Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-06-2006, 08:37 PM   #1
hans_fh

Drives: Yaris
Suggestion before my 5000-mile trip?

I am going to buy Yairs Sedan Manual Tranmission and as soon as I get the car I will have a long trip from Utah to Virginia to meet my family and then come back to Utah. it's about 5000 miles.

Do u guys have any suggestions for my long trip with the absolute brand new car?

Thanks!!
hans_fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
There's certainly difference of opinions on this, some say new cars don't need to be broken in, other say it does...my advice, take it easy, vary the rpms and try not to push the car too hard, when possible, but at the same time don't worry if you have to, its a Toyota and also its not the end of the world, the reason they suggest a break-in period is just to have "proper" wear into the drivetrain for longer lasting parts or extend lifetime of the drivetrain. I wish you luck and keep us posted! Post pictures when you can!
Old 10-06-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
Read the manual on breaking it in. You do have to take it somewhat easy the first 1,ooo miles or so. It'll tell you in the manual.

Last edited by foober; 10-06-2006 at 11:28 PM.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:30 PM   #4
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
When i got mine the dealer told me not to drive it above 100 km/h until the car runned 1000 kms, i don't know how much will that be in miles
Old 10-08-2006, 12:27 AM   #5
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitt
When i got mine the dealer told me not to drive it above 100 km/h until the car runned 1000 kms, i don't know how much will that be in miles
About 621 miles.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:25 PM   #6
fantabulousbaby

Drives: 3 series
I had to buy mine in Phoenix and drove back to Houston = 1200+ miles- dealer advised you should NOT use cruise control first 1000 miles (which was a pain). I'd never driven a brand new car before and you can definitely feel it being more 'stiff'. You have to let the speed keep alternating/fluctuating, i.e. on the highway, 65-68-71-69mph...etc etc. Have fun and be safe! I got my first ticket ever since gettin my license 5 yrs ago.. I tried to blame it on how I wasn't used to the speedometer in the center (which was partially true).. but he wouldn't let that fly , the Yaris is peppy and floats on the highway so watch ur speed
fantabulousbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:31 PM   #7
dandj

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan auto
I used to break in my engines but no more. My last two new cars I drove as hard or harder than I normally would and these two get the closes to epa estimates for gas mileage. I did vary the speed tho. 07 yaris sedan auto getting 39mpg.
dandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:37 PM   #8
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Yeahhh... my car didn't get off the dealer lot without me leaving some rubber. Its a Toyota, its a four banger... the break in period thing is negligable on a car like this.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:30 AM   #9
jbird

Drives: wannabe
You may want to plan on getting the oil changed once getting to Virginia just to be safe as a new engine during break-in will shed metal and be tougher on oil than one with say over 10,000 miles on it. Otherwise just check usual stuff like tire pressure (to save gas) and take the manual in case you need it like for a tire change or something.
jbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:00 AM   #10
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
There are different schools of thought. One is to take it easy however, I believe in running a car moderately hard or just drive it as you normally would everyday. Take it to 4000-5000rpm once in a while (no need to floor it). So far I've not broken any new car but as jbird said above, keep an eye out for fluids.

Oh, and another precaution, don't fall asleep on the wheel and have fun. :)
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:13 PM   #11
dandj

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan auto
I guess you have to do what your comfortable with. BUT you must enjoy!!
Don't worry about breaking your car.
dandj is offline   Reply With Quote