Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-13-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Pulling/replacing a transmission...

How hard is this to do?

There's a 91 Toyota pickup for sale near me. The ad says, "runs very good. 4.cyl auto. good bed and very good frame. needs tranny. or convert to 5 speed tranny."

I'm just tempted because it has a solid front axle swap and he's only asking $600 bucks for it.

I have basic hand tools, and could borrow or rent a floor jack and other tools I would need. I don't have a lift or anything like that, but from what I've read you can just jack the truck up and slide the tranny out from underneath. I think with the lift on this truck, you wouldn't even need to do that.

This would be the first big mechanical thing I've ever done, but I'm willing to do it, so I guess that says something. However, I bet this is a lot more complex than changing my oil or a flat tire...

Is this more than taking out the driveshafts, taking off the bolts on the bellhousing, and sliding it back and out? ...then reverse the steps to put a new or rebuilt one in?
Old 12-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Its been 15 years since i had a hilux ,like that lol
but if you are replacing like for like, from memory it was real easy ,
i don't think you have to drop the transfer case .
but even if you do its not that hard .
i say go for it if you can afford it
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Yea, I would go for the same tranny - or just have the one in it rebuilt, depending on what's wrong I guess.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
buyer beware
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
If you dont have some good mechanic experience i would not suggest attempting to R&R a transmission especially if you dont have the proper tools and a lift.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote