Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Drives: '08 Sedan - Flint Mica
Unhappy Opinions wanted on "clunk" noise.

So I'm experiencing once and a while a clunk on the driver side. Nothing constant. It only seems to happen sometimes when I either engage the gas abruptly or sometimes if I'm taking off from a stop on a hill going up it.

So seemingly, it's when the amount of torque on the engine is changed abruptly. To me, this might point to some sort of engine mount?

Also some background, I believe I've already had a transmission mount replaced but it was clunking similarly but in the center of front of the car that I could feel/hear it in the shifter area.

Of course, I've had it at the dealership twice now for it and the response is, "Cannot reproduce." ...that drives me insane. Would it be worth giving them a suggestion of what to look for? Or would they take offense to that and spit in my sandwich?

I do have a jack and jack stands if anyone has any suggestions that I could check myself. I don't mind doing that... I just don't know what I'm looking for. Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
==============================
Debadged Rear; Blue Interior Styling; Toyota Sports Pedals; AM Exhaust Tip; OEM Spoiler; Upgraded Speakers; Sony Xplod BT 2600 Deck; Infinity Basslink SUB/AMP in Trunk; 16" Konig Rims; 6000k HID Bi-Xenons; 6000k HID Fogs; NST Short Shifter
nick.dollimount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Check clearances around your intake. That is a pretty recent change for you. Torque causes this engine to move a lot, and your intake may be smacking against something.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Check clearances around your intake. That is a pretty recent change for you. Torque causes this engine to move a lot, and your intake may be smacking against something.
Good point! I'll definitely check that. If I'm sitting in neutral and give it to the gas to rev the engine, will that provide the same torque as if it were taking off in first? If so, I could get my friend to get in and do that while I check it.
Debadged Rear; Blue Interior Styling; Toyota Sports Pedals; AM Exhaust Tip; OEM Spoiler; Upgraded Speakers; Sony Xplod BT 2600 Deck; Infinity Basslink SUB/AMP in Trunk; 16" Konig Rims; 6000k HID Bi-Xenons; 6000k HID Fogs; NST Short Shifter
Old 10-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Check the alternator as well. I shredded a belt recently and had the clunk sound before hand. The bolt on the top atlernator worked its way back and fell out. The clunk sound I heard was from the alternator hitting after laying into the gas causing the movement of the engine. Just another area to check, good luck.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
Check the alternator as well. I shredded a belt recently and had the clunk sound before hand. The bolt on the top atlernator worked its way back and fell out. The clunk sound I heard was from the alternator hitting after laying into the gas causing the movement of the engine. Just another area to check, good luck.
Adding that to the list. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #6
salmonz

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
I have the exact same problem. Dealer and other shops couldn't figure it out - figures.

I've been thinking ball joint.
salmonz is offline   Reply With Quote