Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-11-2017, 04:52 PM   #19
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Old thread, but today I went to the junk yard to find a seat like yours and all the Volks had different bases then the one you found. They had the same front, but the rear was a side-mounted slide instead of a floor bolted rail. Am I missing out on something here ??
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:17 PM   #20
David C

Found some 2006 Rabbit seats, picked them up today.

They do have the exact same bolt pattern, 14.5" front to back and 18.5" wide between rails.
Attached Images

Last edited by David C; 03-21-2017 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Resize/arrange pictures
Old 03-12-2017, 11:19 PM   #21
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Nice find. They look quite clean. Let us know what was required to get them installed and wired. And, some photos, of course.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:55 PM   #22
David C

So far I'm trying to gather info on the wires running under the Rabbit seats. I think I got a heated driver seat, but it's just making things more complex. I know my Yaris driver seat has 4 wires, 2 for the seat belt buckle and 2 for the seat position. The Rabbit driver seat has 2 wires for the seat belt buckle (so that's half the job done), but doesn't have a seat position sensor. So I'm trying to see what kind of seat occupancy sensor there is (if any) or if all the other wiring is only for the heating and airbag stuff. Worst case I can always find the value of the seat position sensor for the driving position my Yaris seat is, then fake that value using a resistor or even a grad so the airbag system can still properly and safely deploy by knowing how far I am from the steering wheel and if my belt is on.

For the passenger seat, it then become a little more tedious, as previously mentioned there's a 4 occupancy sensor setup, plus seat position, plus belt buckle in the Yaris. I truly don't wish to jeopardize the safety of my passenger, so I don't think I'll tackle the passenger seat swap right away (might never do actually).

Regarding mounting the Rabbit seat, it's really straight forward, just bolt it in. However, it might be tilted forward too much (and too low too) so I may have to fabricate spacers and weld them on the rails, along with a new positioning/safety pin. I know a very good custom fabricator who can help me out, and he's also a VW driver. It may take a few weeks, as I'll only have time to tackle car work on weekends and it's still freezing outside.

I measured the travel to be at 9-5/8" front to back for the Rabbit seat, I'll measure the Yaris one tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:22 PM   #23
David C

Same travel on both seats.

I bought a seat position sensor and a driver seat harness connector from a junkyard this Thursday and yesterday I spliced the Rabbit buckle wires into the purchased Yaris connector, as well as the seat position sensor. Then I swapped the seats in the car and had error lights for both the buckle and airbag in the cluster. I reversed the connections of the buckle and everything cleared. The car actually see the driver seat belt as always fastened even when it's not. The Rabbit buckle has a polarity and a internal resistance of 106ohms.

The successful wiring for the buckle was :

Rabbit purple with harness connector black/white
Rabbit brown with harness connector black

Won't work at all. I actually got errors when I buckle in. Instead simply wire a 400ohms resistor to the black and black/white wires of the connector, leaving the buckle wires alone. Then the car will think that your seat belt is always fasten.

The seat position sensor also has a polarity and would yield 1614mV on diode check and drop to 1610mV when moving a ferrous metal piece near the magnet sensor. From what I've made out of the ship repair manual, the sensor data isn't a variable resistance, but a canbus signal just like the passenger seat occupancy sensor, so you can't bypass it with just a resistor. Based on where the sensor is positioned on the driver seat, it is sensing the rail from seat being mid to completely back and not sensing from mid to completely forward. Right now I ziptied my spare sensor underneath the rabbit seat cushion, so it shouldn't sense anything, aka the car thinking my seat being anywhere from completely forward to middle. To get the opposite, simply secure a piece of ferrous metal within 0.8 to 2mm from the sensor magnet (tolerance for installation from the ship repair manual, SRS section).

Some grinding, hole enlarging and spacers will be required to get a proper fitment. Will do on Sunday.
Attached Images

Last edited by David C; 03-21-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #24
David C

The Rabbit seat is noticeably lower than the stock Yaris one. Jacking it up to the highest height adjustment brings it almost as high as stock, but is still lacking height from the rear. I'm 5'6" and like to sit high (the stock seat height was perfect for me), so if you're shorter and like to sit high, you'll have to fabricate spacers to mount the rails higher. I'm gonna do at least 3/4" to 1" in the back and 1/4" to 1/2" in the front, as the new seat is slanted backward compared to the rails. Despite the Yaris front mounts being 1-1/2" lower than the rear mounts, the Rabbit seat was only decently slanted when all the way up. Since my goal is to make the height adjustment useable, I'll mount the seat higher to have it at the right height while sitting in the middle of the height adjustment.

You'll have to cut/grind the positioning pins on the right rail too, although I won't have to cut the rear one as I'll use spacers that are higher than the pin itself.

The front mountains holes of the rails will have to be enlarged toward the front of at least 3/8", as the front mounts are angled forward. I'll make slanted spacers for the front to keep the bolt head from shearing due to uneven load under stress.

It's a little bit of fabrication work, but the seat is so much more comfortable, it's worth doing.

