Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-04-2016, 11:31 AM   #127
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
How is this compared to the 1NZ.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #128
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
How is this compared to the 1NZ.
It depends on who you ask, but I was getting to about 320miles when the last bar starts flashing.
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #129
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Yeah I meant your own back to back. So pretty close then. I wonder how a long trip would compare the two. Those numbers are pretty close.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:55 PM   #130
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
I'm sure you could bump it up to 35-36 if you drive more conservatively and turned off the A/C. At any rate, I would expect it to be better sligtly better than an xD or Corrolla because it is a ligher vehicle.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #131
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

So there we have it. The 2zr swap is smog legal(with certification), fast(I won my first autocross with it), fuel efficient, and according to the Corolla/Matrix forum it has no issues aside from sometimes needing a water pump.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:05 PM   #132
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
...so expect an "average" of 30mpg combined.
Not bad, considering that I get ~27 combined with the supercharger commuting on rural roads (55 mph) with LOTS of WOT action. Damn, now I really want this for my DD.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:17 PM   #133
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
So there we have it. The 2zr swap is smog legal(with certification), fast(I won my first autocross with it), fuel efficient, and according to the Corolla/Matrix forum it has no issues aside from sometimes needing a water pump.
What is your experience like in terms of acceleration and how it feels when driving compared to the 1nz? I know the whp increase ~30 or so but I'm curious as to how that feels to the driver. low end torque, wot pulls all that kind of stuff I'm curious about
Old 02-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #134
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

I wanted a completely unbiased review of the car now having the 2zr....so I casually asked my wife her thoughts and this is her unedited response:

"I have no car intellect so I don't know why you would take a review from me

To my absolute surprise, the car is extraordinarily SMOOTH.
(You know with many changes I've seen cars feel like you walk in to vibrator... ) but you certainly did an incredible job.
The car feels very stable!

You were right when you said you hardly press on the gas and you're at 80.

And since I can tell you, I have felt very comfortable driving it.
It certainly dependably GOES when I need it to, sometimes "the power" still shocks me.. "-Mrs ArmstrongRacing

My review is simply this: Its F-ing awesome, you can feel the additional power and torque more than you would expect, it pulls hard through the gears with ease and no longer even sounds like a yaris. Knowing in the back of your mind that your sitting on a better power/weight ratio than a Celica Gt makes you feel invincible.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:05 PM   #135
tmontague

argh you're making it so much harder for me to stay away from spending the cash on this swap down the road.

TBH If I ever did this swap it'd be more for the experience of swapping an engine and the HP increase would be a bonus. The dependability makes this so much more appealing than going boosted on my 1nz.

How did you end up going about fixing the mating issue between the 2zr header and the mid pipe flange? Also can you run a 2zr MAF sensor and just install it onto a 1nz intake tube (aftermarket intake), or will this mess with the ECU?

Any chance you could create a short separate thread (or a post on here) just briefly outlining what you'd have to do for the swap if you are keeping the Yaris trans and it is a manual? I think a lot of us are in that boat of wanting to do it the cheapest way possible (keeping the Yaris trans) and most of us have a m/t

Last edited by tmontague; 02-04-2016 at 04:24 PM.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:32 PM   #136
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Post #1 has a list of all the required components to complete this swap.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:46 PM   #137
tmontague

thanks. I just was re reading the thread and noticed you updated it. Your ECU is not the original that came with your motor correct? You purhcased the ECU from an xD and the engine was from a Corolla?
Old 02-04-2016, 05:02 PM   #138
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
You purhcased the ECU from an xD and the engine was from a Corolla?
Correct
Old 02-04-2016, 07:29 PM   #139
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
thanks. I just was re reading the thread and noticed you updated it. Your ECU is not the original that came with your motor correct? You purhcased the ECU from an xD and the engine was from a Corolla?
The trick for an MT swap is that you have to get the engine wire harness from a manual xD. Those are much harder to find, as they were a much smaller percentage of production. The body side of the ECU won't reach to the engine side of the Corolla/Matrix wire harness since it's next to the air intake/fuse box on the driver's side, whereas the Yaris and xD ECU lives on the passenger side. The alternative is to use the Yaris wire harness and splice the two together. That means taking them both all the way down to the wires, routing everything, and wrapping it back up with cable sleeves and tape.

Everything else from the swap posted here should apply. If you can score the midpipe from an xD, you won't have to have it fitted the way Armstrong did with his Corolla mid pipe.

If you can wait a few months, I'm planning to do this swap on my 09 M/T hatch. If not, you can get pioneer points for leading the charge. =)
Old 02-04-2016, 08:08 PM   #140
tmontague

Hmm, care to explain a bit more about what you mean in regards to splicing in the yaris harness to whatever other harness you're talking about? I'm assuming you're talking about splicing it to a Corolla or Matrix harness however I thought those require much more changes to pin location. Seems like an xD harness is ideal if you can find one.

I'm looking forward to your engine swap, I will very likely be doing this once my 1NZ starts burning oil and dies. Since it's a Toyota this will still be a few years away. But i'm just getting everything understood.

I'm assuming you have an immobilizer as well?

Sounds like your swap would be identical to mine in the future.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:44 PM   #141
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

I used a Corolla harness, and even though it is designed to end at the battery....you CAN flip the ECM plug harness over the valve cover and mount the Xd ECM to the cowl and then both connectors reach.

Im so glad more people are willing to take on this swap now, If you need ANY help send me a message here or on FB....I will respond

Last edited by ArmstrongRacing; 02-05-2016 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:49 AM   #142
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

We had a 2010 Corolla get traded in today, so naturally I inspected the engine bay. What I was looking for is cooling system differences vs the Xd, and what I saw was.....nothing really. The Corolla uses the same size radiator the Xd and Yaris does, just with different hose routing and fans.

The Corolla ECM is also much larger than the Xd/Yaris.....
Old 02-05-2016, 04:05 AM   #143
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Hmm, care to explain a bit more about what you mean in regards to splicing in the yaris harness to whatever other harness you're talking about? I'm assuming you're talking about splicing it to a Corolla or Matrix harness however I thought those require much more changes to pin location. Seems like an xD harness is ideal if you can find one.
Yes, an xD is ideal, which is why I lead with that. =) Splicing could be done either by removing pins and moving whole sections of wire, or by cutting and soldering/crimping as needed. Moving pins is better since it leaves less chance for loose connections or high internal resistance.
Quote:
I'm assuming you have an immobilizer as well?
Yes, but as discussed a page or two back, buying a non-immobilizer ECU and disconnecting the SIL wire from the key transponder ECU solves that.
Quote:
Sounds like your swap would be identical to mine in the future.
Potentially, though your profile pic looks like a sedan, not a hatch.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:47 AM   #144
beaker

Drives: 07 Yaris 3 door
Does anyone know if the Yaris 1nz alternator and ac compressor will work on the 2zrfe? I know Armstrong Racing mentioned earlier that the starter from the Yaris would work, I'm just wondering if the Alternator and AC Compressor would also.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote