Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-30-2019, 05:28 PM   #1
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Best New Car Brands for 2019

https://247wallst.com/autos/2019/06/...srlui=15559142
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:59 AM   #2
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
Now that Ford and Chevy beat out both Honda and Toyota, perhaps it's time to ditch the Yaris for a Ford Fiesta.

Or maybe not...

Well, Kia is #2 on the list so I can see no reason not to jump into a nice Kia Rio. Except...

I do like the 2016+ Chevy Spark, I could see myself scooting around town in one.
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:28 AM   #3
suprf1y

Drives: 05 Echo
I'd like to test drive a Spark just to see what it's like, and I think it was two years ago that the Chevy Sonic was rated #1 among subcompact cars.
suprf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbowl View Post

I do like the 2016+ Chevy Spark, I could see myself scooting around town in one.
get the spark ev

ridiculously cheap like <$8K

ridiculously cheap to charge

stop buying gas

quick fun reliable

great short range city car which is totally adequate for most americans driving
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:13 AM   #5
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
get the spark ev

stop buying gas

quick fun reliable

I just read about the spark EV after your post and for the first time ever I'm interested in an EV. I need to find one and test drive it
Old 07-01-2019, 07:55 PM   #6
KALISPEL II

Drives: '22 Mazda CX-30 CE AWD 6-AT
Like the first 90 days of ownership survey tells you much of anything about a car, except how many idiots couldn't figure out how to properly work the infotainment console features & then whined about it on the J.D. Powers initial quality survey.

I *almost* feel sorry for people who base their car buying decisions on things like J.D. Powers, Consumer Reports, etc., instead of doing their own in-depth, varied research. The lazy sheep like to be led I guess.

Last edited by KALISPEL II; 07-01-2019 at 08:11 PM.
KALISPEL II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:39 PM   #7
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
Quote:
get the spark ev

stop buying gas

quick fun reliable

We didn't get the Spark EV in Hawaii or else I would definitely consider it! We did get Mitsubishi i-Miev but they didn't sell well and are pretty rare.
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:46 PM   #8
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Ooo, ooo ,ooo an initial quality survey (read: lowest of the low data methods) let's use this to make a decision on how to buy my next reliable car...

In all seriousness this is one of the reasons people end up in Chevy's etc and then 5 years later complain to their mechanic about them being endless money pits even though their mechanic recommended a Toyota or Honda
Old 07-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #9
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Ooo, ooo ,ooo an initial quality survey (read: lowest of the low data methods) let's use this to make a decision on how to buy my next reliable car...

In all seriousness this is one of the reasons people end up in Chevy's etc and then 5 years later complain to their mechanic about them being endless money pits even though their mechanic recommended a Toyota or Honda
Right!? I always end up doing way too much research before making a big purchase and usually change my mind. I think I need to find a balance, lol
Old 07-03-2019, 06:58 PM   #10
suprf1y

Drives: 05 Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post

It's also one of the reasons people end up in expensive cars that aren't very good. There's considerable incentive to report one's expensive purchase as satisfying.

FYI, 2-3 year old Chevy's have been my go-to for the last 20 years, and they've been unbelievably reliable at half the price of comparable Japanese cars.

They all make good and bad cars.
suprf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:23 PM   #11
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Quote:
get the spark ev

stop buying gas

quick fun reliable

Ok, you got me interested also. I've seen the regular Spark quite often around here in the Midwest, but the EV was never sold here new. It looks pretty-much the same except for the grill, charging port location, and lack of an exhaust. It's actually not a bad looking car(especially when you consider to recent styling coming from Toyota/Honda.

I did some research also and found there's a DCFC option that was $750 extra and not all Spark EVs have it. Apparently, it's VERY desirable and this allows you to get more miles/day out of your Spark(note I didn't say 'increased range per charge'- it's still the same 80ish miles). What DCFC does is allow you to use a J-1772combo charger to recharge in minutes vs. hours with a standard Level 2. This way you could drive hundreds of miles in a day so long as you can find places to fast-recharge along the way. The author of a blog I'm getting this info from(linked below) claims 20 minute charges to 65% from almost zero. This almost sounds Supercharger-ish, but remember we're talking way less range(still somewhat impressive, however).

It will do 0-60 in 8 seconds. Like you said, no more gas stations either!
https://sparkev.blogspot.com/2015/05...g-from-la.html
toad is offline   Reply With Quote