Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
Jrilla

Drives: 09 Yaris 4Dr Sedan
Sorry! Another fog light question.

I just spent an hour reading through fog light threads and I didn't see this exact question: I installed my own fog lights by cutting holes in my 09 Sedan trim pieces and I used the relay in the fuse block method and my own toggle switch to connect pin 3 and 4 on the headlight stalk. Everything works fine, except I din't realize the fogs would only work with the headlights on and would not work with only the parking lights or even the high beams. This is not a big deal, but I would like the option of turning them on anytime the ignition is on. I am pretty sure I would settle for then being able to be turned on when the parking lights are on.

All I have seen so far in my reading has been to skip the connection to pin 3 and 4 and run wires through the firewall. I am perfectly comfortable and knowledgeable of that procedure, and i even found out how to trigger the cluster light if I still want that after abandoning the pin 3 and 4 method.

I guess I am wondering if there is a way to trick the car into thinking the headlights are on, or something like that. I tested pin 3 and 4 and they are constant 12volts+ even with the key off. The only change that happens is one of them (I forget which right now) turns into a ground signal when the headlights are on and only when they are on.

I am very familiar with 12volt wiring, but my problem is I learned it all on my own and I never really learned much theory. My first thought was that all I need to do is ground the wire that changed to ground when the headlights are on, but then I would still need to connect the two wires (3 and 4). There is something wrong with this idea I'm sure, but I think a little more knowledge of the whole setup would help. like what is causing that pin 3 or 4 to change to ground when the headlights are turned on?

Any ideas? If I missed the thread that talks about this, I apologize and if you could point me in the direction of such thread, I would appreciate it greatly.
Jrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
This was discussed a while back in a fogs with high beams thread, but the simple answer is take the wire from your switch off of pin 4 and go straight to ground with it (leave the other on pin 3 though). This will bypass the DRL module and the logic for fogs only on with low beams.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
Jrilla

Thanks. Just to clarify, will the switch be in complete control of the fogs then regardless of the ignition being on or off?
Old 08-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrilla View Post
Thanks. Just to clarify, will the switch be in complete control of the fogs then regardless of the ignition being on or off?
correct
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
Jrilla

OK, thanks for the help. I will either keep it the way it is, or if I decide I want the option of turning them on with the parking lights or high beams I will just put a relay inline on the ground wire to the switch that either closes the circuit when the parking lights are on or maybe I'll use the ignition as the trigger so I can use the fogs as daytime running lights if I want.

Thanks again for the help.