Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-26-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
mastaofdisasta

Drives: yaris
question on autox

So i got my first autox in my yars comin up , ive dne it before in my accord. Ive got a tanabe medallion exhaust and an AEM intake. I figure most of my power is gonna be 5k rpm and up. Im just concerned if i get to go past 35mph im gonna have to shift, im afraid whenn i get 2nd im not gonna get enough into thge powerband since im not goin too far into 2nd gear... I guess what im asking is what happens when u autoexers shift into 2nd gear, this is my first autox in a manual, and tips and hints would be appreceated, also arew these the right mods for this type of racing, i also got a strut bar and want some other braces but money doesnt permit at the moment. Thanks yall
Old 03-26-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastaofdisasta View Post
So i got my first autox in my yars comin up , ive dne it before in my accord. Ive got a tanabe medallion exhaust and an AEM intake. I figure most of my power is gonna be 5k rpm and up. Im just concerned if i get to go past 35mph im gonna have to shift, im afraid whenn i get 2nd im not gonna get enough into thge powerband since im not goin too far into 2nd gear... I guess what im asking is what happens when u autoexers shift into 2nd gear, this is my first autox in a manual, and tips and hints would be appreceated, also arew these the right mods for this type of racing, i also got a strut bar and want some other braces but money doesnt permit at the moment. Thanks yall
This car makes no power at all (atleast compared to what i'm used to). I've found the stock brakes to be quite adequate, and power MUST be maintained throughout the course in order to keep speed and revs high.
Depending on the course, you may want to utilize left foot braking or applying the clutch coming out of a sharp turn to keep your revs and speed up. The intake will put you out of H-stock, but otherwise you would be fine with the axleback. I've slammed the gears back into first, but the car felt like it didn't like that too much. Good luck.

Everyone at auto-x here wanted to see how the yaris would do, as i brought the first one out. It was funny when i smoked the brakes and made the engine scream. I almost wanted to run this car all season, just for the heck of it!
anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:39 AM   #3
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
As a beginning autocrosser, the last thing you need to be worrying about is staying in the power. As mentioned above, the Yaris doesn't really make much power, anyway! The Yaris is what is called a "momentum car". You want to try to maintain as much speed as you can throughout the course because the car isn't good at acceleration. "It's not how fast you go, it's how little you slow down."

But, you should be more concerned with first knowing where the course goes. Learn the course. Once you know where the course goes, work on driving the PROPER LINE (ask for help from the experienced guys) around the course. Doesn't matter what else you do, if you get lost on course or don't drive a proper racing line, you won't be fast.

As for shifting, plan on shifting to 2nd. Autocrosses are typically 2nd gear. You'll want to shift into 2nd at the first opportunity and just run the rest of the course in 2nd. Resist the urge to downshift to first (the time it takes you to downshift and upshift almost always makes it more beneficial to just stay in 2nd), instead focusing on how you can drive a better line to carry more speed through the turn so that you can keep from lugging 2nd. Don't even think about shifting to 3rd unless you hit the rev limiter while you're out there. So, basically, shift into 2nd and stay there... focus on where you're going.

I do a lot of novice instruction at autocrosses. Most repeated phrases:
Look ahead, think ahead.
Brake first, then turn.
Brake straight.
The throttle is not an on/off switch, add throttle as you unwind the wheel when exiting a turn.

Get there early and walk the course several times, preferably with someone who can talk you through it.

Mods? Two mods matter most: Driver and Tires. Everything else is secondary. You will appreciate the addition of a rear swaybar, however.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:57 AM   #4
mastaofdisasta

Drives: yaris
Thansk guys, like i said, ive autocrossed a couple times in my accord, but by nooooooooooooooo means do i consider myself good and im still in much need of learning, so your comments come with much humble appreciation : )
Old 03-27-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
Lazerdot

Drives: Blazing Blue 08 liftback
Auto Cross

I'll be participating in the Equipe Rapide event on the 29th in Bedford Texas. I have done only one event in the Yaris so far. Many previous in my R32, a different car for sure. I put the Yaris into 2nd gear and stayed there for the duration of each of the runs(my owner manual says 59mph max in 2nd). Thats faster then most of the courses they set up here would allow anyway. I don't have a Tac yet so I have to be carefull. The car has TRD upgrades and handles well, but even with an intake and exhaust it is, as was said, a momentum car for sure. Hopefully I'll become a better driver as a result. Bang for the buck is high with this little car especially with some upgrades. Good luck and have fun!
Lazerdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
What Loren said, period.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
You don't need to worry if you don't have a tach. You're not going to hurt anything if you hit the rev limiter. It's there to protect the engine and it does a fine job of it.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:04 PM   #8
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
Honestly as a noOb, you will be too occupied with driving the course and modulating all your driving inputs. So do not worry too much about your tach, just go out and try to learn the proper line on the course. Watch some of the fast drivers in other heats, it will help you learn where you need to place your car on the course. Try to the best of your abilities and keep an open mind learning from those who have done it for a while. Ask plenty of questions and keep yourself properly hydrated. Above all have a great time!
anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote