Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #55
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
I know it's an old post, but I thought I'd mention how well my 4x4 Toy PU responded to Redline MTL/MT90. Shifting became as smooth as silk, temps went down and noise level as well. It's Good Stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
Hello:

I have a 2007 Yaris with 75,000 miles and the 5-speed manual. Is there a scheduled maintenance for the manual transaxle?. That is, should the gear oil be changed at certain intervals?.

Thanks for any replies because I can find nothing regarding it.
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:00 AM   #56
CueBall
Ruler of the free world

Drives: 09 Yaris 2D HB
Sorry for digging up this old thread, but this is the one that got me to where I am today..
I recently had an axle seal replaced. I purchased MT90 to refill the trans. I had the dealer do the service. The seal is in and working fine, BUT I was thinking I would see improved shifting due to the MT90 being poured in.. I have not. If anything, it's slightly worse.
Do you think the dealer skipped using my provided MT90??? Could I tell by looking at it? Is MT90 a different color? They did charge me for a quart of their own oil, even thou I provided 2 qts (published capacity). When I asked about the oil charge I was told “it took a little more than 2 qts.”
I am seriously considering draining and re-filling it myself. Thoughts?

Last edited by CueBall; 03-21-2018 at 11:32 AM.
CueBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #57
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
In my experience mt-90 wasn't anything special. I switched to Amsoil MTG and haven't looked back.

However, there is no chance for more than 2 qts going in unless they either overfilled the crap out of it which you can't really do since it would pour out the upper fill hole. Or they messed up and wasted your mt-90 and/or leaked and lost a bunch when they refilled.

You shouldn't be charged anything if you provided your own fluids. Mt-90 iirc had a really bad smell to it and I believe it was a gold color. That said, most manual trans oils are very similar and I dont remember what Toyota's factory fill stuff is like
Old 03-23-2018, 08:28 PM   #58
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
it depends on the dealership. most of them will just use a bulk oil from a local supplier. they are cheap asses....
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:00 PM   #59
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Since my 2015 Yaris is technically almost four years old now - from sitting around a dealer lot in Colorado for almost a year (sigh) & then me owning/driving it for almost 3 years after that in the brutal heat/climate of Arizona, I decided to go ahead and schedule a manual transmission gear oil change with my regular Toyota 35K yellow service this morning. Nothing fancy, just the regular Toyota OEM manual gear oil recommended for our cars. I was out running various errands around town for about 3 hours after the work was done, and I did notice a positive difference in the shifting ease/smoothness of the gearbox, so it is preventative, peace-of-mind money well-spent in my opinion. I think that every 4 years or 35-40K is a good point to change it in manual transmission configurations, most especially if you live in regions with pretty harsh weather of some type, or tow/haul a lot with your car on a regular basis.

For those wondering about the dealership pricing of the service, it was $99.95 total for the manual gear oil change, which is reasonable when you break it down by yearly cost ($25/year). I am sure it is a lot cheaper to DIY, if you have the skills & equipment/tools/setting to do the work. The cost of the OEM full-synthetic 'yellow service' (oil/filter change, tire rotation, multi-point inspection, lube chassis, adjust parking brake, etc) was $76.95. My tires/brakes are still in good shape and have some life left to them (I figure until at least 45-50K), and no problems to report with car. I changed my engine/cabin air filters myself with OEM parts at 20K & plan to do it again before my next 40K dealership service. This has been a great little car thus far.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:33 PM   #60
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
For what it's worth, I emailed my Toyota dealer with this question a while back, and the service manager responded:

"Toyota doesn't have a recommended mileage for transmission fluid. They recommend it gets inspected every 30K. Toyota now uses a lifetime fluid and may never need to be changed until the clutch needs replacing or maintenance. in general, many vehicles recommend a 90-100K."

Thoughts?
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #61
beowulf

Drives: 2008 3dr hatch, 1.5L, 5-spd MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
For what it's worth, I emailed my Toyota dealer with this question a while back, and the service manager responded:

"Toyota doesn't have a recommended mileage for transmission fluid. They recommend it gets inspected every 30K. Toyota now uses a lifetime fluid and may never need to be changed until the clutch needs replacing or maintenance. in general, many vehicles recommend a 90-100K."

Thoughts?
I think $60 every 60,000 miles is a pittance to pay to ensure the transmission is well lubricated and lasts the lifetime of the vehicle. Personally, I stick to the 60,000 interval for manual transmission gear oil.
beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:32 PM   #62
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
The gear oil in mine was original (11 years/130,000 miles) when it finally got replaced when i did the clutch. It was pretty rancid. It seems a little happier for it since. I used some cheap semi synthetic GL4 75w90 gear oil. No issues so far. I will probably replace it at 200,000 miles which should be in 2021. I would have replaced it at 110,000 miles but i knew i was going to be doing the clutch soon so i thought it best to wait.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:26 PM   #63
soldout

Drives: 2010 Blazing Blue 3 Door LB
I now have over 206000 miles on my 2010 liftback and will be changing the gear oil in the MT next weekend. I dont experience grinding or hard shifting but I would like the trans to last as long as possible, still on the original clutch too. I am amazed at how reliable and maintenance free this car has been over the 6 years of ownership. 1 set of tires, 1 set of rotors, pads, shoes and drums, 1 battery which was replaced with a Optima Yellow Top, 1 drive belt, coolant and brake fluid change. I run Mobil1 15k mile oil and filter and change them both about twice a year. I also use a KNN washable air filter which I clean and oil once a year. I cannot think of many others cars that you can just drive with virtually no maintenance.
95' - Delsol VTEC ~ The Racecar
12' - Burgman 400 ~ Garage Queen
09' - Agility 125 ~ 80mpg Daily Rider
09' - Metropolitan ~ Weee
14' - Ecosmart Metro ~ Razor
soldout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:23 AM   #64
crpt2008

Drives: Yaris D4D 2007
For goodness sake gents, stop the ridiculous myths.
Yaris manual transmission DON'T have a scheduled "oil change". For convenience it can be done when other maintenance comes by. Like replacing some oil seal, removing a transmission shaft, etc. Other than that forget it! Check oil level every 50,000 km and enjoy.
This is valid for basically ALL manual transmissions! Period.

North Americans used to auto trans always come up with BS like this! Gosh!
No need to change oil, there's no "oil filter", there's no "oil pan". And YES, a manual trans is usually lighter, cheaper, easier to manufacture, return better performance, better consumption, with reduced or null maintenance! And so on...
These are a few myths spread over the comments! Remember this is NOT your traditional auto trans. There are some very good reasons why most of the planet don't like the old auto trans! ;-)
Cheers
crpt2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:24 AM   #65
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
If I understand the official servicing intervals correctly you should Inspect the oil every 48 months and Replace it if you run in under severe conditions or if it requires replacement. Which is quite vague statement and it actually gives weapons to both oil changers and oil keepers.

My opinion is that even Toyota cannot manufacture tranny so durable (and oil so magical) that it would still be "as new" after 13 years of service.

komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:06 AM   #66
Zedicus

Drives: scion xb
Quote:
Originally Posted by crpt2008 View Post
For goodness sake gents, stop the ridiculous myths.
Yaris manual transmission DON'T have a scheduled "oil change". For convenience it can be done when other maintenance comes by. Like replacing some oil seal, removing a transmission shaft, etc. Other than that forget it! Check oil level every 50,000 km and enjoy.
This is valid for basically ALL manual transmissions! Period.

North Americans used to auto trans always come up with BS like this! Gosh!
No need to change oil, there's no "oil filter", there's no "oil pan". And YES, a manual trans is usually lighter, cheaper, easier to manufacture, return better performance, better consumption, with reduced or null maintenance! And so on...
These are a few myths spread over the comments! Remember this is NOT your traditional auto trans. There are some very good reasons why most of the planet don't like the old auto trans! ;-)
Cheers
that mentality is the reason why the synchros in my XB are trashed.

in short, oil is hygroscopic, and worse in climates with large quick temperature swings. also, the synthetic oil itself will not breakdown per-sey, the additives (friction modifiers) and detergents will all happily break down over time.

believe what you want, toyota is no magician. they do make durable cars and they plan on most people being lacking in the maintenance department, no fluid should be in place 10+ years.
Zedicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:43 PM   #67
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
+1 on replacing it. Especially if you're going to take the time and effort to check it, then might as well replace it.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:58 PM   #68
Jeanseb29

Drives: Toyota Yaris RS 2011 (HB)
I did a drain and fill on my 2011 30,000 km m/t a year ago after winter because when the trans was cold (-5C and colder) the first gear was really hard to engage and the car had to be fully stopped before the shifter would move forward in first gear. Problem stopped after 5-10 minutes of driving. Went with Amsoil 75w90 and no more problem last winter. Smooth shifting, even with a shorth shifter. Visualy the old trans oil looked like it was still good. Im planning on doing a second drain and fill this summer with the same oil.
Jeanseb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:18 AM   #69
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
I recently had a drain and fill done with Red Line MT-LV in my 2017 Yaris hatch (65,000 miles) and the shifting is noticeably smoother.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote