Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-21-2006, 08:16 AM   #55
boxerboy

Drives: WRX ,Tacoma and Yaris
Thanks for pointing out the info TRD. My wife has a RX300 with the vvt-i and I'm not sure at what rpm it gets the extra push, but you can feel it. How hard have you pushed your yaris and can you feel the vvt-i ? I only have 780 miles on mine so far.
boxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:34 AM   #56
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
if the electronic throttle control adjusts to your driving habits, what happens when more than one person drives the car?

the only reason why i ask is because my wife drives way different than i do, she shifts at lower revs and doesn't downshift when braking
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:08 AM   #57
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerboy
Thanks for pointing out the info TRD. My wife has a RX300 with the vvt-i and I'm not sure at what rpm it gets the extra push, but you can feel it. How hard have you pushed your yaris and can you feel the vvt-i ? I only have 780 miles on mine so far.
VVT-i does not provide an extra push. VVTL-i does (the L stands for "lift," meaning the engine is increasing the valve lift for performance). VVTL-i is found on the 2ZZ-FE engine, which is found in the Celica GT-S, Corolla XRS and Matrix XRS.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:03 AM   #58
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine
VVT-i does not provide an extra push. VVTL-i does (the L stands for "lift," meaning the engine is increasing the valve lift for performance). VVTL-i is found on the 2ZZ-FE engine, which is found in the Celica GT-S, Corolla XRS and Matrix XRS.
yeah..but i thought it was a "2ZZ-GE"..but i'm probably wrong

I can't really say much about pushing it, since i haven't actually taken my new liftback past 4500 rpm, but it does have a pretty good low end torque (which probably comes from the Variable Valve timing intelligence..which is pretty basic technology, in my opionion but does give high revving 4 cylinders low end torque..kinda the same result as VTEC for honda/acura)

Now that i mention it, i can't really remember if my Lexus had VVTiL right now..but that could be because i'm on my 4th Rum&Coke.. The difference there would be tough to compare anyway, since the lexus has a Supra 2JZ-GE which is WELL known for low end torque (INLINE 6, not V6)..so a top end coming on strong would be tough to feel :P

As far as multiple drivers of the car, i don't think the "learning computer" learns as much about the driver as much as Learn about the car itself and how it responds..in other words if the car *pings* a few times..maybe the computer learns that it needs to retard the timing a bit to compensate or enrich the fuel to smooth out something. but.. i'm probably wrong about this too. There is just too much stuff we are still simply ASSUMING..but as a community we will figure out these wily little rides.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:44 AM   #59
AlexK

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan 5MT
For the people who don't believe 50 mpg is possible in their Yaris, believe it.

My scangauge has been perfectly accurate, matching the measured tank mpg exactly. On the highway I got 48 mpg on a 230 mile road trip. I got 51 mpg on a 30 mile trip. Actually if you know how to drive for fuel economy, the best mpg will be city driving. The other day I got 59.5 mpg on my 8.8 mile trip to work. My friend has a Yaris sedan with AT and averaged 56.2 mpg on a 80 mile road trip but he was doing everything possible for mileage (including drafting semi's). So far he has bragging rights for best mpg on a long trip.

The best advice I can give to get better mpg in the Yaris is:
1) Drive like your brakes don't work. That means letting off the gas 1/2 mile before the red light, so you coast down to 20 mph before braking.
2) Upshift at low RPMs. I'm in 5th gear at 40 mph.
3) Don't engine brake. Coast in neutral instead. You would be amazed how far you can coast in neutral.
AlexK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:53 AM   #60
Frink

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 5 door 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK
1) Drive like your brakes don't work. That means letting off the gas 1/2 mile before the red light, so you coast down to 20 mph before braking.
3) Don't engine brake. Coast in neutral instead. You would be amazed how far you can coast in neutral.
Great advice, I'd just add to do the speed limit or close to it and learn to relax while driving, we really don't need to be 3 feet from the car in front of us.
My last two tanks have been 46mpg(us) or 5.1l/100km by using the above techniques and tires inflated to 40psi cold.
I just changed to AMS synthetic oil... we'll see if that helps a bit more.

Last edited by Frink; 09-28-2006 at 11:43 PM.
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:09 AM   #61
xtrred

Drives: 02 wrx wagon to 07 yaris sedan
I just got 480 miles to my last tank, and I think I can go further. The CEL hasn't come on at low fuel level yet, so I have more miles left at fill up I think.

