Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #37
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
I do have an Elantra! The rear suspension is defective on pretty much all of them. A specialty shop was able to fix the rear alignment and it drives world's better now. Not technically adjustable by Hyundai's specifications.

I tell you something, I will never ever buy one again. 3rd Gen yaris for life.
They're both good cars

The Yaris would be nicer if it was quiter, rides in comfort,spacious interior. All the gizmos at a reasonable price backed with 7 year life time unlimited warranty etc.

The Hyundai has it beat in everything except driving dynamics. Yaris has a bit of character in a sense that it feels more nimble and agile.But you can hear wind noise, road noise, engine noise. Feel bumps and generally feels fidgety on the road.

The I30 feels more refined and stable under all condition. They are working on the driving dynamic the next 130 will have independent suspension all round to address that lack of character.Don't get me wrong the handles well enough it just doesn't give you feed back like a Mazda 3.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #38
junorico24

The Yaris engine has some character as well it feels like a willing unit and eager. The Hyundai is again refined goes about it's business smoothy with no fuss. Yaris is smooth as well but gets rough with you press it. The i30 is a pleasant feel. If Hyundai can make their car fun it will sell like hot cakes.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:26 PM   #39
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
Kia are advertising a 7 year warranty on their new vehicles here in Australia. I know one person who bought a Kia because of that. It wil be interesting to see what happens at the end of the warranty period.

My experience with korean built vehicles is "sell it when the warranty expires." there were several instances of not being able to buy a single part, but having to pay for a much more expensive assembly containing the wanted part.

Last edited by kevinj93; 02-26-2017 at 02:13 AM.
kevinj93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:34 PM   #40
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
I have a white 2 door 2007 Yaris HB, auto with AC, cruise control, winter package, etc, pretty much all equipped. I went to a Toyota dealer last week to check out a white 2 door 2016 Yaris HB auto that was being marked down for liquidation sale. Curious to see if in 10 years Toyota managed to improve the Yaris, I methodically inspected, compared and tested all of the car had as well as a test drive in snowy weather. Comparing apple to apple, the newer Yaris wasn't improved in any way, in fact, it was even less than my 10 years old one. Mostly regarding the interior, dash configuration, (non)existant storage space, the AC feature was only available on the 4 doors HB models, no dome light for the rear passenger, etc. Only good thing was the added side-arbags that my generation lacks (important for me). Drove exactly the same as mine, or I should say mine still drive like a new one, even with close to 200k km. Based on my experience, I concluded that my next car won't be a newer gen Yaris.

After leaving the Toyota dealer, I stop at the Huyndai dealership to see if they had something better to offer than the current Toyota line-up. Perhaps they did improve their car unlike Toyota. As soon as I stepped into the showroom, a satin blue special edition Veloster Turbo Rally caught my eye. After looking all the models with the salesman, the Veloster was the only Huyndai model that actually had a chance against my Yaris. Unfortunately, I'm still uncertain about Huyndai's reliability and low cost of maintenance/ownership, which is why I haven't bought one yet. However, I'm on the edge since the Veloster has an impressive list of pro and very few cons, compared to my Yaris.

Here's the list :

HUGE hatch opening that allows for easy loading of oversized cargo (which I often do).
Similar engine (4C/1,6L) and gas mileage (6,5L/100km highway with automatic).
6 speed dual clutch automatic transmission.
3 doors plus hatch (small door on rear passenger side, genius design).
Sunroof int he front and panoramic sun roof in the rear.
Heated seats, steering, nice and comfortable cockpit, nothing fancy or unnecessary, but fully equipped.
Good audio design for aftermarket upgrades (speaker location, head unit design etc).
Clean and practical engine bay design (very similar to the Yaris, no headache).
Sporty look, but decent ride height, very good vision all around (Yaris lacks the sporty look).
Interior is spacious, well though for storage, easy to clean, comfortable and won't age like most fancy interior designs.
Easily customizable in both electrical and cargo loading.
Priced surprisingly affordable (less than a Honda Civic HB) !

Only cons would be the unknown cost of maintenance and reliability, as well as a way more expensive insurance premium, more expensive tires (bigger wheels) and less off road ability (lower stance).

Since I use my car for 3 primary duties, which are driving to work (sometimes it means driving on dirt roads or heavy snow/ice roads, I work construction), carrying my work gear (which can be several tool box, ladders, etc depending on the job) and road trips (car camping and remote areas), I'm looking at what other cars can do better and without being more expensive to do. My car cost me $600/year for insurance and about $0,05/km in fuel on a road trip. It has enough room for me sleeping in (made a flat deck) and for loading a shocking amount of cargo. It's comfortable to drive even when heavily loaded on the highway and to do custom setups for audio, electrical, etc. Parks everywhere and can handle off roading, dunes, snow, etc.

The Veloster actually match up to the gas mileage cost, the ease of cargo loading, the interior comfort, storage and ease of use for the controls, lots of room in the back, great visibility all around, easy to customize the electrical and audio, etc. On top of it, I get the sporty look (I find the performance of the Yaris good enough for driving on public roads anyway) without the big engine expenses, heated seat and all those practical options like AC, heated mirrors, electric windows, intermittent wipers, defroster, etc etc. Seats are manual adjust, so no electrical/electronics to go bad over the years, etc.

The engine bay of the Huyndai was very similar to the Yaris, so perhaps the guts aren't that bad either ?

Overall, I think that it's a superb design and very practical while remaining economic on gas and purchase price. All of the people I know who have bought into Huyndai in the last 5 years are very satisfied customers, without recurring mechanical or electrical problems.

Perhaps Toyota should partner with Huyndai for providing the engine and drivetrain ? Because so far that's the only concerns about Huyndai for me. Plus seeing how the new Yaris isn't even as nice as the Huyndai, I'm very curious to see proof of huyndai mechanical flaws in the Veloster.

Last edited by David C; 01-21-2017 at 08:51 PM.
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:07 PM   #41
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
The bottom-barrel Veloster starts at $1000 more than a Yaris SE or LE, and about $3000 more than the L, so it had better be 'better equipped' than any new Yaris. Add another +$4500-5500 difference to that $1000/$3000 difference for the Rally/Turbo editions of the Veloster. The Veloster is competing against the Corolla or iM, if anything. Heck, the Rally/Turbo is as much or more than a Corolla XSE (top trim level). The Yaris is competing against the Hyundai Accent in terms of price-point & features.

In terms of overall reliability, I believe that Hyundai/Kia is somewhere around (below) Honda now (which has dropped in quality over the years). Not horrible, but somewhere in the middle ranges. Toyota/Lexus is head/shoulders above everyone else in reliability rating for their price-point, but they are also generally the slowest to adopt newer technologies and features - which is the trade-off for proven reliability versus newer cutting-edge tech/features for the customer-marketing woo-factor.

Last edited by Kalispel; 01-22-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:19 PM   #42
David C

$25k CAD including taxes and all fees, for a 2016 Veloster SE automatic.

The Accent and Elantra (both HB version) are only available in 4 doors versions (I want a 2 doors, but actually don't mind the 3rd door design of the Veloster), and have similar engine and overall dimensions, however they sport a very poor hatch design that gives you little access to the cargo area, not to mention the rear bumper being raised almost a foot above the cargo floor, making it impossible to load and slide in and out hefty cargo or very wide/high items like I do in my Yaris. The Veloster still have the raised bumper to cargo floor, however the clever hatch design means you can load from the top too, making loading heavy or tall items doable without much more efforts to it than a leveled bumper/deck.

Even a Accent offers heated seats, AC, cruise control, etc etc.

Again, I want a 2 door hatchback with automatic transmission, AC and electric group. Toyota doesn't offer it anymore (AC only in the 4 door HB, although an retrofit is possible, but parts and labor are expensive), and I don't like the interior design and lacks of previous features.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2017, 11:44 PM   #43
Kalispel

I can see why you would definitely want heated seats in Canada . Not so much for me here in Phoenix (Sunstroke), AZ. I haven't even turned my heater on since I purchased the car 18 months ago, except once to test it.

Also, check out this site as a tool for spotting potential chronic issues with various car models and years - though it is probably more useful for used car models with some history already under their belts - plus, more popular cars are more likely to have posted issues in sufficient quantities to spot problem trends.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/

-

Last edited by Kalispel; 01-22-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:19 AM   #44
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Also, check out this site as a tool for spotting potential chronic issues with various car models and years - though it is probably more useful for used car models with some history already under their belts (plus, more popular cars are more likely to have posted issues in sufficient quantities to spot problem trends).
http://www.carcomplaints.com/
Interesting website. Thanks, Kalispel.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:16 AM   #45
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
$25k CAD including taxes and all fees, for a 2016 Veloster SE automatic.

The Accent and Elantra (both HB version) are only available in 4 doors versions (I want a 2 doors, but actually don't mind the 3rd door design of the Veloster), and have similar engine and overall dimensions, however they sport a very poor hatch design that gives you little access to the cargo area, not to mention the rear bumper being raised almost a foot above the cargo floor, making it impossible to load and slide in and out hefty cargo or very wide/high items like I do in my Yaris. The Veloster still have the raised bumper to cargo floor, however the clever hatch design means you can load from the top too, making loading heavy or tall items doable without much more efforts to it than a leveled bumper/deck.

Even a Accent offers heated seats, AC, cruise control, etc etc.

Again, I want a 2 door hatchback with automatic transmission, AC and electric group. Toyota doesn't offer it anymore (AC only in the 4 door HB, although an retrofit is possible, but parts and labor are expensive), and I don't like the interior design and lacks of previous features.

