Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2014, 01:34 AM   #1
Silverkarn

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris 2D
How good of a deal is this for $6500?

Uncle wants to sell me his old car. Probably gonna buy the car anyway, just want to get an idea of what kind of deal this is.

2008 3D Yaris. 54904 miles. $6500
ABS
Power Windows
Power Locks
Upgraded Seats
Cruise Control
CD player
Rear Defroster
Rear Wiper

Exterior is great, nothing that you would notice at first glance, washed up its pretty shiny.

Engine is clean, everything works, drives good with no odd sounds. Uncle put Mobil 1 synthetic oil in it almost immediately and changed it every 3k miles.

Battery probably needs replacing, and i'll probably have to get some new tires before next winter, being in Wisconsin, i need good traction.

Cargo cover is missing, cant find a replacement online anywhere.

KBB.com says that this is basically trade in value, so i am assuming i'm getting a deal.

EDIT: Oh, i'm excited to be joining the Yaris owners club. Any recommended things i should upgrade/install ASAP?
Silverkarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:42 AM   #2
trunkout
4 years of P90X!

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
GET IT! Depends on money and what you want as far as mods go!
trunkout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:07 AM   #3
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverkarn View Post

KBB.com says that this is basically trade in value, so i am assuming i'm getting a deal.

?
pretty much (assuming its an automatic). used private party value is in the $8K-$8.5K range range, so assuming sound body/mechanical condition, it is a good deal.

personally, ive never bought a used car before taking it to a mechanic of my choice and getting it checked over.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:22 AM   #4
Silverkarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunkout View Post
GET IT! Depends on money and what you want as far as mods go!
Well, something useful, i see the rear sway bar is mentioned often

I was looking at window tint for sure, i did it to my Jeep in 2000 and the tint is still strong with no bubbles or color change, but i don't know what the stock tinting is, i don't want it so dark the police pull me over.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:04 AM   #5
trunkout
4 years of P90X!

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Well, something useful, i see the rear sway bar is mentioned often

I was looking at window tint for sure, i did it to my Jeep in 2000 and the tint is still strong with no bubbles or color change, but i don't know what the stock tinting is, i don't want it so dark the police pull me over.
That varies state by state! Tint is one of the first things I do on ALL cars. I thought everyone did!

Missouri is 35% front and whatever you want beyond that so I have 5% on all but front windows of my sedan.
trunkout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:32 AM   #6
Silverkarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunkout View Post
That varies state by state! Tint is one of the first things I do on ALL cars. I thought everyone did!

Missouri is 35% front and whatever you want beyond that so I have 5% on all but front windows of my sedan.
Wisconsin here is 50% front and 35% back. Any idea what the tinting percentage is for stock windows?
I don't want to make them so dark i get a ticket, or at least i want it so that i can prove they aren't too dark if i go to contest the ticket.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:35 AM   #7
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
That's a steal! Depending on which part of the country you live, I'd suggest tint. I live in Vegas and cannot fathom without it. However, in Seattle, my friends do not tint their windows since it's overcast there on the daily. Anyways, rear sway bar improves handling and as for performance mods, it's vastly cheaper than other cars. I was just talking to a friend about his RSX and a turbo - the particular he was aiming for was around $3000. Yaris turbos are 1/2 of the price. In general, it is a fun, inexpensive car that'll do more than get you from "A to B."

Anyways, how's the paint job?
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:48 AM   #8
Silverkarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyzticZ3r0 View Post
That's a steal! Depending on which part of the country you live, I'd suggest tint. I live in Vegas and cannot fathom without it. However, in Seattle, my friends do not tint their windows since it's overcast there on the daily. Anyways, rear sway bar improves handling and as for performance mods, it's vastly cheaper than other cars. I was just talking to a friend about his RSX and a turbo - the particular he was aiming for was around $3000. Yaris turbos are 1/2 of the price. In general, it is a fun, inexpensive car that'll do more than get you from "A to B."

