Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Josepe-sv

Drives: Yaris 2008 HB 1.5
Airbag light panel is ON

This 2008 model just start the light ON, when the mileage was in 35,000 miles

Is a maintenance issue?
There is no any hit recent.
Can be a sensor?

Can be delete the alert message by reset (like MAINT REQ alert)?
Josepe-sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You can get the SRS ECU to tell you what the code is for the problem by following this procedure:

1. Turn the ignition off. With a jumper, connect the TC and CG terminals on the OBD port.

2. Turn the ignition on. The SRS (airbag) light will flash in a pattern to indicate the stored DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes). Each code will be short flashes, separated by pauses (for example 32 would be flash, flash, flash, pause, flash, flash). Each 2 digit code will be separated by a longer pause, and then the codes will repeat until you turn off the ignition.

To clear the stored codes and reset the light do the following:

1. Turn the ignition off. With a jumper, connect the TC and CG terminals on the OBD port.

2. Turn the ignition on. When the SRS light starts flashing the codes, within 3 to 10 seconds remove the jumper frm TC. After 3 seconds the SRS light will come on solid.

3. Within 2 to 4 seconds after the SRS lights, reconnect the jumper to TC.

4. Within 2 to 4 seconds the SRS light will go off. Once it does, within 2 to 4 seconds disconnect TC.

5. Within 2 to 4 seconds the SRS light will come one solid again. Within 2 to 4 seconds after the SRS lights, reconnect the jumper to TC.

6. Within 2 to 4 seconds the SRS light will go off. One second later, if all DTCs are cleared the SRS light will flash steadily on and off. If codes are still registered it will flash in the pattern to indicate the stored codes.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Vinceb

Drives: 2008 5 Speed Sedan
wow, thats a fair bit of instructions just to clear DTC's, is it just a jumper wire, straight short? or should you use a resistor?
Vinceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceb View Post
wow, thats a fair bit of instructions just to clear DTC's, is it just a jumper wire, straight short? or should you use a resistor?
Actually it's a nice thing that you can clear them at all without needing a TechStream tool.

Literally just a jumper wire is all that is required (i.e. you are shorting the two pins together).
Old 04-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
bert66

Drives: 2009 toyota yaris
G'day CT. Went through the process several times. Problem still not solved. The light would not go out at step 4. Do you have an idea of what that would indicate. Regards Bert
bert66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Ulisses03hd
I've made a post!

Drives: 08 Yaris
Bump
Ulisses03hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
nseries

Drives: Vios 04
I have just done the diagnostic and the airbag light keep on flashing steadily. I'm not sure what is the codes as it wont pause in between, when i disconnect the pin, the airbag light solid. What could be the possible problem?

Thanks
nseries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nseries View Post
I have just done the diagnostic and the airbag light keep on flashing steadily. I'm not sure what is the codes as it wont pause in between, when i disconnect the pin, the airbag light solid. What could be the possible problem?

Thanks
That procedure is only for 06+ Yaris.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:40 AM   #9
nseries

Thanks for the reply. I'm planning to send to service center if there is no other manual ways to get the codes and reset.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:29 AM   #10
nseries

I managed to get to scan the codes from my friend. However,I just contacted the authorized service center and i made an appointment for next week diagnostic.

As using my friend diagnostic tools, i got an error code of U2100 DTC. I've scanned through at internet and it reported CAN communication off or dysfunction. Can someone elaborate more on this? I'm just curios as the CAN bus off will light up the airbag symbol in my car dash.

Thanks all...:)
Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nseries View Post
I managed to get to scan the codes from my friend. However,I just contacted the authorized service center and i made an appointment for next week diagnostic.

As using my friend diagnostic tools, i got an error code of U2100 DTC. I've scanned through at internet and it reported CAN communication off or dysfunction. Can someone elaborate more on this? I'm just curios as the CAN bus off will light up the airbag symbol in my car dash.

Thanks all...:)
That CAN bus error is a generic one, which probably indicates that the scan tool does not support the protocol for talking to your car's SRS ECU.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
nseries

Hi CTScott,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I was worried and look around at the web regarding this error code U2100. It seems so serious if that is really the problem of CAN BUS dysfunction. I shall be able to get back to here whats the possible cause after i send my car to service center next week.

I hope nothing serious will happen to my SRS airbag system or the computer inside the vehicle.

Thanks so much,
Cheers,

From all the way Malaysia! =)
Old 07-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
One of the air bags losing its activation pressure could make the light stay on. I'll guess that they have low air pressure sensors similar to the valve stems on the wheels.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
One of the air bags losing its activation pressure could make the light stay on. I'll guess that they have low air pressure sensors similar to the valve stems on the wheels.
I don't know if you intended this as a bit of humor, but this could not be more incorrect as to how air bags function.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
tooter
play every day

I'm glad to amuse you CT... but even more humorous, I was serious.

Air+ bag = a bag full of air.

What activates airbags?
Old 07-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I'm glad to amuse you CT... but even more humorous, I was serious.

Air+ bag = a bag full of air.

What activates airbags?
They are basically little bombs. There is an explosive charge in the squib that is electrically detonated to rapidly fill the bag (with hot, stinky gas, as opposed to air). The SRS system makes sure that they are ready to fire at all times, by running a low voltage through the squib and looking for the voltage drop across it. That allows the system to detect that the squib circuit is open (broken wire) or shorted.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #17
tooter
play every day

Wow... stinkbombs. Thanks so much for the information CT, I understand now. I had just guessed that they were powered by little CO2 cartridges.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:12 AM   #18
nseries

Its just too complicated for me. :( I just hope the SRS airbag wont deploy out of sudden. I need to drive to work everyday until next week for service appointment.

Tags
airbag