Two doors? so you don't have kids. Then get a two door. In my case i will never get a two door again.They are annoying in the long run. Having those extra two doors helps you out a lot trust me. Except maybe when your kid tries to open the door because they being naughty.Thankfully the child lock system is great in Hyundai and KIA.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:30 AM   #46
David C

Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
Two doors? so you don't have kids. Then get a two door. In my case i will never get a two door again.They are annoying in the long run. Having those extra two doors helps you out a lot trust me. Except maybe when your kid tries to open the door because they being naughty.Thankfully the child lock system is great in Hyundai and KIA.

I don't have kids indeed, and I did take the rear bench out to make a flat deck. The longer doors on the 2 door model are nice to have when you load cargo in and out, since you have a decent access to behind the passenger seat even with the seat all the way back.

If I had kids, this wouldn't have been the car I'd bought. No side airbag in my current car, as I previously mentioned, it's a pretty important safety factor that I'm looking forward to in my next vehicle.

When I was a kid, we always had Pontiac minivans. Transport, Montana and Montana SV6. Those were very nice cars too. Before hand, my dad used to be driving 2 doors sports cars haha.

If I had kids, I would have gone with something along a Kia Soul, with plenty of room and still good bang for the money for a entry level car. Or a Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix.

I'm glad to be single :P

Old 01-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #47
Kalispel

Yeah, Toyota doesn't have very compelling 2/3 door option vehicles in the USA/Canada outside of the impractical, sporty 86.

I'm happily free and childless () as well, but find that 4/5 doors is more practical and attractive (to me) in typical sedan/hatchback form. I also don't like those longer, heavier doors in 2/3 door vehicles. Those are the ones that usually ding other people's doors in parking lots, along with chunky Trucks/SUV's

-

Last edited by Kalispel; 01-22-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #48
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
The Veloster is my favorite car design of this decade. If it works for you, go for it. I would get a used one for 1/2 or 1/3 the price, but that's just me.

As far as longevity and reliability, every brand has improved over time. I would even go so far as to say a bottom-of-the-barrel new Fiat would last longer than an average 1990's car. You will not be disappointed with a Hyundai. Even though they are not the best, they are far from the bottom of the barrel.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #49
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
Hyundai and Kia are undeniably world-class auto makers nowadays. I've driven everything from a Kia Rio to a Hyundai Genesis, and they're great. It's a company that knows where its going and has really learned how to build good cars and appeal to the right markets. Good on them.
Just don't get a flat tire in one...This world class company doesn't think you will ever need a spare tire. Also, better check your actual gas mileage in an older one...yea, they overstated their performance there a few years back....and got busted....world class.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:37 PM   #50
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
Just don't get a flat tire in one...This world class company doesn't think you will ever need a spare tire. Also, better check your actual gas mileage in an older one...yea, they overstated their performance there a few years back....and got busted....world class.
There are plenty of manufacturers offering cars without spare tires. BMW, Subaru, Mercedes, Chevrolet, Toyota (some Prius models don't have a spare) and the list goes on and on. Fact of the matter is, most people call AAA or road-side assistance these days. Do you know how many people don't even know how to change a tire? (Apparently, 60% of people are not confident in the ability to change at tire).

Yeah, Hyundai and Kia weren't measuring up to fuel economy standards. No manufacturer is immune to issues. Ever Googled "Toyota Sludge?"

Quote:
Consumers saddled with sludge-clogged Toyota engines may soon get some help from the Japanese auto giant under the terms of a class-action lawsuit settlement that covers roughly 3.5 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles damaged by engine oil sludge.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...ettlement.html

Just sayin'.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:11 PM   #51
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
Just don't get a flat tire in one...This world class company doesn't think you will ever need a spare tire.
I cannot believe that statement was actually made. Talk about speaking without knowing a shred of fact.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:22 PM   #52
David C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
There are plenty of manufacturers offering cars without spare tires. BMW, Subaru, Mercedes, Chevrolet, Toyota (some Prius models don't have a spare) and the list goes on and on. Fact of the matter is, most people call AAA or road-side assistance these days. Do you know how many people don't even know how to change a tire? (Apparently, 60% of people are not confident in the ability to change at tire).

Are those cars parts of current lineups (regarding no spare tire) ? Just curious as I thought every daily driver modern car had a spare and basic tire changing equipment. Although I could see a Smart no having one due to the very small space available.

They should make tire change part of the practical driving exam when you get your license.

Last I checked, all the Huyndai at the dealership had a nice spare tire under the rear cargo deck with a jack, jack handle, billy club and tow hook.

Maybe it's part of our Canadian federal laws for manufacturers to include such equipment (like the mandatory km/h speedometer, DRL, etc). All the cars I've been into (pretty much most common models of all makes) had spare tires.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:35 PM   #53
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Maybe it's part of our Canadian federal laws for manufacturers to include such equipment (like the mandatory km/h speedometer, DRL, etc).

No, it is not mandatory Canadian law. Lots of makes/models are now sold here with only a tire inflation kit provided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2017, 10:47 PM   #54
David C

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
No, it is not mandatory Canadian law. Lots of makes/models are now sold here with only a tire inflation kit provided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you list the most common ones ? I'm curious to know.