The seats I bought also have heating in both bottom and back cushions, that'll be the next wiring job once the seat is in.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2017, 03:53 PM   #25
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
awesome.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #26
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
awesome! The fact that its lowre than a yaris seat would make many people happy. The scion XD seat sits higher than a yaris.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:50 PM   #27
David C

The front of the seat (under your lower thighs) is about the same height, but the seat is so slanted backward that you sink down quite low to the point where the steering wheel is almost at neck height. Cranking it up will remove most of the slant due to the lever arm moving forward, but I still felt lower than stock even all the way up. I could easily see how a taller person (or same height but with a long torso) would enjoy a inch or two closer to the road, as myself I feel like the stock height is high enough for myself.

However I'd still add 1/2" to 3/4" spacer in the back to help level the bottom cushion to a more suitable angle, otherwise you may find yourself bending over all the time unless you recline the seat to a very lazy position.

To give a feel comparison, when I test drove a 2016 3dr hatch last month, I had to crank the seat about 3/4 up to get to a comfortable line of sight. Right now the Rabbit seat feels as if I had the 2016 HB seat 1/4" down past the lowest setting.

Seat feels very cozy and as the OP observed, it makes the car feel a lot nicer. I don't think you could go wrong with it thanks to the several adjustments, unless you prefer stiffer/harder seat cushion/padding. I consider the stock seat in my 2007 Yaris to be halfway between stiff and cozy, overall well balanced cushioning. The seats in the 2013 GMC Acadia of my dad (the most luxurious Acadia package below Denali package, sorry can't recall which one/don't want to me misleading) are stiffer and my ham feels flatter even faster than my Yaris on long drive. Despite them being big and think, they really don't feel like they contour my body and feel flat. So if you like a stiffer feel, you'll hate the Rabbit seats, you'll feel like if you're drowning haha.

I remember a thread here mentioning that adding a few washers underneath the front mounts of the Yaris seat made the seat feel lower (aka you slant it more backward). That's pretty much how you'd feel in the Rabbit seat as is, except with twice the slant. One thing you can do to the Yaris seat beside stacking washers in the front is to cut off the additional support plate under the rear of the rails, that will win you about 1/4"-3/8" more. The bracket welded in the front of the Yaris rails raise the rails 1-1/2" from the front floor mounts already. You could cut it off and weld it back with a steel spacer in between.

What's really busting my balls with mounting the Rabbit seat right now are the front floor mounts threaded inserts that are at a forward angle. If they were vertical, then I wouldn't have to do any drilling/grinding to the Rabbit rails, only add spacers to get the desired height. Plus those insert and angle forward so much that if I was to space the rear up to match the front angle, I'd have to add about 2-3" to the rear, then I'd have to deal with the rear rails not being parallel to the inserts anymore.

But as always, I'll figure out a proper and safe way to do it.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2017, 08:18 PM   #28
David C

Done !

Then later I did install the seat cover and today was nice enough outside for daylight pictures. Gonna install the seat cover for the passenger side as soon as I cut and sew an opening for the quick forward recline side latch in the cover.
Attached Images

Last edited by David C; 03-21-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:14 PM   #29
David C

Passenger seat for sale : http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58092
Old 03-21-2017, 07:20 PM   #30
David C

The new seat side bolsters really give more support when sitting sideway when I get in and out the car, as well as all around support and comfort. If you're a tall person, then you won't even have to space the rails higher than the floor mounts, unless you find yourself leaning backward too much.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:41 PM   #31
David C

It just hit me yesterday, after driving 320km (4h) round trip everyday of the week for work that since I've had my new seat, I don't suffer from back pain anymore even after spending my days bending down and on my knees then sitting in the car for hours. I've had back pain for years and the stock Yaris seat wasn't the source since I've only had the car for 15 months, but it definitively wasn't helping at all since I would wake up with back pain even during roadtrips where my back wouldn't get strained at all from work. Now it's actually doing me some good to be behind the wheel with the bass soothing my back :p
Old 04-23-2017, 09:44 PM   #32
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Done !

Then later I did install the seat cover and today was nice enough outside for daylight pictures. Gonna install the seat cover for the passenger side as soon as I cut and sew an opening for the quick forward recline side latch in the cover.
Perfect! Now, if you could just do a crash test, to see how well these new seats hold up, I think it we might just have a great alternative to the stock seats!
Old 04-23-2017, 10:29 PM   #33
David C

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
Perfect! Now, if you could just do a crash test, to see how well these new seats hold up, I think it we might just have a great alternative to the stock seats!

No need for crash test, they are already approved seat. Just make sure to use the appropriate hardware grade. The seat belt and airbag sensors are all functional too.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #34
Yaris874

Drives: 07 yaris hatchback
Yayy

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Yaris874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:54 PM   #35
Yaris874

Drives: 07 yaris hatchback
Hi can u guys tell me how to shut off the airbag light off I put the driver seat today 08 vw gti bi the way so much better so can anyone help me

Yaris874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:00 PM   #36
David C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris874 View Post
Hi can u guys tell me how to shut off the airbag light off I put the driver seat today 08 vw gti bi the way so much better so can anyone help me

You need to connect the seat position sensor of your stock seat to the car harness. If you flip over the Yaris driver seat, you'll see a pair of wire going to a 2" long module that is fastened to the sliding rail. Unbolt it (T30 torqx socket) and then tie-wrap it under your gti seat and plug it back into the car harness.