Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Lightbulb It's not me, it's you...... MUST READ

I feel YarisWorld needs some changes. I feel that a lot of members have left us and or choose not to look on the forum anymore because it's a bit on the boring side lately. You can go hours these days without a new thread or even a post.

Is it the Yaris? Are people not as happy with there Yaris as they used to be as there are newer cars out?

Is it the economy? Are people afraid to lose their jobs for looking at the forum whilst work? Or are people that finacially crippled that they cant afford net at home?

Does anyone have some constructive and serious suggestions on how we could make YW more interesting (without harping on about the hack)?

Also, if you find yourself leaving this forum due to boredom, where are you going to (on the web)?

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
Old 04-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
jinxor

Drives: Yaris 3dr YRS
A lot of us regularly visit the forum...
As far as I go, it is the recession.... and the itch in the bum to go and get excited about orsm parts on the forum....
I am not that mechanically sound, which I am trying to learn....
I reckon, we are a lot more active then some other forums Ive been to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
they look in and i tell them "come on man, its stock, its slow, look its ricy as fuck, look at the fur, im a ricer man"
Old 04-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
SailDesign

Drives: .
I'm here often, but due to the lack of $$ brought on by unemployment, I stay away from the "look how many $$ I spent on my car" threads, and am playing more in the "Other stuff" areas.
I will get rims/tires for the Black Pig when things ease up, and get back into "What should I do next?" But later.
Still fun here, though.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
it's a combination of factors really i think? i know personally i have more work commitments so i gotta cut off my pewrsonal time in the sday, and yeah the economy does not really help anyone...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 04-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I am relatively new to the forum, but I find it interesting, useful and fairly active. I clear all the new posts after I review the list, and there is usually 1-3 pages of postings every time I check it (about once or twice daily).

I don't think there is anything wrong with the forum, some may lose interest in it after a while once the 'new car' euphoria wears off; but I don’t think you can blame this venue for that. I have to attribute all of the mods I have done to my Yaris in the past six months to YarisWorld, I either read about them on here, or got them from someone on the forum. It may never reach the level that the Jeep Wrangler community has reached, but for such a uncommon and underappreciated car, it does just fine…

Cheers! M2
Old 04-13-2009, 09:04 AM   #6
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
I'm not here very much anymore because:

A) Can't stand the "Yaris and Toyota are on a pier and untouchable" attitude. It's called having an open mind. Example: Someone's sig is "nothing dumber than a hummer", and yet, they praise the Venza, which serves no real purpose in the already over-crowded SUV market.

and

B) Got annoyed of all the political/religious stuff. It's one thing to take pot-shots at one another (dem/rep), it's another thing to slug it out in an all-out flame-fest.

C) I also feel like I'm surrounded by immature kids. The mods, generally, are spot on with a mature (yet fun) attitude, but when I see someone type like it's AOL, talking about how they "raced" their new Yaris... And how they can "feel more power" by using higher octane fuel, even though it's well known the ECU map is for 85 octane, let alone the 87 most of us put in... You get my drift...
Old 04-13-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
I’m sure I’m one of the few who hate to read a post that is half filled up with the “bumps” but then you look at the time codes on the post the bump is with in 30 minutes of the last post.

Better yet the few that think that the Yaris can only be driven if it is scrapping the ground and only hops off the ground because of the stereo hit that hard letting the car move it a few feet till it hit’s the next time.

Do you real think you can feel the difference in power by cutting a few ounces off the spinning mass or there now getting 3 to 4 more mph because of it?

Better yet when the people get on and do this.
Hehehe I did something hehehe
She’s hot hehehee

I hate when I see people being pushed to do something by someone that dose not even know the theory behind telling someone to so it expect that every one else is doing it and they think it looks cool.

I can under stand people tuning there car but trying to turn there car into something it will never be is ridicules. I know some of you’ll do build your cars and use it legally. But the ones that use it illegally is the ones that get me.
Let’s try to blind the oncoming traffic by putting in the brightest head lights and then getting my fog lights to run with my high beams on. Hell yes lets tell him how to do it so your mom can be driving down the road and get blinded by him so she runs off the road and dies. If you can’t see then go get them adjusted to where they should be and if you still can not see then you should not be driving at night.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with the forum, some may lose interest in it after a while once the 'new car' euphoria wears off; but I don’t think you can blame this venue for that.
I agree with this. There's going to be a natural tendency for the amount of activity to taper off as the each model year continues forward. I doubt that there's a ton of excitement in the Toyota Corolla forum now that it is in its 10th generation.

