Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
vortex generators

I've been using them for years, on airplanes. And in fact had some left over from my last installation, and too much time on my hands I guess, so I went ahead and vg'd the aft portion of the roof line on my '08 HB.

The spacing and angles are the same used in aero apps, it has been determined that putting them closer doesn't do any better, but adds more drag. Same with the paired angles, that's all been tested before. So it made it real easy to just use the supplied template and double side carpet tape to install. If I decide to make it permenant I'll glue them on with the same stuff supplied in the airplane kit. BTW, we're talking below 100 mph airplanes here.

The 1.5 mile dirt road to get to my place will make a perfect test site to spot any changes in the airflow on the rear window. What I am hoping for is a more attached airflow over the rear, and that is what vg's do. On a wing they keep the airflow attached to the upper surface longer, as the angle of attack increases when landing or flying slow. This allows for slower landings and as important better control authority at the lower speeds as you have more and "better" (non disturbed) going over the control surfaces. How this will translate to the Yaris is anyones guess, I did it halfway for a laugh (and no doubt will tell people who ask that it adds 10 mpg) and just maybe it may be not a bad idea.

I thought of extending them down along the sides, and may, I'll wait until I drive the wind tunnel a few times. I'll report back on results, if any. The airplane, a Rans S-7S kitplane. 3.5 GPH car gas at 90 mph. BTW, I've noticed that the guys who fly the big Cessna's or Maules (8 to 14 GPH) also drive big pickups or SUV's, they wouldn't be caught dead in a Yaris! Some of us just like to do more with less I guess
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote