Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
sticky ignition switch

Does anyone else's ignition switch hang up in the "Start" position? Twice now, the switch has stuck in the Start position and the starter kept spinning even after I let the key go. I then have to turn key back manually.

Seems to happen only when it's cold. Grease getting gummy when it's cold? Worth taking to dealer?
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
Bellorank
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Sedan
I have been experiencing the same problem since the time got colder. Took it to the dealer and they said it was the grease in the switch/key barrel, which overtime hardens during cold weather. He recommended adding a small amount of heat carefully (with battery disconnented) to the switch and toggle back and forth with the key in the ignition to loosen up the grease inside.
Bellorank is offline   Reply With Quote