Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #19
tomjasz
Banned

Drives: 07 Black Yaris LB, 05 Camry LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by daq421
http://www.yakima.com/

Yakima does have Yaris racks!!
-Peter

For the LB Yakima says....

Our marvelous Yakima Fit Team is currently racking their brains out, assessing a rack fit for your vehicle. Generally, this means that we will have a fit for your vehicle sometime in the near future, but not always. Sometimes we find that there is no way to fit your vehicle; in this case, we will upgrade this note to a "No Fit" status. Otherwise, we will list what towers, clips, and bars will work for you. Please be patient, though, there are a lot of new vehicles out there on the road today for our hard working team to check out!
tomjasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:40 PM   #20
tomjasz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjasz
There are European versions....I'll look for my links, but they are very pricey. I'm waiting for Yakima or Thule....

http://www.car-roofracks.co.uk/cgi-b...racks_bars.cgi
Old 09-19-2006, 01:53 PM   #21
tomjasz
Banned

Quote:
There are European versions....I'll look for my links, but they are very pricey. I'm waiting for Yakima or Thule....

http://www.car-roofracks.co.uk/cgi-b...racks_bars.cgi
Old 09-19-2006, 02:35 PM   #22
daq421
MPG is the new cool

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan (silver) Auto
Send a message via AIM to daq421
Quote:
For the LB Yakima says....

Our marvelous Yakima Fit Team is currently racking their brains out, assessing a rack fit for your vehicle. Generally, this means that we will have a fit for your vehicle sometime in the near future, but not always. Sometimes we find that there is no way to fit your vehicle; in this case, we will upgrade this note to a "No Fit" status. Otherwise, we will list what towers, clips, and bars will work for you. Please be patient, though, there are a lot of new vehicles out there on the road today for our hard working team to check out!
Ah sorry...
-Peter
Old 09-19-2006, 03:17 PM   #23
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by foober
I need a top rack for my windsurfer and kyack for my yaris liftback. If anyone finds any information towards this please post it. I've looked everywhere and found nothing yet.
thule told me "if they had to guess, it would be a couple of months" and that was just recently.

i couldnt wait, and bought the Saris Bones rack. If/when the thule comes out, i may buy that... although im not too stoked on prelim reports of bad gas milage with the rack/bike up there.. i may just keep 'em on the hatch.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:50 PM   #24
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I put 3 mountain bikes in my Yaris when it was less than 1 week old. We just took the front wheels off and staggered them, laying one on top of the other. I have the fold flat seats, and the space in the floor took the bottom bike's pedal, which let it lay flat. Also got a cooler and my buddy's luggage and my luggage! It was packed to the roof! Still got 36MPG on that trip to Virginia Beach! Yaris LB ROCKS!!
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:48 PM   #25
platypus

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell
I put 3 mountain bikes in my Yaris when it was less than 1 week old. We just took the front wheels off and staggered them, laying one on top of the other. I have the fold flat seats, and the space in the floor took the bottom bike's pedal, which let it lay flat. Also got a cooler and my buddy's luggage and my luggage! It was packed to the roof! Still got 36MPG on that trip to Virginia Beach! Yaris LB ROCKS!!
yikes, add a couple of strippers and a gallon of cocoa butter, and it sounds like a party!
platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:11 AM   #26
H8SGAS

Drives: Black Liftback
Yeah this was one of the few concerns with trading in the Wrangler, I'm waiting for some type of removable transport system too. In the mean time I've been just sticking to trails I can bike to speaking of, are ya'll putting the mud caked mountain bikes back in the car or bringing stuff to wash them after?
Old 09-20-2006, 07:41 AM   #27
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8SGAS
Yeah this was one of the few concerns with trading in the Wrangler, I'm waiting for some type of removable transport system too. In the mean time I've been just sticking to trails I can bike to speaking of, are ya'll putting the mud caked mountain bikes back in the car or bringing stuff to wash them after?
get one of these:

keep it in the back... clean off "most" of the muck after your ride. i saw someone using one at a 'cross race last year. great idea.

both Thule & Saris make a hatch mounted rack for the liftback (see my above post)... better than tossing them in the back, i guess.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:42 AM   #28
Wayside

Drives: 07 yaris 5spd sdn
Another option would be a trailer hitch rack.

2007 TOYOTA Yaris 4 DR Sedan CLASS I RECEIVER HITCH
Click Here To View Instructions (Requires Acrobat Reader)

Thule hitch mount racks
Saris hitch mount racks
Yakima hitch mount racks

The setup will run you about as much as a roof rack but it takes a total of 5 seconds to remove the 1-1/4" hitch rack from the car which is nice, plus 0 contact with your paint
Wayside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:10 PM   #29
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
If you are a casual rider or a "roadie", check out these 'folding' bikes. They fit very easily in the back of a LB - no wheel removal required.

They are not intended for off-road use - 20" wheels are not meant for big bumps and the hinged frame is not intended for that kind of punishment.

That said, they are great on bike paths and normal city streets. You can also take them inside as they take very little room to store. There are about a 1/2 dozen other good brands of folding bikes.

Check here for Dahon:
http://www.dahon.com/

or here for general folding bike info and topics:
http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=221
Old 09-21-2006, 07:11 AM   #30
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

i used my new Saris Bones last night for the first time, heading to the UNH 'Cross race. worked like a charm. I kept all my gear in the car, & put teh bike AND my pit wheels on the rack. easy as pie.
very secure. I could easy fit on 2 bikes & 1 set of wheels.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:30 AM   #31
Wayside

Drives: 07 yaris 5spd sdn
Quote from the Thule engineering department,

"We have a fit for the sedan, just waiting on Swedish production. Haven't fit the hatchback yet but hopefully it will be the same kit."

No time frame was given...
Wayside is offline   Reply With Quote