Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-16-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
barmagan

Drives: yaris
[D-4D] increased fuel consumption and black smoke

Hello all,
I bought a 2007 Yaris d-4d terra (second hand). But recently my fuel consumption is increased by 20%. When I puch throttle, black smoke comes out from the exhaust (transmission at idle). First I brought the car to a technical service but they said they had to chamge all injection system and alot of parts.... and it will cost 4000TRL ($3000). So I bought a ELM327 OBDII scanner(with ScanTool.net v1.13 software). I didn't know any thing about OBDII related things till last week. My previous car was made in 1991. I am trying to figure out the problem. Any help will be appreciated.

DTC is 0101 ("Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem")

MAF sensor reads 7.44 g/s at idle and it changes with throttle upto 27g/s. I don't the nominal readings but I think it should be ok.(is it?)

The interesting thing is "Intake Manifold Pressure" does not change with the throttle. It constantly reads about 100kPa (changing between very slowly 98-102kPa)

I thought that there is "Intake Manifold Pressure" sensor. I tried locate this sensor in 2007 Yaris Repair Manuals but motor in the manual is (vvti) not similar to my diesel.

And one more thing. Even before these problems occured there was a little fuel leakage from one of the pipes after the times that I pushed the car a little hard. And also some exhaust gas smell in the car. Novadays I don't feel the smell.

NOTE: I can't find the VIN number. Probably it is removed or left under the last paint. Is it needed for more sensor readings? ScanTool doesn't read VIN. Can I read VIN via OBDII? I have considerable knowledge in programming(both windows and embedded). I guess I can write some code to read VIN with some info.

Thanks,

B.Armagan
barmagan is offline   Reply With Quote