Anyways, how's the paint job?
Besides right behind the tires, the paintjob is clean and nothing is really noticeable. Didn't take a magnifying glass to it though.

Great thing, it has NEVER been driven in the winter in areas where they salt the roads. Until this next coming winter at least.

Tell me more about the cheap. I'm used to shelling out over 100 dollars a tire for my Jeep.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:31 PM   #9
X92Festy

Drives: 2008 Yaris 2 dr...Blue
Thats a sweet deal.....I'd pick it up if its a Yaris you really want. The prices are all over the place on this car....I looked for two months and the 07-11's ranged from 6000-12000 depending on mileage. I often found the same year car, mileage, transmission can very by several thousand. I missed an 08 manual 2dr with 18k on it, one owner for 8500 bux. That same car can be 11 or 12 thousand at a dealer. Buy it!
X92Festy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:38 PM   #10
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Cargo cover is missing, cant find a replacement online anywhere.
Cargo cover is overrated. I haven't had mine installed in over 2 years and don't miss it. It's cracked in the center from leaning on it, but I'd be happy to part with it.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #11
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Besides right behind the tires, the paintjob is clean and nothing is really noticeable. Didn't take a magnifying glass to it though.

Great thing, it has NEVER been driven in the winter in areas where they salt the roads. Until this next coming winter at least.

Tell me more about the cheap. I'm used to shelling out over 100 dollars a tire for my Jeep.
I just dropped $400 on some ultra-high-performance summer tires (installed, disposal, etc.) but you can routinely get them around $300 a set for plain old all-season tires. I've been driving on salted roads for 3 winters now and don't have any complaints about the paint. Granted, there are plenty of chips here and there, but it isn't rusting like a Ford pickup truck. I say buy it.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:54 PM   #12
Silverkarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
I just dropped $400 on some ultra-high-performance summer tires (installed, disposal, etc.) but you can routinely get them around $300 a set for plain old all-season tires. I've been driving on salted roads for 3 winters now and don't have any complaints about the paint. Granted, there are plenty of chips here and there, but it isn't rusting like a Ford pickup truck. I say buy it.

Do you do bring it to a carwash with an undercarriage wash once in a while during the winter?

"Leaning" on the cargo cover? How do you lean on the cargo cover?
Old 04-24-2014, 11:37 PM   #13
CrankyOldMan

Yes, I frequently take it to the wash in the winter. Can't do it in the summer (because drop) so I wash by hand when it's sunny.

I had the cargo cover in with the hatch open, and reached into the back seat to get something out. Cracked the back edge of it, but it still covers the cargo area.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #14
ron3

Drives: 2012 yaris HB 5door LE auto.
I have a like new cargo cover off a 2011 3 dr h-back ronvhoa@yahoo.com
ron3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #15
Silverkarn

I wasn't really looking to buy at this moment, i was just trying to find an average price range that i could save for.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #16
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
At that price, I would try to make a deal with your
Uncle & make payments...seriously

Me Get A Car!
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #17
Silverkarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
At that price, I would try to make a deal with your
Uncle & make payments...seriously

Me Get A Car!
That's the plan as soon as he gets back from vacation. I was toying with the idea of getting a bank loan for a couple hundred more so i can buy tires for the car.

On the other hand, the tires aren't bad enough that i need tires RIGHT AWAY and he won't charge me interest.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #18
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Quote:
That's the plan as soon as he gets back from vacation. I was toying with the idea of getting a bank loan for a couple hundred more so i can buy tires for the car.

On the other hand, the tires aren't bad enough that i need tires RIGHT AWAY and he won't charge me interest.
Well heck yeah
Hope it works out - you can make payments & he'll get some steady
$$$ in for awhile.
Just save for the tires, 10-20 bucks a week put-away & you'll have the money for tires in no time at all - I could start collecting Yaris' if I could find them for that price.
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote