Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-08-2010, 12:48 AM   #37
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Last , there's nothing like a good YANKEE pot roast to put some HAIR on your BALLS .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #38
vwtech
Banned

Drives: 09 jetta tdi dsg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
VOLKSWAGONS sucks schnitzel . We'd still take a oil leaking YARIS over a VOLKSWAGON .
A volkswagon is 10 times the car a yaris is. when you close the door on a vw it doesnt sound like someone just crushed a beer can on the ground. the yaris is built with such cheap materials inside. Where the hell did they come up with the center console idea i'm pretty sure a stack of lego's is higher quality. I can flex every piece of sheet metal on a yaris with my pinky its all so thin and cheap and the seats where the hell did they come from the model t who's back is rounded like that seat. There is no doubt in my mind a yaris is more reliable because there is nothing to break on a yaris its just a car with no creature comforts at all its so plain and boring, mine doesnt even have abs lol. I cant believe you are talking about reliability anyways both of your cars have low miles and have leaking head gaskets. Its like you dont want to believe a toyota breaks or something. The yaris is a shitty underpowered econobox I would much rather have my 95 civic with 200k on it, It handled better looked better and had more power.
vwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #39
vwtech
Banned

not to mention how unsafe a yaris is I bet you this thing crumples like a tin can in a wreck. All the reliability doesnt matter if your leg is sticking out of your back.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #40
vwtech
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Got the car back , but we'll have to pass on the outcome . Would only get ridiculed more . Someone always has to screw it up for others .
Oh yah like I just cant wait to hear how that went your probably going to talk about how you started your period and cried under the service manager desk.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:07 AM   #41
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
OP:

To your original question, that would make sense. A DOHC motor tear-down is a BIG job, especially with an interference-design engine like ours. Timing off = engine go boom.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:01 AM   #42
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Guys, keep it civil in here, please

I don't want to have to come back and keep deleting posts now, everybody chill and try to be nice to each other
Old 09-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #43
Hershey

please do delete some of the messages ( including my outbursts ) . Sorry , but hard to sit back and get ridiculed . Blew a gasket . Only trying to help those who may encounter this issue .

Last edited by Hershey; 09-09-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #44
Hershey

No issues as of yet . Keeping a watch on a few areas that were wet with oil when we got it back . Cleaned them and will play the waiting game . Since the fix the mileage has seemed to go up . Last few fills were 44.2 and 43.5 . Is that possible ? Wonder if the leak had an impact on that #1 cylinder ? Will keep you updated .

Last edited by Hershey; 09-12-2010 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:34 AM   #45
NoHenJen
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Well I've been following this forum for a while...and I finally had to sign up so I could comment about how excited I am to have just read this entire thread only for Hershey here to decide not to say what the outcome was. I'm assuming it was the oil leaking in to the #1 cylinder but there really wasn't an explanation. Guess I'll go read some more informative and less bitchy(stupid vw guy) threads. At least this one was amusing. :)
NoHenJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:02 PM   #46
sebastianroher

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwtech View Post
A volkswagon is 10 times the car a yaris is. when you close the door on a vw it doesnt sound like someone just crushed a beer can on the ground. the yaris is built with such cheap materials inside. Where the hell did they come up with the center console idea i'm pretty sure a stack of lego's is higher quality. I can flex every piece of sheet metal on a yaris with my pinky its all so thin and cheap and the seats where the hell did they come from the model t who's back is rounded like that seat. There is no doubt in my mind a yaris is more reliable because there is nothing to break on a yaris its just a car with no creature comforts at all its so plain and boring, mine doesnt even have abs lol. I cant believe you are talking about reliability anyways both of your cars have low miles and have leaking head gaskets. Its like you dont want to believe a toyota breaks or something. The yaris is a shitty underpowered econobox I would much rather have my 95 civic with 200k on it, It handled better looked better and had more power.

I agree 100% German engineering>cheap Japanese junk slapped together because of a gas crisis.

We had the head gasket go out on our 09 as soon as we bought it and just ended up sticking a new engine in instead of opting for a rebuild. Now, the new engine just started leaking oil a few months back in the same spot as the one mentioned here.
sebastianroher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:52 PM   #47
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
I went from a VW Golf to a Toyota Yaris. Best automotive related decision​ of my life.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:03 PM   #48
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Since we're bringing back dead threads I'll chime in. I've had a handful of friend's with VW's and although they come from the factory with a better build in terms of handling and interior comfort they tend to be plagued with a bunch of issues to do with electrical. Lights constantly burning out, cel's that can not be explained etc. Comparing interior design quality of a vw to a yaris is apples to oranges as a be costs much more than a yaris.

If comparing manufacturers in totality then that makes more sense, however in think we all know the obvious winner for reliability.

That said, quality and comfort is also a clear winner and it's not in Toyota's favor. If you want a car with interior warm and fuzzies and good factory handling instead of modifying it yourself than ya vw makes more sense. Just be prepared to spend much more.

Most of us with a yaris don't really care about the warm and fizzles inside the car, it's a yaris after all.

And does the term "German engineering" really still give people a chub? Its more a marketing term than anuthing especially in this rain and age as many parts are outsourced and information crosses continents very quickly with hiring the right people. Then again, companies spend millions a year on marketing because most people taken it hook, line and sinker.

According to the latest Lexus commercial, if I drive their suv in my fourties I'll pick up a ton of sexy middle aged women ;)
Old 05-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #49
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
headgasket Corolla Yaris doors clips connectors plastic

Do a circa 1990 Corolla (4A-F or 4A-FE) headgasket once and you'll love doing a Yaris 1 NZ-FE...I think.
(I don't notice anything cheap-like about 2007 Yaris 2dr hatch except the awful sound the huge doors make upon closure. And all the little plastic doors and covers would be fine if their clips' and ears manipulation needs were not a guessing game....ditto w/ electrical connectors.)

Last edited by dogsridewith; 05-21-2017 at 07:36 AM.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:40 PM   #50
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
I see plenty of German cars to know what i prefer.

Toyota are ahead of VW in terms of electronics and build quality. I also don't think you can beat Toyota suspension components either. Until the most recent engine line up Toyota Engines were fairly basic and hard wearing compared to quite a few of the popular VW engines.

German cars are very over engineered and their electronics are complicated and there are quite a few parts and systems on them that are lacking and unnecessary. I drive VW's at work. I'd say the Aygo and Yaris are definitely better than the UP! and the Polo. The Golf is a nicer interior and has more features and is faster than the Yaris and Auris/Corolla but both cars are more durable than the Golf. I['d much sooner have an Avensis or a RAV4 than a Passat or a Tiguan.