Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-13-2012, 04:51 AM   #1
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
STF posts

I have to say the new STF class the yaris is in, is insane.. Here is a post from my first event of the year in my region. It was a really big turnout. a few people were there that are not normally there from up north which bumped my Pax placement down a few.

ANYway, I placed 29th place out of 72 in RAW time.
placed 6th place in Pax time.. crazy

http://buccaneerregion.com/ce-1-12.html

I just got back from Jacksonville Florida where they just had their 2nd event of the year.

http://buccaneerregion.org/jax-2-12.html

1st place in my class out of 3 others, 2 drivers in a Fit and me
10th place Raw time out of I think 50 drivers
1st place in pax out of + or - 50 drivers

what a weekend..

Last edited by ilikerice; 02-14-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: added link
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I love the PAX times results: Mustangs at the bottom, small imports at the top!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
Can't understand why they keep adding more Classes, doen't it kinda dilute the car counts and spread them really thin?

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
ilikerice

I agree, its insane how many classes there are. I will say, We dont have a "Street Tire" class in savannah, but Jacksonville added their own tire class with stock class. I guess so it gives the newbies off the street a fighting chance against the guys in stock class with Rcomp tires.

but, I do it for fun and becoming a better driver. When you start trying to argue about classes though, it brings the fun out of the sport. I will leave that to the "national's" peoples
Old 02-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
racerb

Guess I'm just used to the good old days, when we had Stock, Street Prepared, Prepared, and Modified, thats all. Most everyone ran Novice on street tires, then R compounds when they moved to Stock or Street Prepared. I was forced by lack of funds to run street tires at the '84 Solo Nationals and still wasn't last in class, but pretty close!!

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
Old 02-14-2012, 01:07 AM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I would sell Girl Scout cookies, in a skirt, to fund R comps.... there's no turning back....
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:35 AM   #7
ilikerice

I swear these Hankook RS-3's are so close to R comps its retarded. EVERYBODY is running these tires in ST class right now. IF I had a turbo or swap motor, I would run R comps also.. nothing beats them
Old 02-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
racerb

Todays R-compounds are like the slicks of the 80s and early 90s, with the street tires better than the Rs we used to run! The Toyo RA-1 we still run today is about the only tire that hasn't changed in years!

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
Old 02-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
ilikerice

http://buccaneerregion.org/jax-2-12.html

Sunday Autox event at Jacksonville. 1st in pax.. They will probably redo the pax for next year in the STF class. Its kinda unfair. lol. either that or I am just that good.. hahaha
Old 02-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I would sell Girl Scout cookies, in a skirt, to fund R comps.... there's no turning back....
a new business opportunity?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #11
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
So wish I could be running events right now... we're still around the freezing mark and have snow on the ground up here :(

Congrats on doing well!
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
ilikerice

^I am surprised you dont have rally events during times like these. I would be all over that also.

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
I swear these Hankook RS-3's are so close to R comps its retarded. EVERYBODY is running these tires in ST class right now. IF I had a turbo or swap motor, I would run R comps also.. nothing beats them
Everybody except the winners... Who are running the Toyo - they swept ever class at the 2011 Solo Nationals except STU, which was won on Yokohamas. There are some great tires out there, but none of them match the top tier Rs. And if you want a real treat try a full race slick, they make Rs feel like street tires.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
ilikerice

I am not saying R comps are not amazing.. I used to run them on my CRX in SSM class.. But I am trying to stick with STF class with my yaris.

Which Toyo tire are you talking about? Both Proxes 4 and T1 are only available in 18" and 19" from tirerack right now. I dont see any other tires that are worth anything..

*EDIT* I found proxes 4 at another dealer also in 225/50/15.. Are those the one's you are talking about?

If I put on R comps, That will throw me in the Street Prepared class and I cannot throw more money in that class to be competitive. I'd like to stick with the STF class at least for the rest of this year.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
I am not saying R comps are not amazing.. I used to run them on my CRX in SSM class.. But I am trying to stick with STF class with my yaris.

Which Toyo tire are you talking about? Both Proxes 4 and T1 are only available in 18" and 19" from tirerack right now. I dont see any other tires that are worth anything..

*EDIT* I found proxes 4 at another dealer also in 225/50/15.. Are those the one's you are talking about?

If I put on R comps, That will throw me in the Street Prepared class and I cannot throw more money in that class to be competitive. I'd like to stick with the STF class at least for the rest of this year.
The R1R is the street tire that is winning it all. http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/pr...e-summer-tires

The 195-50-15 is the magic size that is crushing everything else.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #16
ilikerice

wow.. Awesome.. thanks for that info.. I will look further into these. May try these out in a few months
Old 02-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I ran R1R's on my car, they were great, sticky enough and PREDICTABLE.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #18
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
I ran R1R's a couple years ago for time attacks. Very good. Didn't need warming up, and kicked butt in the rain ( with full tread). I get Grassroots Motorsports magazine, and according to tests the Rs3 outperform, but I haven't been on them yet. Seems like all the small cars out here run either R1R's or Rs3's, and the larger cars like STIs and Bimmers swear by Star specs.

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote