Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-28-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
strider86x

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Did i do the right thing?

hi just got home from a minor accident, some pick up truck had the gull to clip my yaris and not bother to stop...i took down the license plate number and reported him/her to the police..basically no damage done to my yaris just got the pick ups nasty dirty color smeared on the driver side mirror which i cleaned off. officer told me not to report it as it would increase my issuance, took his advice and they will look for this prick who failed to stop. so did i do the right thing? little steamed off right now so my logic could be off.
strider86x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:38 AM   #2
MWill517

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan Barcelona Red
If there is no damage and nothing to claim for insurance repair. I would not see a reason to report it to your insurance company. It would just be something in your record for them to use against you. Just my opinion.
MWill517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:44 AM   #3
xtrred

Drives: 02 wrx wagon to 07 yaris sedan
AFAIK you can file a police report w/o your insurance provider getting involved. The report will allow the police to find the guy, get his side of things, then allow you to decide if you want to press any charges.

SAME thing just happened to a friedn. A box truck turned around in his driveway, hit his truck, & took off. He went out, got the LP #, and drove to the PD to file the report. The police ( who tracked the guy down) said the other dirver's insurance would cover it as he was at fault. My friend opted NOT to tell his ins. carrier, for reasons stated above
xtrred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:44 AM   #4
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Did you do the right thing? HELL YES! Press charges dude, f$&@ that hillbilly.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:22 AM   #5
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Ι have had the same problem.

I just took my car to Toyota(to check that everything is fine) and I left things as they were.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:50 AM   #6
riceboy

Drives: icebox
I'd find out where they live, and leave em a nice surprise for the morning....
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:09 AM   #7
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
There might be a good reason for a guy to leave the scene.

My brother got rear ended while he was going about 30 mph and the dude took off. My brother chased him and he and a witness boxed him into a parking lot. The witness moved out of the way because the guy was about to ram him and he had kids in the car. They got his license number and the cops tracked him down. Turns out he had been robbing banks all over the area and was just leaving the scene of one when he hit my brother. NOT someone you'd want to track down on your own.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:26 AM   #8
pennystocks

Drives: 07 Civic Si Coupe(Black Pearl)
Yea, i got rear ended by a chevy astro bearly over a week after gettin my yaris. They guy was wasted, and it was like 3pm, what a loser, lol. He just kinda slowly rolled into me, almost no damage. And by the looks of the front of his car i was the least of his problems, look like he hit a car another car at like 30 mph. I called the cops and everything and they said the same thing, probaly be a waste to report it. They got the prick at least tho.
pennystocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:56 AM   #9
strider86x

Drives: Yaris Sedan
to bring things to thier conclusion, officer said the prick didn't have insurance thus the ill-logic of him running off...i'm not going to report it to my insurance since afterall no damage was done, which i would of written off if he did stop and not bring the authorities in on it. however since the prick did leave thats a different story.(plus the fact my baby girl was in the baby seat) at least my sexy yaris wasn't damage and both of us are ok. i sure am glad i got abs to move out of his way, imagine trying to take a right turn from a lane away?(mind you i was already going into the right turn, must of been in his blind spot or some thing)
strider86x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:52 AM   #10
captainzerocool
CAMRY FTW!

Drives: Camry LE V-6 (225,000+ miles)
When I get hit I file a report REGARDLESS of that the cops says/thinks.

Not that I get hit all the time, but the two time it has happened it actually paid off to report it.

I have no imagination.
captainzerocool is offline   Reply With Quote