Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-06-2010, 01:44 AM   #1
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Exclamation HELP! I detailed my interior, and now having a headlight issue!

Ok, here's what happened: I was detailing my interior today for the meet tomorrow. Picked out all the junk, boxed work stuff, threw away garbage and used armoral cleaning wipes. To get the more stubborn or hard to reach places I used 50% rubbing alcohol on a paper towel or with an old electric toothbrush. For just over an hour I used the stereo, and for over 2.5 hours I had the back hatch open. When I went to start the car it hesitated to start but it did, and I noticed that the left running light was flickering really fast so I turned my lights on and it stopped, but my right headlight wasn't working other than a very small orange glow.

So my first thought was "burnt out headlight". Went to autozone and bought a new bulb, only to find out it wasn't the headlight.

So yeah, my running light flickers, and full on works great but my passenger headlight doesn't really work at all. I didn't poor the rubbing alcohol in anything, I just blotted it on a cotton ball or paper towel when I cleaned.

Anybody have any ideas on what happened? Up until this point I've never had this happen.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:35 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Did you check the fuses? I semi-blew a fuse when one of my HID ballasts (eBay ones) died. I spent $100 at the stealership to get that diagnosed (had the same dim headlight issue as you)
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:03 AM   #3
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
do like what i do every time i mess something up, put everything back the way it was, drive to the dealer and play stupid..... it jsut started doing this...i dont know what happened
Old 06-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
Astroman
Modded Moderator

I'll check the fuses this morning. If everything looks OK off to the stealership. Had them repair the damage from the wreck so I might be able to pin it on that. For now I just unplugged my headlights so I don't get pulled over. Around here they'll pull you over for a headlight being out during the day.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Ah ha! That was it! A blown fuse. Someone (not me) had put in a 7.5 amp fuse in the right headlight spot, not a 10 amp fuse. Must have happened some time when they fixed my car from the accident. I just borrowed one from my horn until I made it to autozone and bought more fuses.