A major facelift for the Yaris or a bigger engine will generate fresh interest but that will decline as the topics get discussed for the nth time.

I wonder if we would have this much activity if YarisWorld had not been hacked. The hack forced many to repost and re-discuss topics that had been beaten to death.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
I'm not here very much anymore because:

A) Can't stand the "Yaris and Toyota are on a pier and untouchable" attitude. It's called having an open mind. Example: Someone's sig is "nothing dumber than a hummer", and yet, they praise the Venza, which serves no real purpose in the already over-crowded SUV market.

and

B) Got annoyed of all the political/religious stuff. It's one thing to take pot-shots at one another (dem/rep), it's another thing to slug it out in an all-out flame-fest.

C) I also feel like I'm surrounded by immature kids. The mods, generally, are spot on with a mature (yet fun) attitude, but when I see someone type like it's AOL, talking about how they "raced" their new Yaris... And how they can "feel more power" by using higher octane fuel, even though it's well known the ECU map is for 85 octane, let alone the 87 most of us put in... You get my drift...
+1

There are a ton of repeat threads, oil viscosities, will these wheels/tires fit, what springs should I get, etc...

I know the members are good at telling who ever starts them to use the search function, but maybe they did and couldn't find what they are looking for or for some other reason. Is there anyway to have the topics we know will be repeated again and again organized in the newbie part of the forum in some way? Like a "new to the yaris common faq/common mods" or something? Just a thought.

Just to reiterate this, this is a public forum and everything you say can be seen by anyone googleing "yaris _____" so keep it clean and leave the politics/imho's/personal attacks out of this forum. There are plenty of places for it and this is not one of them.

My .02
Old 04-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #10
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Ugh, another "Whats wrong with YW thread?" I'll tell you what is wrong. We complain about it too often! Its a model-specific forum. There isn't that much to cover. It is eventually going to turn into a hang out and show your car off type of place. We can watch Garm run 10's and sit by happily knowing all of the money we spent on those parts we bought didn't go to waste.

And about subject matter... don't be the 40 year old guy that complains about the way teens interact on the web. We have some younger members that talk lyke dis every once in a while. People flame on forums. My other forum is full of twenty somethings and its ruthless and somewhat interesting for it.

I do agree with Morgan on a noob forum.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #11
ChinoCharles
Banned

One last thing... the sure-fire way to kill this forum would be to delete the Off-topic forum and not allow things like political banter and stuff like that. If all we did was talk about the Yaris all day, there wouldn't be much to talk about. Trust me. I've been here for over 2 years now and have 8,000 or so posts. We've covered damn near everything.

My oldest addage... if you don't like it, don't click on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #12
navtecftw

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris, polar white
I like this place. I go to a lot of forums during down time at work, and this is one of the more peaceful ones I go to. There are always going to be idiots that post nothing of value just for the hell of it, but it's just part of the forums. If you can't learn to ignore that, you shouldn't be on the internet.

I like the people here, even though I don't really say much. It's a really friendly community compared to most.

Also, if you got rid of off topic, I don't know what I would do. I don't come here for tech information very often- if forums were just for that, there would be a whole lot less. I like reading about other peoples personal lives- makes me feel better about my own.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #13
Darb
Bear Traffic Controller

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
One last thing... the sure-fire way to kill this forum would be to delete the Off-topic forum and not allow things like political banter and stuff like that. If all we did was talk about the Yaris all day, there wouldn't be much to talk about. Trust me. I've been here for over 2 years now and have 8,000 or so posts. We've covered damn near everything.

My oldest addage... if you don't like it, don't click on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+1, I usually find myself hanging around OT the most, with infrequent visits to the performance and slightly more to the style forums. While I cannot afford my own higher dollar mods at this point, it's nice to look at others' rides and see what can be done. The posts may seem redundant, but seeing what driverA has done with rimX over what driverB did with them is nice.

Kids Playing Chase On Freeways Get Smashed.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #14
ChinoCharles
Banned

Closed.
Closed Thread

Tags
forum, interesting, suggestions, yarisworld