Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Should I buy the header
Yes 4 25.00%
No 10 62.50%
Maybe 2 12.50%
Added one to many options 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2007, 11:25 PM   #1
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
buy or don't buy

I was wondering if this would be a good product to buy. I know there is the megan header but idk. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6681746&rd=1,1
Attached Images

Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:42 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
That is the Megan header dude. I don't think Megan actually made the header... I think they bought the design from whoever did. Apparently EB Stores did too, and I'm sure they won't be the last.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:25 AM   #3
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
I really don't want to be a downer here but I will give my opinion.

Save your money for a turbo kit. You might think its a lot of money and you are correct. In the long run you will be a lot happier. Dropping a couple hundred dollars on small mods adds up fast and you will would be lucky if they all added up to 10% HP gain.

The stock manifold is actually tubular already so there is not going to be some huge gains. Wait 6 months until a few turbo kits hit the market, take the money you saved by not buying small mods and put it towards a turbo kit and put the rest on a credit card.

I have been through all of this on my Neon. N/A sucks. There is no satisfaction in it at all.

The only hope I see for a N/A Yaris is if a company comes out with a retuned ECU. At 10.5:1 compression and 87 octane the ecu has a seriously small timing curve. If someone could bump up the timing to take advantage of premium fuel there might be hope.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:32 AM   #4
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
How much would a turbo be (timer, gauges, installation, ect...) and how long would the car be gone?
I'm starting to think it would be a great idea to get a turbo.

I agree it feels like all I do is get little gains all over but nothing really big.
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:44 AM   #5
acrbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSIbucky View Post
How much would a turbo be (timer, gauges, installation, ect...) and how long would the car be gone?
I'm starting to think it would be a great idea to get a turbo.

I agree it feels like all I do is get little gains all over but nothing really big.
We are going to have to wait and see how much kits go for when they come out. If someone comes out with a log manifold and uses an inexpensive turbo it might be on the cheaper side.

Installing a turbo isn't some insanely difficult task.

I know I can find someone to build a manifold, and if you based the kit off of a stock turbo from another car it could be really cheap. Like say a 14b turbo from an Eclipse since they are small enough and cheap/plentiful.

I bet in 6 months there are a handful of kits available.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:57 AM   #6
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
turbo would definitely be the way to go :)

Doing all the bolt ons historically hasn't been a tremendous help to these motors... turbo or SC IS a big help :)

the headers look exactly like hte megan headers... not a big difference, but if your staying N/A they might work.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:34 AM   #7
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
It is kind of risky!Does it fit the 1.3lt engine model?It says all models...
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:41 AM   #8
spkrman
Banned

i would doubt it
Old 01-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #9
ChinoCharles
Banned

Turboing a car, even with the cheapest parts, is still going to cost you thousands and thousands, not to mention the increased risk of blowing your entire motor, which leaves you SOL... and we all know how strong the 1NZ's internals are.

So, for someone with a ton of money in the bank and nothing to do with it, sure... a turbo is a great idea. For those of us that are scrapping for every last dollar and using the Yaris as our daily driver... not so much.

In short, if the Yaris is your only car and you're thinking about a turbo, you're insane... BUCKY. Stick to your cheap N/A mods and get your 10%.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:17 PM   #10
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrbill View Post
I really don't want to be a downer here but I will give my opinion.

Save your money for a turbo kit. You might think its a lot of money and you are correct. In the long run you will be a lot happier. Dropping a couple hundred dollars on small mods adds up fast and you will would be lucky if they all added up to 10% HP gain.

The stock manifold is actually tubular already so there is not going to be some huge gains. Wait 6 months until a few turbo kits hit the market, take the money you saved by not buying small mods and put it towards a turbo kit and put the rest on a credit card.

I have been through all of this on my Neon. N/A sucks. There is no satisfaction in it at all.

The only hope I see for a N/A Yaris is if a company comes out with a retuned ECU. At 10.5:1 compression and 87 octane the ecu has a seriously small timing curve. If someone could bump up the timing to take advantage of premium fuel there might be hope.

Do you know of any respected company that could retune the Yaris ECU? Maybe if we get a bunch of us asking and sending emails we could attract some attention...
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:26 PM   #11
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
everyone talks of how un-robust the 1nz is but has anyone actually found anyone whos blown one up? Anyone on the scion side have trouble with boost and internals? just out of curiosity.
Almost all bone stock blocks and components these days seem to be able to handle in or around 6lbs without any catastrophe. I cant imagine blitz or anyone else would even consider making kits if they knew damn well the engine was going to grenade itself.
Shouldnt be too long before chips and tuners will be available, christ superchips makes products for any car it seems no matter how odd. Wait a year and there will be so much stuff available for this platform everyone will be asking 'which' products to use.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
spkrman
Banned

well this motor has been in the scions for a few years without alot of backing, at least relatively speaking.

From what I've gathered, the only way to retune anything is a whole new EMS.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:03 PM   #13
ChinoCharles
Banned

Yeah, youd need a piggyback system... plus tuning, you're talking a lot of cheese. Until you have an intake, a full exhaust, and some other goodies, don't even consider it.

Bucky, buy the crank pulley from NST. It's 40% less than that header and performance gains should be similar.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:19 PM   #14
acrbill

I built a turbo kit for my PT for $650 using top shelf parts. Granted the car had a factory turbo so I didn't have to worry about a fuel system.

There are supercharger kits out there for $2500. ZPI has a turbo kit for the scion for 3k, it even includes a FMIC. $1,000 on 10HP or 3k for 75hp.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #15
acrbill

Check this out. $2,249 for a turbo kit. It might need a little modding to fit the Yaris, but nothing too difficult I bet.

http://www.hopupracing.com/grtukittoscx.html

better yet $1,870

http://sgpracing-store.stores.yahoo....ukitfor04.html
Old 01-03-2007, 08:31 PM   #16
ChinoCharles
Banned

Then buy it and let us know how much more money you end up spending on installation, tuning and other unforseen costs.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:47 PM   #17
acrbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Then buy it and let us know how much more money you end up spending on installation, tuning and other unforseen costs.
Anyone who is remotely handy or has a handy friend can install a turbo kit. Tuning shouldn't be too bad since these kits seem to use e-manage and there has to be several maps available to get you started. Scheduling some dyno time to get it fine tuned is no more expensive than a before and after dyno when you install a header.

I have installed several turbo kits on to non factory turbo cars. Those cars where actually more difficult since you could not use electronic fuel enrichment like the e-manage, you had to plumb a return line and use a RRFPR.

In the end its up to each person. IMO the Yaris will never be fast with anything short of an engine swap.

I'm just tossing ideas out there.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #18
ChinoCharles
Banned

Yes, I agree... you're just tossing.