Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Ways to protect the car

Well last night was another night some duchebags tried doing something on the property. I will explain more towards the end on this one.

Last year the block had a few robberies of this one house, and a car got its rims jacked just 100 feet from mine. My dads old car window was bashed in. His car was hit twice.

Now I have my car repainted, with new rear and front windshield, and my dad got himself a brand new car. Neither of us want to leave it in the street, but we only have 1 garage. There is room on the right side of it though to put another car or two!

So I got to work, and demolished a cement divider between the garage way and the grass that is about 8 inches higher. I then went about 3 feet into the lawn removing dirt and the grass, now comes laying down cement to make it an even slope up.

The problem is, there is no field of view of this side of the garage, and my parents do not wake up to anything other then the door opening.

So last night, some black car, steel stock rims, really dark tints, stopped next to both my dads/uncles car around 12:45am(I know this because I heard a really loud thud sound that was either a door being slammed shut, or someone attempting to break glass), a hispanic kid late teens or early 20's was next to the car stairing into all the windows and looking around, I got away from the window, put on pants, got the cell phone, ran outside, and by then they already left up the block and proceeded to make a turn and left slowly, no speeding involved.

So either they didn't see me, or just really didn't give a shit what they were doing/they were caught.

Anyway, so now I really need to find of a way to overlook this point next to the garage/maybe even the front of the driveway. Its very difficult, but now Im not too worried about spending the $1400 or so on a nice night megapixel camera and lens.

But it doesnt end there, I need advise from everyone. What else can I do to alart us in the house that maybe someone is now on top of the lawn? Or getting close to the garage or the car? I need a way for not necessarily a lihg to come on, but I actually want to be woken up.

Anyone know of the tools or sensors needed to put outside and how to apply that to lets say an alarm or a light next to the garage or in the house? The camera will be used for face recognition/for police, and the waking up part is the catch the little runts/making get a licence plate number at least.

I know some cameras suposedly can take input/output of sensors or alarms, but I have never known what is needed or what companies can do this. SO far my choices for cameras I guess are from either Arecont / IQeye.

Thank you everyone.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Well bro I have a 4 cam security Cam set and I LOVE IT Muahaha u can let it record and when u come back just check what happen I did it cus my sedan got broken into and my subs got stolen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_0982.jpg (121.9 KB, 117 views)
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
^that is really nice! i've also seen those digital game-scouting cameras that take pictures when set by motion. they can be had in infared format(so there's no 'flash' to alert criminals), mounted basically anywhere(has to be within 30ft. or so from what you are monitoring), and not too expensive(around $100-150). i work part-time in a sporting goods store and we sell more of those for property surveillance than for actual game-scouting. check out the brands stealthcam, moultree, and wildview.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
install a security sistem to ur car thats what i did got the Cameras and installed a remote starter with alarm
Old 12-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Too bad guns are illegal in NY. A simple NRA bumper sticker on the front door or a window helps too.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Even with 4 cameras, unless you are REALLY good or lucky, there's a good chance you won't get a shot of the face or license plate. Then if they wear a mask and bag their plates, you are still out of luck. Plus do you really wanna be the guy on the street who's always peeking out the windows and has a house surrounded by trip wire and security cameras?

As for trying to have an alarm on the inside to alert you so you can call the police or confront them, they'll be gone by the time the police get there, and confronting felons(especially a car full) is a sure fire way to catch a bullet.

Build a gate, that's an actual obstacle thieves have to go through, and chances are they will find easier prey in driveways or on the street. If not, that's what you have insurance for.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

oh 2 same comments now thats skills
Old 12-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #8
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Nice everyone thank you and please keep links and ideas coming!

Bunch of homes now have cameras in my neighborhood and my house is on a wierd block and I live on a corner facing a park, so looking outside or having cameras is not a problem because none of them will ever even look at any neighboors.

I just don't think building a high gate will work. I'm almost thinking of building it on the side where I demolished the cement edge. And on the other side digging out two or three feet of grass and making it a one foot deep pool. Maybe that will help. Either stab yourself getting over once fence on one side or jump straight into water on the other. But I still would like to get pictures or video that's the important part.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
My DVR for my surveillance system has motion detection on each camera with outputs for alerts. It can either make a sound itself, or the outputs (which are relay contacts) can be used to ring a chime, flash a strobe or some other external device.

The other thing that some people believe helps as a deterrent is motion sensing flood lights covering the area.

And, if none of that works, there's always the big mean dog option.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

ooh, an alligator filled moat!!! That would be so awesome!
Old 12-06-2009, 10:18 PM   #11
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
Try putting up some sings that say “please carry your identification so we know where to send your remains”.

Would putting up some motion lights help shine some lights on the issue? Where I have lived thieves don’t like light. It would not be hard to wire a light into your room off the light.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:33 PM   #12
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
i forgot the name but there is a motion sensor on the as seen on tv website called driveway motion or something...could be cheap and effective for alerting while home
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:37 PM   #13
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Or the red tracking lasers from sniper's rifles may be a deterrent as well. Or just motion triggered machne guns...
Old 12-07-2009, 12:15 AM   #14
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Nah, you just want to keep them away from the iron is all. We had a couple of snots who liked to trespass, but I found the cure: electric fencer. You can buy these from farm supplies, etc., for about $75. String a bare copper wire around the vehicle, switch on the fencer at night, off in the morning.

The fencer runs intermittent charges of static electricity of around 20,000 volts. If the sneaky petes walk into it, then the only alarm you need to wake you up will be the sound of the guy screaming, and it works very well, every time.

Just remember to turn it off in the morning...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:18 AM   #15
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The other thing that some people believe helps as a deterrent is motion sensing flood lights covering the area.

And, if none of that works, there's always the big mean dog option.
Actually, the motion-detection flood lights are your best bet. No crook is going to stick around when awashed in bright light!

But the BAD (big ass dog) tactic works as well!
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #16
Slick

Drives: '09 3-Dr
Send a message via MSN to Slick
We use two motion detectors and a metal sensor at my house. All three came with a base that makes a loud ring noise when they detect something. Our driveway is a quarter mile curvey road, so we like to know when someone is comin. It's not so much to watch out for criminals as it is for knowing who's comin. I highly recommened these Types of products. I'll find a link when I get home later or if someone else knows what I'm talking about they can get one.