Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #1
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Putting this out to the forum

My niece was rear ended recently and car totaled. She and her passenger were belted and sustained no injuries except stiffness and soreness.

Have come upon a 2012 Yaris LE, which is showroom clean inside out and underneath, I mean really unbelievably clean, engine compartment immaculate a couple of door dings a wrinkle in the left front 1/4 panel that looks to have been popped or banged back out. The car is very nice.

Taking it to mechanic in the AM to have him give it the once over.

Question - Anything I should be on the lookout for for this Gen Yaris?
Are the control arm bolts still an issue on the 2012's etc.?

I have to tell you and it is really no surprise to anyone but my nieces car that was wrecked was a 1999 Chevy Prizm (For those of us who remember, these were Toyota Corrollas sold as Chevy's) It was neat, clean well cared for, 80K miles, and mechanically sound, I told her to get it. It served her well, daily commutes of 60 miles a lot of running around, winters in NE etc. Great little car.

Well now it's gone and we are waiting for the insurance to tell us what a 17 yr. old car with 130K miles on it was worth, which will be a FRACTION of what it was worth to my niece. Her everyday driver, put the key in and it went, wherever she wanted to go, ALWAYS.

Goodbye Chevy Prizm, thanks.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:17 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Happy to hear they walked away with no major injuries.

Salud to the lil Prizm.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Just goes to show you that an older car in good running condition is worth a lot more than BB.

Even if you have to shell out $$$ once in a while it's worth it. A cheap new car is well over$15000.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:29 PM   #4
NEexpat

Follow up.

Mechanic looked it over, took it out for a drive. Trans fluid is a little dark, not black not burnt just darker red. Could be an issue. Shifts fine. Forwards back NP.

Talked to the local Toyota dealer service manager. He said its not unusual for it to get darker without any serious damage being done or as an indicator of impending doom. As long as it wasn't black and smelled burnt, just darker red. on the stick it looks dark but on a white paper towel dark but still red.

Checked my 09's with 15k more miles on it, red/pink and clear as a bell. So.....................who knows.

If she decides to get it we'll do a change not a flush, run it for a couple of weeks check it and change it again and keep our fingers crossed.

Previous owner was an octogenarian and I'm wondering if maybe he bumped it into 3rd on occasion, I know I did a few times when I first got mine, and perhaps he ran it a little hotter than normal.

Again who knows. Got another line on an 06 civic with 50K miles, will know more tomorrow. Told my niece to sleep on it. We can always shake hands and walk away.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:23 AM   #5
NEexpat

Well we/she did shake hands on it............ and bought it, just under 70k miles, and just under $7k.

As stated, I have never seen a used car as clean as this. The car dealer was actually great, had all kinds of positive reviews on social media, in a day and age where one a-hole with an axe to grind can sink you on the inter-webz.

Will run for the length of his warranty then we'll change the transmission fluid. My niece couldn't be happier.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Good luck I think you'll be fine!
Old 11-02-2016, 10:45 AM   #7
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Nice, congrats to your niece!
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:55 PM   #8
NEexpat

^Thanks guys.

She received one factory issued key less entry fob and a black chip key, which I have always understood to be the master.

Currently looking into getting her another key less entry fob and researching all that entails, and doing it as economically as possible.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:57 PM   #9
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
great price! hope she enjoys the car
Old 11-07-2016, 09:16 AM   #10
NEexpat

Question, actually more like I need some confirmation and a couple of questions.

My niece wanted to show me how she paired the phone to the BT the other night, because, as we all know, that is the most important thing in a new car.

I noticed the temp control dial was not illuminated, the other two were back lit, and just to confirm I turned over my car and all three of mine were lit with the lights on.

So if that bulb is "out" how difficult is that to replace, I am guessing here, but pull pop of a couple of panel/bezels almost as is I were reconnecting a cable, what is a source for those bulbs is it just a pop in pop out deal.

Thanks

Gotta tell you, I love my 09, but this 2012 is really growing on me, so far my only complaints are lack of several glove compartments, lol, and I don't care for how the rear headrests restrict the view out the rear view mirror.

Last edited by NEexpat; 11-07-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:30 AM   #11
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Same issue as this guy. Thread going nowhere.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57414
Old 11-07-2016, 01:11 PM   #12
NEexpat

^ yeah WEE, I guess I'll dive in there pull it apart and figure it out.

EDIT

OK got it, I was just lazy, couple of mouse clicks and some typing..........................

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44520

mea culpa

Last edited by NEexpat; 11-07-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #13
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u

Fresh link established to the holy grail of climate control bulb replacement threads.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:53 PM   #14
NEexpat

Near as I can tell the part number for the 2012 is 90010-01145, ordered one for $5.00 at local dealership, pick it up in the morning.

So there,lol