I' don't always baby it either. It cracks me up to try and here the VVT-i, and I think I can sometimes! but yeayh, shooting for +500 miles a tank on 87 octane.
xtrred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:40 PM   #62
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:

awesome advise.
i have just got into the habit of coasting, to the point now that it seems natural to do so. my mpg's keep going up every tank as i get more effeciant.

soon, scangauge to come :)
Old 09-28-2006, 06:39 PM   #63
fantabulousbaby

Drives: 3 series
Um, can yall pls explain to me how ur calculating miles per gallon? The capacity is supposed to be 11.2 gallons, but you never use 'all of it' until you fill ur next tank. I set my tripometer to zero and filled up till the thing clicked, it said 10.83 gallons on receipt, and there are 8 gas bars. Do you divide it? Also I can't accurately tell how many miles to the tank I get cuz once the u get to the last bar it starts blinking, and according to the manual it says the faster it blinks the lower you are on gas.. well how r u supposed to know what's considered fast blinking? I'm just curious how you guys r saying 'I get so and so to the gallon'. I guess I could estimate..
fantabulousbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:19 PM   #64
paeko73

Drives: Yaris "S" Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantabulousbaby
Um, can yall pls explain to me how ur calculating miles per gallon? The capacity is supposed to be 11.2 gallons, but you never use 'all of it' until you fill ur next tank. I set my tripometer to zero and filled up till the thing clicked, it said 10.83 gallons on receipt, and there are 8 gas bars. Do you divide it? Also I can't accurately tell how many miles to the tank I get cuz once the u get to the last bar it starts blinking, and according to the manual it says the faster it blinks the lower you are on gas.. well how r u supposed to know what's considered fast blinking? I'm just curious how you guys r saying 'I get so and so to the gallon'. I guess I could estimate..
I would do this: Write down the current mileage on the receipt you got, then after "the thing clicks" at your NEXT fill-up, note the mileage AND the number of gallons just went in the tank. Then, subtract the last mileage from this mileage, and divide the result by the gallons just went in the tank. That means the mileage you drove from the last fill-up divided by the gallons your Yaris drank from last fill-up.
paeko73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:25 PM   #65
AlexK

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan 5MT
I calculate my mpg in two ways.

The first way is by the tank. Reset your trip meter when you fill up your tank. When it's time to fill up again, record how many gallons you put in to fill it (that's how many you used to drive those miles you have on the trip meter). Divide miles driven by gallons used, for example my last tank was 449 miles / 10.1 gallons = 44.5 mpg. You don't need to drain the tank to do this. If you don't fill up to exactly the same level every time it doesn't really matter, because if you record the mpg of every tank, the average result will be correct.

The second way is a lot more fun. A scangauge automatically shows gas mileage for the current trip. It does a lot of other stuff too. Check it out here: http://www.scangauge.com/. Using the scangauge you can learn to drive super-efficiently and get incredible gas mileage.
AlexK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:54 AM   #66
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
Quote:
I calculate my mpg in two ways.

The first way is by the tank. Reset your trip meter when you fill up your tank. When it's time to fill up again, record how many gallons you put in to fill it (that's how many you used to drive those miles you have on the trip meter). Divide miles driven by gallons used, for example my last tank was 449 miles / 10.1 gallons = 44.5 mpg. You don't need to drain the tank to do this. If you don't fill up to exactly the same level every time it doesn't really matter, because if you record the mpg of every tank, the average result will be correct.

The second way is a lot more fun. A scangauge automatically shows gas mileage for the current trip. It does a lot of other stuff too. Check it out here: http://www.scangauge.com/. Using the scangauge you can learn to drive super-efficiently and get incredible gas mileage.

So I'm guessing the scanguauge will work in a 2007 yaris liftback. I don't understand how it connects to the computer in the car. WHere is the obdII port

Last edited by foober; 09-29-2006 at 09:58 AM.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:59 AM   #67
xtrred

Drives: 02 wrx wagon to 07 yaris sedan
The port is typically under the dash board in the vacinity of the steering colum, hood popper. That was true of my Subaru ( I was always checking my CEL lights) so I'm ASSUMING it's in the same general area :p
xtrred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:36 PM   #68
Frink

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 5 door 5 speed
The OBDII port is affixed to the bottom of the dash, pointing down, on the left hand side on North American cars.
I'ts just below the swing out storage bin by the drivers left knee.
I just installed my Scangauge last night... very cool gadget.
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:07 PM   #69
foober

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frink
The OBDII port is affixed to the bottom of the dash, pointing down, on the left hand side on North American cars.
I'ts just below the swing out storage bin by the drivers left knee.
I just installed my Scangauge last night... very cool gadget.
Thanks for that info.. I'm guessing its the white plug in port just under the fuse box. Is that what you mean. It looks like a rectangular plug port.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:04 PM   #70
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by foober
Thanks for that info.. I'm guessing its the white plug in port just under the fuse box. Is that what you mean. It looks like a rectangular plug port.

Yep!
Old 09-29-2006, 08:13 PM   #71
foober

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000
Yep!
Cool, just ordered a scangaugeII. Didn't realize it would be that easy to plug in. What a great little gadget.