Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-29-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
Canadian_R32

Drives: Audi A3
New to forums, need some insight

Hey all, new to forums and I'm seriously considering a Yaris 5door RS with "Package B" (Keyless, A/C, Power Windows) and few other goodies. First I'm going to ask for your honest opinion on the car (I'm probably going to get biased answers but hey it's a Yaris forum), second if I should get these "goodies" that I mentioned. Of course I'm looking at the Fit, but also the Rabbit as well.

The goodies I'm considering are, (prices incl installation and are in CAD)

Carbon Fiber Dash kit $379
Auto Dimming interior mirror with compass/thermometer $353
Lowering springs (TRD supplied by Eibach) $971
Borla Exhaust (I guess another TRD part supplied by Borla) $714.50
and center arm rest $102.25

chances are I won't get the springs cuz that's just ridiculous how much they are, the exhaust is what I'm really interested in.. has anyone here got the dealer installed Borla exhaust? if so how does it sound?
Canadian_R32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_R32 View Post
Hey all, new to forums and I'm seriously considering a Yaris 5door RS with "Package B" (Keyless, A/C, Power Windows) and few other goodies. First I'm going to ask for your honest opinion on the car (I'm probably going to get biased answers but hey it's a Yaris forum), second if I should get these "goodies" that I mentioned. Of course I'm looking at the Fit, but also the Rabbit as well.

The goodies I'm considering are, (prices incl installation and are in CAD)

Carbon Fiber Dash kit $379
Auto Dimming interior mirror with compass/thermometer $353
Lowering springs (TRD supplied by Eibach) $971
Borla Exhaust (I guess another TRD part supplied by Borla) $714.50
and center arm rest $102.25

chances are I won't get the springs cuz that's just ridiculous how much they are, the exhaust is what I'm really interested in.. has anyone here got the dealer installed Borla exhaust? if so how does it sound?

well, your going from an audi to this car, so its a downgrade for you.. also the springs you list are the coilover at that price not just the springs which sell for much less...

also the car is under powered...
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:16 PM   #3
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
those sound like some crazy dealer installed prices or something
Old 06-29-2007, 10:30 PM   #4
Canadian_R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
well, your going from an audi to this car, so its a downgrade for you.. also the springs you list are the coilover at that price not just the springs which sell for much less...

also the car is under powered...
no that $900 is the price for JUST springs (Eibach) installed.. labour is something like $550 or whatever... the springs themselves are $350... I don't think there are "OEM" or TRD coilovers available at dealerships.. at least not mine...

underpowered compared to what though? for it's class I thought it was ok for power.. definitely a snail compared to my A3, but comparable to the Fit... the Rabbit has a 2.5L with 150hp/170tq so you can't really compare... it's also a pig on gas though
Old 06-29-2007, 10:38 PM   #5
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
It isn't "underpowered." Its powered just right... to get 40 MPG. Punch, go buy an S2000.

All the parts you listed are unbelievably overpriced. If you're rolling in money no big deal, but if you value your dollar skip all that crap. You can get most of it for half price or less from our vendors here or Ebay. Of course, maybe its a warranty issue too. I don't know why you're thinking about it, but just make sure you think hard.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:49 PM   #6
Canadian_R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
It isn't "underpowered." Its powered just right... to get 40 MPG. Punch, go buy an S2000.

All the parts you listed are unbelievably overpriced. If you're rolling in money no big deal, but if you value your dollar skip all that crap. You can get most of it for half price or less from our vendors here or Ebay. Of course, maybe its a warranty issue too. I don't know why you're thinking about it, but just make sure you think hard.
it is expensive.. and it is a warranty thing.. I'd have to double check with the service dept to see what would void warranties and what not... I'm not going to buy the car and start dumping a ridiculous amount of $ into it.. cuz I can't... but I do want some uniqueness and sportiness for this car.. something I can really like "out of the box" .. my almost perfect car out of the box now would be a coooper S ... but it's like double the price of a Yaris
Old 06-29-2007, 11:21 PM   #7
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

I just can't fathom paying that much money for lowering springs and still have the car sit just a hair below stock heigth. I spent less on my coilovers.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:25 AM   #8
Canadian_R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
I just can't fathom paying that much money for lowering springs and still have the car sit just a hair below stock heigth. I spent less on my coilovers.
neither can I.. I'm just doing some basic research right now to find out what's out there... I was a JDM whore before with all my honda cars, so I'll probably go with that route.. just worried about warranty in this case cuz I will be driving the car a lot
Old 06-30-2007, 12:28 AM   #9
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Quote:
neither can I.. I'm just doing some basic research right now to find out what's out there... I was a JDM whore before with all my honda cars, so I'll probably go with that route.. just worried about warranty in this case cuz I will be driving the car a lot

personally I opted for no extra warranty just the basic three year standard warranty, I have no plans to mod the engine but the suspension had to be improved and toyota don't offer anything that suited my desires

I say go for it, get the basic options you want and mod the shit out of it and drive the shit out of it
Old 06-30-2007, 12:31 AM   #10
Canadian_R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
personally I opted for no extra warranty just the basic three year standard warranty, I have no plans to mod the engine but the suspension had to be improved and toyota don't offer anything that suited my desires

I say go for it, get the basic options you want and mod the shit out of it and drive the shit out of it
so of the stuff I listed up top what would you consider "basic"? if I didn't care about warranty I wouldn't get the springs FOR SURE (probably won't anyways) or the Borla... I heard it's not even cat-back... the CF trim looks alright though... maybe from all my boy-ricer days... the interior mirror and arm rest are nice features I'd get anyways...

extra warranty is expensive........ hopefully in 3 years I can get my Cooper S or R32 or whatever's out there.. who knows where my life will be
Old 06-30-2007, 01:03 AM   #11
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Quote:
so of the stuff I listed up top what would you consider "basic"? if I didn't care about warranty I wouldn't get the springs FOR SURE (probably won't anyways) or the Borla... I heard it's not even cat-back... the CF trim looks alright though... maybe from all my boy-ricer days... the interior mirror and arm rest are nice features I'd get anyways...

extra warranty is expensive........ hopefully in 3 years I can get my Cooper S or R32 or whatever's out there.. who knows where my life will be

I wouldn't go for the extra warranty or any of the parts you have listed from the dealer. You can get an axle back for under 300. and install yourself, springs for 117. or just go ahead and get coils for 850. or so and then just whatever else you want to do.

I say get the basic package you want as in. If you want a radio and rear wiper get the convenience or if you want cold weather shop for that or just a basic car with no stereo or wiper or anything and add it all yourself.

I'll never by another VW unless they introduce the Polo to the states and make some serious marketing changes. I bought this car because it is not luxury and I can tweak it to fit my standards and it's eco. You guys have some options we don't have so buy your canvas and have at it.