Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-03-2017, 09:55 AM   #1
rafhelp

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.33 TR
Black paint that turns gray

i bought 3 cans of black custom paint for body respray

the last can wherever i sprayed, regardless of whether it had lacquer, existing basecoat, primer bare metal/plastic it turned gray. not black gray but primer style gray.

the guy i bought it off said it was just blooming due to moisture, but previous two cans sprayed in the same weather outside were fine. though 400ml seems to run out rather quickly.

i went through 2 full 400ml cans whereas i sprayed the same areas with same number of coats with a 500ml primer spray and still have enough left in can....

why does black turn gray from just one of these cans, could it be a faulty batch or mix?
rafhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #2
Kawiman

Drives: 2010 hatch
It's almost always humidity and too cool of weather.
Try shining an incandescent lamp on the area to heat it up or very carefully use a hair blow dryer.
It's an old body shop trick for laquer.
Kawiman is offline   Reply With Quote