Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-28-2006, 02:53 PM   #19
Funnypants

Drives: crappy rental cars
I took the Yaris out for a test drive and really liked it (very roomy, handled well), but I've decided to wait until April to see the Fit pricing. If the information in this review is accurate, I think the Honda Fit might be a better option for people looking for a fuel-efficient four dour hatchback.

My arguement is as follows:

If I want four doors, ABS and split seats in the Yaris, I've got to go for the RS and option up to a final MSRP of about $18,615.00 CDN. That's more than the very top end of the four door Honda Fit (expected price $14,000 - $18,500 CDN), which comes with ABS and split seats standard.

The article also says that the Fit will get better mileage than the Yaris: 6.5 / 5.2 compared to 6.9 / 5.5

I like the look and style of the Yaris a lot more than the Honda, but if I can get a base model Fit with all the features I want for several grand less, and get better fuel economy to boot, well, it seems to me there's really no choice. Anyone else have a different take on the situation?
Funnypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:27 PM   #20
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Better fuel economy than the Yaris and 5-speed auto? I almost want to deflect to Honda immediately! I will try to calm myself down and wait a while to see if the Fit will be due for a redesign soon as predicted by some fellow members. I also speculate that future Yaris models will be better equipped to match the competitions.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:35 PM   #21
nwdixieboy

Drives: ecoh
http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee8e567
According to this item the Fit has the same MPG as the Yaris.
nwdixieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:46 PM   #22
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
I own a Fit and driven a few Yaris but both in different transmission (CVT vs 5 speed) but I find the Yaris to be fairly sluggish and the Fit to be quite flexible and more willing to go places. Most of this I think comes down to the transmission I think but handling-wise, the Yaris comes up trumps.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:34 AM   #23
heybai

Drives: None
I own a Fit and driven a few Yaris but both in different transmission (CVT vs 5 speed) but I find the Yaris to be fairly sluggish and the Fit to be quite flexible and more willing to go places. Most of this I think comes down to the transmission I think but handling-wise, the Yaris comes up trumps.

How did you like the interior of the Fit compared to the Yaris? I am concerned about headroom. I am not that tall, but somehow my head almost always touches the roof in a small car -- and thus my interest in the Yaris and its superior roominess (as far as I have seen). I haven't bought anything yet but am looking.
heybai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:54 PM   #24
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
The Yaris has hard plastics on the door handles and dash relative to the Fit. The tops of the door trim is softer on the Yaris. The roof I find has plenty of room and there's a height adjustable seat should you need it on both vehicles. I find the Yaris wider but not as long as the Fit. The seats in the Fit is better as it has more side support when you're going around corners.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:24 AM   #25
hoahmaru

Drives: 2007 White Yaris RS B Pac.
Is the Fit cheaper in price than the Yaris? I believe in Canada it is cheaper, but I'am not too sure, gotta wait until the Fit hits show rooms in early April.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:45 AM   #26
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
I think the base is a little bit more expensive. However, Toyota's feature is known for expensive. So added with the feature, Fit could probably be cheaper.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:07 PM   #27
Funnypants

Drives: crappy rental cars
See here. Honda has released the pricing for the Fit:

$14,980 - Fit DX (manual)
$16,180 - Fit DX (automatic)
$17,180 - Fit LX (manual)
$18,380 - Fix LX (automatic)
$19,480 - Fit Sport (manual)
$20,780 - Fit Sport (automatic)

The DX doesn't have air conditioning, but compared to the Yaris the LX still looks like a damn good deal.

I'm a bit dissappointed, really, because I prefer the look and feel of the Yaris. But this is going to be our only car, and I'm really just after a fuel efficient, 4dr hatch with ABS, A/C and 60/40 seats.

To get that from Toyota I'd have to option up to the 5dr Yaris RS Package B with an MSRP of $18895.00 vs. the $17,180 Fit. That's $1715 less! And with the Fit I get side airbags as well as 21.3 cu-ft of cargo space behind the rear seats- that's almost as much as the Yaris gives with the rear seats folded down!

Got to hand it to Honda. It's a fugly car, but nice interior features and price. I'm hoping I've got this wrong and the Yaris is cheaper, but I don't think so.

:(
Funnypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:30 PM   #28
corey415

Drives: 95 Integra
Here are the US FIT PRICES:

Base manual - $13850
Base Auto - $14650
Sport Manual- $15170
Sport Auto - $15970

For all levels add $550 destination charge
corey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:44 PM   #29
benfal2001
Banned

Drives: Red Milano FIT LX
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdixieboy
Thanks for the info. I am strongly leaning towards the Yaris sedan as it is so much classier looking and I like having a trunk to hide things.
but trunk is always to small...
benfal2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:47 PM   #30
benfal2001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
Until I saw the pictures, I never knew the Fit was so much bigger. I have already bought the Yaris and will not change to another car soon, but I still enjoy reading posts discussing about which of the two is better.
Fit won the 1st place in Japan in 2002 and won the first place in www.CARandDRIVER.com over 6 others...

Need to say more ?
Old 05-14-2006, 02:58 PM   #31
benfal2001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzer
i drive 2005 honda Fit 1.5T, and my wife's 2006 yaris s limited is already at home. i think this 2 cars have its own fanatic fans, because the driving caracter is different, the yaris is more comfortable and solid than Fit (my wife and my daughter love it soo much), but for driving enthusiast who loved spirited driving... go for honda fit, .. believe me it has sportier performance and better driving experience in my opinion
I agree.

The Yaris is:
Too much body roll, cramped rear seat, falls short on directional stability.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:37 PM   #32
plushDJ

Drives: 2007 3 dr manual
The back seat isnt too cramped, I'm six foot and I have lots of room
plushDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:37 PM   #33
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by benfal2001
I agree.

The Yaris is:

No, you can leave now, no one wants you here.

The Yaris is the ONLY CAR IN HISTORY to win both COY awards for EUROPE and JAPAN in the same year.

Now go take your pitiful temper tantrum and leave. Go justify your horrid purchase somewhere else, we are sick of you trying to justify your mistake to us.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:12 PM   #34
Ron

Drives: BBM Yaris HB
i've heard that of the honda fit too, more of a 'lively' fun drive. but if i was looking for something fun and quick to drive, it wouldnt be an econobox. the joys of the yaris for me are: comfortable, versatile, good on gas, civil, and adequately peppy; perfect for a daily to/from work vehicle. i have yet to drive a fit, and i dont really care to. its just ugly IMO.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:31 PM   #35
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
Quote:
No, you can leave now, no one wants you here.

The Yaris is the ONLY CAR IN HISTORY to win both COY awards for EUROPE and JAPAN in the same year.

Now go take your pitiful temper tantrum and leave. Go justify your horrid purchase somewhere else, we are sick of you trying to justify your mistake to us.
lol why? !
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:17 PM   #36
w1ngzer0

Drives: Subaru Impreza
Quote:
Originally Posted by benfal2001
I agree.

The Yaris is:
has more room then my impreza and its a 4 door.
w1ngzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote