Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Southeast
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-16-2009, 06:23 AM   #1
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Yaris in the states

Left Montreal last thursday for some fun in the sun(Fla.)on the trip down and my stay so far i've yet to see another YarisIn Montreal about every 5th car is an Echo or a Yaris,seems down here in Fla i have a rare cult car.Is Toyota just not pushing the Yaris?
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Toyota isn't really providing advertising support for the Yaris. They don't really have to, they sell real well. Now on to possible reasons you may not see them... The yaris is considered an Ecnonobox. Though Canada may have more European taste when it comes to cars (small bang for the buck), people here still value midsized and up cars. If you're driving an econobox, you're "poor." Now that gas prices are climbing, this view is steadily changing but people still want the status symbol cars have always been for the US population.

When I say "poor"-- I use it broadly to encompass everyone from the lower 35k earners to students.

That's my take, it's pride over practicality.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Yep, I agree. I love my Yaris and despite the fact that I could easily afford a car that costs several times more; I wouldn't waste my money as it easily provides what I want and need from it. And I kinda like having a car that isn't common, I considered a Mazda 3 but they are almost as common down here as Ford F150 pickup trucks. Plus, I love European hatchback econoboxes so the Yaris fit that bill perfectly.

I get a lot of compliments on my car, I think that is because it is kinda unusual. I like that...

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
puetato89
Just call me Ray, better?

Drives: 08 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to puetato89
wait, wait, wait, wait, you were here and didnt bother 2 tell any one........ first mistake.. i love showing love 2 people that come and visit... just ask treyz...

puetato89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:47 PM   #5
JetfireK

Drives: 2008 3 Dr Liftback
The yaris is considered an Ecnonobox. If you're driving an econobox, you're "poor." Now that gas prices are climbing, this view is steadily changing but people still want the status symbol cars have always been for the US population.When I say "poor"-- I use it broadly to encompass everyone from the lower 35k earners to students.
That's my take, it's pride over practicality.[/QUOTE]

Hello, I sold my brand new fully loaded LEXUS and bought my 3 dr Liftback. I don't miss the Lexus...had the SC 430 and the ES330 and I love my Yaris...better than any car I have ever owned...Its nifty fun! But not caring about status comes with old age...fun to still be here and have a Yaris
JetfireK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
RedStickHam

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetfireK View Post
The yaris is considered an Ecnonobox. If you're driving an econobox, you're "poor." Now that gas prices are climbing, this view is steadily changing but people still want the status symbol cars have always been for the US population.When I say "poor"-- I use it broadly to encompass everyone from the lower 35k earners to students.
That's my take, it's pride over practicality.
Hello, I sold my brand new fully loaded LEXUS and bought my 3 dr Liftback. I don't miss the Lexus...had the SC 430 and the ES330 and I love my Yaris...better than any car I have ever owned...Its nifty fun! But not caring about status comes with old age...fun to still be here and have a Yaris[/QUOTE]

Cool fellow Louisianian! I don't care much about status either, I've seen people run themselves to near ruin trying to live in huge houses they can't afford, buying ultra luxury cars, all to just show off. I prefer having money saved and if someone wants to look down on me because I drive the wrong car, that's on them and not me.

My last car, a Hyundai Accent sedan, was totalled when it was hit from behind and I used the insurance money as a down payment on a Yaris. The Yaris gets much better mileage in almost all city driving(32mpg vs 25mpg), so I'm ready for the next gas price hike. In addition, the Hyundai felt like a tin can compared to the Yaris

I plan to drive my Yaris for a long long time.

RedStickHam
RedStickHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i think its more that quebec has european ideals and thus more econo cars kicking around....

besides, arent the residents of florida more interested in grand marquis' and buick roadmasters?
Old 08-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
RedStickHam

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
I've never felt "poor" in my Yaris, and I have yet to encounter someone who calls it an econo-box...

My Yaris is well taken care of, and I've found that this pride of ownership garners a large amount of respect, and changes other peoples' preconceptions about the car...

It's a sub-compact, pure and simple; the only difference I feel sitting in a Corolla or Matrix, or a Camry for that matter is in the size...

It's long overdue auto makers started offering us some properly priced premium small cars (a la europe), and not just overpriced Mini Coopers...

The Yaris and other sub-compacts have the potential to shed the econo-penalty-box identity, but North American marketing execs need to change the way they market and package these cars...I think the Fiesta, for example, is trying to go in this direction...

Cheers
Amen to that! We need more properly priced good small cars out there. Funny thing, I know a couple who have a Lexus and they thought my little Yaris was nice looking. They think the headlights look like Anime eyes. My wife thinks it looks like it's smiling at her.

I've had a couple of people in parking lots and at gas pumps ask me what it was and what I thought of it. I thought that was kind of cool.

I think the Yaris is a good value for the money. It's a roomy, nice looking little car that gets great mileage and is fun to drive.

RedStickHam
RedStickHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:24 PM   #9
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
When I drove cross country a couple months ago I saw very few Yarii. Lots and lots of Fits though.

But yeah, Americans love the fancy cars too much. Though I admit I was actually considering an Audi TT when thinking of buying new until I decided I needed better fuel economy more than a sports car. I did a search for FE cars on the net and found YarisWorld... fell in love with the car and that's all she wrote. Saved myself a bundle and couldn't be happier. I made the right decision.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #10
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
@ OP: Toyota has been advertising and having sales, rebates, 0% financing 3 or 4 months ago, so now we see a lot of moreYarii around than we did before (I'm on the West Coast, San Francisco Bay Area, California)

I would agree that the majority of people aroudn here view the Yaris as an econo-box or entry-level car, mostly for students and people who can't afford anything better. I get compliments on it all the time, but I get an almost equal amount of snide comments, like "why did you spend money on an alarm system, who's gonna steal a Yaris?" Or "I bet you won't be getting speeding tickets in that thing."

I also agree that when you show pride of ownership, other people respect that and start to wonder if maybe they're missing out on a something.