Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-29-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
pixitha
Pixitha

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Map Lights

So I am finding that the map lights in the Yaris (2007 Sedan) are REALLY annoying to use at night. I am a bit odd (i think) and I cant stand lights shining in my eyes from inside my car while im driving at night. Now I dont mean just light in general, I mean light where I can see the bulb and such. (so indirect light is fine).

My old car (1994 subaru legacy) had the best map lights I've ever come across. They were set back into a housing with a lens focusing the light to each seat. They didn't just spread light everywhere, and I couldn't see the bulb.

Now the Yaris map lights have a very large plastic cover to spread the light around (with a rather lame attempt to focus it) and It is horrible to drive with.

Im hoping someone might have a better idea than my ghetto rigged setup, of a piece of paper in-between me and the actual map light.

(When my wife and I drive longer trips she likes to read, or read out loud, and I know yes we could try to use a book reading light).

Anyone have any ideas?
pixitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:03 AM   #2
GeneralDon7

Drives: Yaris Sedan
What about an LED with the actual LED pointing away from the driver?
GeneralDon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:06 AM   #3
pixitha
Pixitha

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
I thought about getting that LED array some people have on the forums, but when i posted in that topic asking if the light was directional or kind of everyone, they made it seem like it was "Everywhere" so it might not help.

If anyone has the LED array installed in their map lights, can they help confirm this for me?

thanks!
pixitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
How about retrofitting the Legacy lights you really like into your Yaris? Shouldn't be that difficult, and it looks like you only need to narrow the housing and it might fid directly over the gap left by the Yaris housing. Alternately, you could create a blank plate to fit the Yaris opening (black plastic?) and cut openings for the individual Subie lights/switches. I'd just try to narrow/mount the entire Legacy panel, which should be $20 at a junkyard.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:34 AM   #5
Creeper

Drives: Silver 2DLB Yaris
Send a message via AIM to Creeper
if seeing the bulb is a problem and not the spread of light there is a special paper that they use for thearters and lighting effects that you put infront of the bulb and it makes it so you cant see the bulb but the light still gets through. had to use it on my dash vent lights. not sure where to get it or how much it is my fiancee is a sound and light designer and she had some of it laying around. looks almost like tracing paper but clear
Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote