Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-25-2016, 01:09 PM   #1
lovemyyaris2008

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Unhappy Totaled? Airbag problem?

My Yaris is a 2008 hatchback with 111,000 miles that I bought brand new at 16 years old. I am now 24 years old. This is the only car I have ever owned. You can imagine my emotional attachment This past Sunday, a woman ran a red light and our cars collided. I am waiting to hear from my insurance to see if it is totaled out, or not. This is my first car accident and my airbags did not deploy. However, I walked away with just a concussion, bruising and muscle soreness.

Do you think my Yaris is totaled? Should my airbags have deployed?

I appreciate any input
Attached Images

lovemyyaris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #2
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
It's totalled. I just had an accident with mine. I feel ya. I bought mine in 07 with zero miles on it. Just did an engine swap, paint job, etc. Crashed it three weeks after finishing up.

That is an easy $5k + in damages, I would guess.

Once the frame rails are bent, it's pretty much not worth fixing.

The airbag system is pretty decent, so unless it is hit just right, the airbags won't deploy. Unless you had an airbag light on, with an issue before the accident.

A little surprised yours did not go off, though. Mine did and I didn't hit head on.
Project so far: 2zrfe swap, Megan racing coilovers, TRD rear sway bar, whiteline bushings, RPM long tube header, midpipe, and DC sports xD exhaust, brake upgrade in front, MI stainless braided lines all around, matte paintjob, Takada cold air intake, various gauges, rear seat and belts removed.
Future: Turbo.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #3
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Definitely looks totaled to me. Also surprised the airbags didn't go off.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:10 PM   #4
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
airbag deployment

Also think totaled and surprised on airbags. Were you wearing seatbelt? Did your head hit anything?
Sorry for your pain and loss.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:43 PM   #5
lovemyyaris2008

Thank you for your replies.

@dogsridewith yes, I was wearing a seatbelt. No, I luckily did not hit my head. I did experience some whiplash though.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:40 PM   #6
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
Well I'm glad you are okay, though.

I know when mine went off, the bag didn't even touch me. Totally crazy.

Did you hit her head on, or did she kinda side swipe your front? It it was from the side the airbags really shouldn't go off.
Project so far: 2zrfe swap, Megan racing coilovers, TRD rear sway bar, whiteline bushings, RPM long tube header, midpipe, and DC sports xD exhaust, brake upgrade in front, MI stainless braided lines all around, matte paintjob, Takada cold air intake, various gauges, rear seat and belts removed.
Future: Turbo.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:44 PM   #7
lovemyyaris2008

@brushforhire thank you :) we were both driving through the intersection at about 30 mph, so it's like we collided, but it was also a side swipe of the front. Hard to explain. It's probably a good thing that my air bags didn't deploy.

Glad you're okay too!
Old 08-25-2016, 08:59 PM   #8
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
unfortunately that is totaled, our 07-10 cars are only worth around $6k so the damages are more than the value, usually if it exceeds 75% of value it totals it, some insurance are less.

if you are super determined to keep in a yaris, there are a few out there in decent shape for sale, so when the insurance comes back you still get the option to get another.

I am glade there are no serious injures. Thing can only get better.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #9
lovemyyaris2008

thank you @golddeenoh :)
Old 08-26-2016, 01:40 PM   #10
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Airbags deploy based on acceleration/deceleration sensors. If yours only has front impact airbags my guess is that because of the sideways (45°) angle of the impact, the sensor simply didn't see the required rate of deceleration to warrant the airbags.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008, accident, airbag, hatchback, totaled