bar installs that way.

Quote:
I thought it came with the c clamps for under the car since it comes with no sway bar from the factory
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
Sirius-XM
Toyota (TM) Shareholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
The Whiteline sway bar installs that way.
I wouldn't touch the Whiteline Sway Bar. For the sake of adjustability they are adding several points of potential failure. Rube Goldberg would be proud. It also is not a true swaybar either as a true swaybar attaches to the cars body and not the axle.

Either of the two different UR or the Trd Sway Bars should fit anyone's application.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ None of them are sway bars, to be correct about it. You make it sound like the UR or TRD ones are. They are not. All are torsion bars. For the sake of common language we use "sway bar" so more people will understand where it goes and (more or less) what it does.

Further, I haven't seen a Whiteline sway bar break. For any car, not just the Yaris. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, of course.

With that said, we offer both types of torsion/sway bar so each customer can choose what's right for them.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #13
Sirius-XM
Toyota (TM) Shareholder

Quote:
^ None of them are sway bars, to be correct about it. You make it sound like the UR or TRD ones are. They are not. All are torsion bars. For the sake of common language we use "sway bar" so more people will understand where it goes and (more or less) what it does..
Where do I make it sound like the UR and TRD are real sway bars. I clearly stated in a previous comment that the TRD sway bar isn't really a sway bar. The UR bar is similiar to the TRD bar.

The Whiteline sway bar has only been out a year or two. More parts mean more points of failure. I have the TRD bar. I would have no issues with using the UR bars that you sell. I would not be comfortable with the Whiteline.

Last edited by Sirius-XM; 10-22-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #14
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
The Whiteline looks much larger in diameter and its adjustability is a real advantage. The only reason I got the TRD was that it tucked up so neatly underneath the car.

tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #15
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
^ I never realized the Trd bar fit differently than the ur. It sits way up into the crease in you torsion beam.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #16
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
Torsion bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius-XM View Post
The Yaris has a torsion beam suspension so the sway bar isn't really a sway bar in the conventional sense but is instead a reinforcing spring for the torsion beam. It attaches to trailing arm part of torsion Beam. If this is the TRD Sway Bar for the Yaris (PTR11-52071), the installation instructions over at TRD Sparks where I got mine.
The way I understand it, a "torsion bar" IS the spring mechanism. If thats so, how can the Yaris have both a torsion bar AND coil springs?

Anyone old enough to remember the old VW Beetles (NOT the Macpherson strut equipped Super Beetles...thats a different story) knows what a true torsion bar suspension is, as they had it front and rear. You wont find a coil or leaf spring on the Beetle because they were suspended (suspensioned?) on true torsion bars. Springs which ran from side to side of the car within a tube, under "torque", or twisting tension, hence the word "torsion".

I don' t believe Yaris has a torsion bar in the traditional sense of the word.

When I'm not driving my Yaris, I'm doing this:
http://gogogordy1.wix.com/scooter-aficionado
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ The coil springs are for up and down movemente. We are talking about the horizontal "spring" that we call a sway bar/torsion bar. Different movement. It doesn't come with the car, but the torsion/sway bar is what we are talking about. When the car goes into a corner, the bar resists being twisted, just like your spring example. This transfers weight.

The front bar on the Yaris IS a sway bar - independent suspension up front.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #18
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
Quote:
^ The coil springs are for up and down movemente. We are talking about the horizontal "spring" that we call a sway bar/torsion bar. Different movement. It doesn't come with the car, but the torsion/sway bar is what we are talking about. When the car goes into a corner, the bar resists being twisted, just like your spring example. This transfers weight.

The front bar on the Yaris IS a sway bar - independent suspension up front.
Agreed. I was clarifying Sirius' mis-statement re the Yaris' suspension type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius-XM

A sway bar is indeed a torsion spring, but the rear suspension on the Yaris isn't a torsion bar set-up, as Sirius-XM says it is. It isn't.

The sway bar isnt "a reinforcing spring spring for the torsion beam", as he states. It's a torsion spring to be installed (in the case of the Yaris) on a coil-sprung solid type rear axle. Same net effect, but not acting on a torsion bar type of axle.

When I'm not driving my Yaris, I'm doing this:
http://gogogordy1.wix.com/scooter-aficionado
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote